Anyone know a shrimp that eats Cladophora?

Squiggle

Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone knows if there's a shrimp that eats Cladophora? I've been told that Darwin Red Nose does. I'm chasing my tail trying to get rid of the stuff & want a natural way to remove it from my nano tank :encouragement:

image-74_zps166f43e4.jpg

• HOF Member

Hi Squiggle can't help but what is Cladophora that's another thing I haven't heard of!!!

good luck

cheers

Ineke:encouragement:

• HOF Member

Here is a link aquatic-eden.com/2009/04/cladophora-algae.html

Cheers

Ineke:encouragement:

It's a yucky, stringy algae that I inherited & I'm fighting a loosing battle with it to remove it & I'm hoping I can get a shrimp to eat the stuff & clear the tank up naturally :encouragement:

image-74_zpscd59a45c.jpg

• HOF Member

you would think there would be something out there that would like it!!!

I'm hoping that the Darwin Red Nose does eat it cause I'll get a couple & let them have a feast :encouragement:

image-74_zpsf3e29174.jpg

I found that red nose and das and cherries didnt really touch the algae. if I used h2o2 they would eat everything including bba overnight.

I'd have to be very careful & I've never used peroxide before, the tank is only 8.5L & I don't want to overdose it as I've got berried females in there :dejection:

image-74_zpsc90a9df8.jpg

I dose 25 ml of the 3% into a 60L tank and have dosed every second day for 2 weeks before and havent noticed any ill effects

Ok sounds easy enough, so I just put it in the tank & it will get rid of it? Also, what sort of peroxide do I use, is the stuff for the oxidator ok to use? :confused:

image-74_zps9889a2fd.jpg

If you have the stuff for the oxydator spare then thats your purest form.

I just use the 3% stuff from the supermarket because im too lazy to order more oxydator stuff so I want it to last :)

As for dosing it to the tank, turn off the filter for 15-30 mins.

I use a syringe with a little bit of rigid co2 line so your hand doesn't get too close and disturb the water around the algae after you dose it, you want the peroxide to sit on the algae for as long as possible.

Then just plug the filter back in and watch the shrimp feast.

The ~0.4 ml per litre of the 3% stuff brings the total tank peroxide to ~1.2ppm (I think... someone may want to redo the math :) ) which is well below the levels found to be toxic.

Ok I'll give it a go, it won't have any detrimental effect on the plants will it? :confused:

image-74_zps7db20f38.jpg

using the 3% solution i havent noticed any affects when dosed directly on stems or leaves. Some mosses like subwassertang melt a bit but hey, algae free and a little bit less of the moss or lots of algae ridden moss.. i know where my choice is.

I dip all my moss tat contain clado in peroxide/RO solution. It's much safer for my shrimps.Abit more work if you have high grades in the tanks. Just my opinion.

I dip all my moss tat contain clado in peroxide/RO solution. It's much safer for my shrimps.Abit more work if you have high grades in the tanks. Just my opinion.

yeah, I should mention that tank is high light and contains reds, das, red nose and cories. nothing too special but then I dont let algae near my main shrimp tank ans havent had to dose.

I think I might do the dip in this tank. Also I was given some "brush magic" by AZOO yesterday & was told that it will be the best to get rid of the Cladophora, just wondering what your thoughts are on this product, only thing is it says to use 2 drops per 100L so I'm not sure how I'm going to work out the dose on an 8.5L tank :dejection:

image-74_zpsda092dbb.jpg

Use 8.5% of the two drops :P

Lmao' date=' too funny dude & how much would that be exactly? :congratulatory:

I'm thinking I'll put the two drops in 100ml of water, that makes a 1000x strengh, then dose the tank with 8.5ml, I think that's right, anybody want to help me with the maths? :dejection:

[img']http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a580/Betta_lover/image-74_zpsc172c1a8.jpg

What strength do you have the ration at' date=' also do you rinse the moss after the dunk, before you put it back in the tank? :dejection:

[img']http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a580/Betta_lover/image-74_zps55ce2e46.jpg

Wait till you see the stuff in my tank mate. DAS made no impact to it. LOL

----- Sent from my mobile so apologising in advance for any grammar or spelling mistakes.

I need to get more Bob, mine all climbed out of my tank when we had that heat wave in Brissie.

----- Sent from my mobile so apologising in advance for any grammar or spelling mistakes.