kms

bee shrimps with eggs

kms

https://ibb.co/VvS60rx

https://ibb.co/Qbp5pbg

It seems my tanks is ok now, my DIY chiller has been tested and work, temperature has been maintained at 25-27 degree celcius, the above photo is my current tank and the chiller, combine a aquarium water chiller and a PC water cooler in one.

Edited by kms
  • Like 2

sdlTBfanUK

That's quite a setup you have there! I am glad to hear that it is all going well at the moment. Have you had some extreme hot weather since setting up the cooler to see if it will work during really hot spells? Do you know how many shrimps you have in the tank now?

I have my shrimp tank to do tomorrow! I am still not sure how it is going at this stage though the nitrates have reduced, but won't rush into getting any more shrimps yet, the ones I want are out of stock anyway, thankfully..........

Simon

• Thanks 1

kms

Yep its been hot recently, about 29-35 degree celcius, most of my shrimps died before I got the new DIY chiller, but the new chiller is working great now, temperature of the water now is maintained at 25-26, Previous I have been turning my A/C on time to time when I see the water temperature reach about 28-29 degree celcius with the old chiller. Now the new chiller is working good with no support from the A/C.

• Like 2

sdlTBfanUK

THAT'S GREAT NEWS and should make everyones life a lot calmer in the heat! Any idea how many shrimps are in the tank now?

Simon

• Thanks 1

kms
43 minutes ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

THAT'S GREAT NEWS and should make everyones life a lot calmer in the heat! Any idea how many shrimps are in the tank now?

Simon

1 Red Wine

2 Black CRS

8 Red CRS

• Thanks 1

sdlTBfanUK

I would say 'room for some new shrimps' but it is probably best to hold off until after the trip to Taiwan at this point. Something to look forward too when you get back and see how the tanks did whilst you are/were away?

Simon

• Haha 1

kms

Haven't been posting lately, but have been keep tabs in the forum, my tank is doing well, its been little under a month since I added some shrimp, another 20 CRS and 5 RED Wine to those existing shrimps that is already in the tank, only had 4 dead shrimps. The cooler is doing well, I will take photo in a few days and post.

• Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

Always good to have an update and it seems to be going well now! I hope the ones that died weren't the wine reds? Great to hear the cooler is working - I plan to get one over the winter (ready for next year) if all goes well with the tank a bit longer.

We have had a week of 30ish degree heat here (record breaking bank holiday weather for here) but I think my shrimp have been fine as the max temperature was 26 in the tank (that was yesterday) so within the same range as yours have been keeping. The hot spell has now gone thankfully. I think I have about 50% survival of the initial shrimps I got and as the tank has not been co-operating from day 1 I can accept that and may get some new stock soon as it now seems pretty steady? Got that tank to do maintenance/water change tomorrow. 

Simon

Edited by sdlTBfanUK
  • Thanks 1

kms

Those that died was the CRS, I have 6 Red Wines now, I still get a room temp of about 30-31, my turtle water is at 30, but turtles are ok with various temp, my shrimp tank is at about 25.6 with a backup cooler if the temp goes over 27.

I might just get a last batch of 20 CRS and 5 Red Wine just before I go on my holiday, and see the results when I get back on holiday, I will keep an eye on my web camera, and if the temp starts going up I will turn on the A/C, I can turn on and off my A/C with my phone anywhere.

• Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

It is way too easy to get carried away with this hobby as we all know, especially when all is going well! I would hold of getting any more shrimp until you get back as you don't know what may happen when you're not there to sort it all out if need be. Unless they are very young shrimp that you have they will also breed quickly enough once they get started  so I would hold off getting any more until you return, and you will have the prospect of getting more to look forward too when you return?

Good to hear the red wines are doing well.

Simon

• Thanks 1

kms

thanks for the advice.

kms

20190829_164022.jpg

20190829_163950.jpg

20190829_163955.jpg

20190829_163929.jpg

20190829_164009.jpg

20190829_163937.jpg

• Like 2

sdlTBfanUK

Nice photos, I especially like the 3 red wines and the shed shells in the last picture. You sure keep a clean tank! Thats a lot of wires and equipment?

Simon

kms

Its more a bark wood tied with moss, tried many moss, this one is slow growing and has looks nice since I used it, two temperature controller with a water cooler, one it the main cooler, the other is a backup, one is set to 25, the other is set to 27, and a individual thermometer, other wires is at the back of the tank connected to the DIY cooler, I forget to add a background PVC film like the old tank.

Edited by kms
  • Like 1

kms

It seems like my shrimps are growing fast everyday, it seem lots of skin are been shreaded, is it normal. Also a few of my older shrimps are always fighting, are shrimps terrestrial.

20190829_163937.jpg

Edited by kms
  • Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

I'm sure shrimp aren't territorial. Usually in the past I have only seen them 'squabble' over food which is why I smash the pellets up so it can be spread around in the tank.

Usually a change of water will encourage moulting so any new shrimps will probably moult soon after being put in the tank! Younger shrimps moult more often than adults as they are growing quicker. I almost always see discarded shells (some people call them ghosts which I like) after my maintenance and water change!

Have you managed to resist the urge to get more shrimps yet? I ordered 10 blue bolts for sometime this week................

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

kms

I haven't got any new shrimps yet.

the larger shrimps are fighting at the corner hiding spot, not for food, I also mush the food up into powder.

• Like 1