Identify this moss

OzShrimp

Need a close up, but it looks like java moss thats been grown under low light.

hmmmm i will try take another pic as i honestly dont think its java moss. having had java for a while i dont think its the same.

leave it with me i try take a better pic

heres some more pics

DSC00602_zpsc0ec55bd.jpgDSC00603_zps7f394b72.jpgDSC00604_zps13e8f92a.jpg

i hate java moss so when i saw this moss before i got it i thought it was nice and honestly dont think its Java, so i hope these pics change ya mind lol

I'm going to have a stab Xmas moss. I'm on my phone species I could be wrong but the leaf (whatever it's called) looks large enough for Xmas

I know this is pushing it, but do you have a microscope? Or even a magnifying glass?

If you can take a photo of a single strand on a white piece of paper i may be able to do better, but it still looks like low light Java moss. If its not Java Moss, it is Xmas moss grown under low light. Leaves appear to be too short and wide for Willow moss.

no magnifying glass :( if its java i am ripping it out of the tank. kinda disappointed if it is :(

hopefully these will help with conclusive decision lol. Not saying your wrong but i just dont want it to be java moss lol

DSC00608_zpsc9daf65c.jpgDSC00607_zps44167711.jpgDSC00606_zps57e034c6.jpgDSC00605_zps4f4739be.jpgDSC00604_zps13e8f92a.jpg

With the close ups, it appears to be xmas. Whats the lighting on the tank though? The close up looks like xmas moss, but the group shot makes it look like a sloppy java. Has it been growing long?

With the close ups' date=' it appears to be xmas. Whats the lighting on the tank though? The close up looks like xmas moss, but the group shot makes it look like a sloppy java. Has it been growing long?[/quote']

it looks sloppy cause i clumped it all together and superglued it that way lol. Is normally strand like from memory

• 1 month later...
Whats the lighting on the tank though?

Sorry i missed this. I got an UP Aqua Z Series LED.

bit of an update and the moss appears to be growing in 2 different manners' date=' heres some more pics so further input would be great. I really really like both types but the horizontal ones my favourite cause its like long grass lol

[img']http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u653/0zShrimp/DSC00863_zpsa1f75d86.jpgDSC00862_zps0c1bff50.jpgDSC00864_zps031250b8.jpg

Left appears to be flame, right is either peacock or xmas. Leaning towards Xmas. Good thing you didn't toss it.

EDIT: Actually the left could be stringy moss too.

i like the manner in which they grow :)

I got them from Kiwibigd a couple of months ago and its really taking off now :)

I am considering trimming when a bit bigger and growing some on tiles

• HOF Member

If you like and like the way it looks and then turns out to be java does it matter? As long as it looks good and you are happy with the way it is growing then keep it regardless. Java can be nice if kept under control. the others are better but nothing wrong with a nice bit of controlled java!

Cheers

Ineke:encouragement:

If you like and like the way it looks and then turns out to be java does it matter? As long as it looks good and you are happy with the way it is growing then keep it regardless. Java can be nice if kept under control. the others are better but nothing wrong with a nice bit of controlled java!

Cheers

What's wrong with Java? Everyone is so infatuated in the rarer mosses but Java is a great moss to have!

• HOF Member

That's what I was trying to get across if it looks good who cares what it is as long as you like it. I have been lucky enough to be given some very nice mosses by MickeyG and they are growing well but apart from a couple I don't know which is which anymore .I had a lot of java before that and I think they all look nice including the Java. It is only when it comes to resale value that you miss out with Java and the shrimp don't care!!!

Cheers

I am just not that impressed by java :) personal preference. I dont like how it grows