bee shrimps with eggs

kms

My new chiller is DIY, using 4 pelter, my previous one only uses one pelter, and most pelter use 12V, and the fans are also 12V.

There is two ways to power, either 12V DC or 100-250V AC

For 12V,  using a 100V 250V to 12V power supply, with this you need a 12V temperature controller in between the pelter unit and the power supply, for this the power supply is always on, so you use a lot of electric.

For a 100-250V setup, the temperature controller goes after the power supply, the temperature controller switches the power supply and saves electric.

• Thanks 1

I couldn't wait, today I went to buy some Red Wine, they only had 5 in, I will have to wait to next week for new stock.

I bought some CRS shrimps with the really dark red markings 25 shrimps for USD 16. 

Can'r upload any photo's, the site I use Tinypic has closed down.

• Like 1

It was a shame they didn't have more red wine shrimp, though I probably would have taken the 5 they did have! Hope the new CRS do well, they are such a bargain? Did you get a nice mix of grades/pattern?

I spent a lot of time this morning getting rid of as much stringy algae as I could from the shrimp tank, it looks much better, hopefully it won't continue or come back with as much vigour now? My other tanks don't have any so hopefully this one will follow the same way given a bit of time? Maybe it is something to do with the different substrate this time???? It certainly isn't going as well this time round!

Do you know how many and what type of shrimp you have in the new tank now?

Simon

• Thanks 1

The 5 red wines didn't look good, I didn't like the patterns, its ok, they always get new one in, i'll just wait till next week.

These 25 red CRS all had dark red patterns, and I did get various pattern, this shop allow it's customers to catch their shrimps.

The old tanks has been cleaned up now, all the shrimps are in the new tank

from what I see.

2 Blue bolt

2 Red Pinto Galaxy

2 Red Wine

4 Red CRS

5 Black CRS

2 snails

2 Panda Loaches

With so much algae, may be you have too much red and white light, and is the light too low, I had this problem, but not now.

I use Black earth Premium Fine soil, I have 2 times of moss.

I also have a canister filter with UV light.

Edited by kms
  • Like 1

At least you have quite a nice variety and it was good some survived the heat problem. Very wise to not get the red wines if they weren't that good.

I used shrimp king soil this time (probably wouldn't again, the JBL seems better, though a lot of extra work at the start stage) and that is the ONLY difference so it may be that, and hopefully, as with yours, it will settle down given time.

I did a lot of reading about the algae but came up blank on that:

feeding fish too much? - no fish or food so can't be that

too much light? - is same as was before

and so on.............. just going to leave it to settle and see how it goes at this stage so I won't be buying any more shrimps for at least a month I imagine, but thats ok as the ones I want aren't in stock anyway?  They are all £15 EACH shrimp, the ones I like!

Simon

• Thanks 1

When setting up the new tank, a lot of biofilm buildup on the almond leaves, glass and rock, that what the shrimps were eating, I also feed the shrimp king snow flakes every few days, i'm having a chiller coming in, I've also purchased a electronic auto water top up, testing it now for when I'm going on holiday in October.

That's the last of the equipment i'm going to get, spent too much on the hardware stuff.

• Like 1

Here is a update of my tank, these are the shrimps I paid around GBP 10.50 for 25 pieces, you can see some of the shrimps are dark red, as shown in the second photo, I have a few of those.20190803_095232.jpg20190803_095758.jpg20190802_171017.jpg

Sent from my SM-G8870 using Shrimp Keepers Forum mobile app

I seem the easiest way to upload photo is through the skf app.20190802_170255.jpg20190802_171009.jpg20190803_095733.jpg

Sent from my SM-G8870 using Shrimp Keepers Forum mobile app

Edited by kms
  • Like 2

Glad you managed to sort out the downloading of pictures.

Those are fabulous shrimps with strong colour, and such a bargain! As you say, some of the red looks almost red wine colour and a coupe of black crystals I can see.

I hope the automatic water top up is working as intended and the new chiller turns up soon! I saw someone on a video (they didn't show how to make it but you could see how to make it would be easy) who made there own top up device which was total genius and so simple. I would have made one if it would ever be needed but as I am home all the time it isn't needed.

Simon

• Thanks 1

My new tanks is operating alright, the auto top up is ok, just need to sort and test everything is ok before I go on holiday to Taiwan for 14 days.

Just got my chiller in today, but they gave me some cheaper cooling block, it still works my doesn't cool do as fast, so i'm having a word with them, they also left out my order for 2 extra pelter, it seems I won't be able to sort them out, either way I will lose out. But I expected it, and buying from taobao.cn, it's a hit or miss situation.

• Like 1

I found that video that shows the homemade auto top up (genius in its simplicity) if you move the time to 2.30 and pause it at that point you can see it clearly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-ZWMGdKxJo&t=33s

Glad your auto top up is working and the chiller has arrived, and hopefully that can be sorted out to your satisfaction. You will need the holiday with all you have been up to with the tanks recently!!!!

Simon

• Like 1

I have a similar one to your link, the top up is working fine for the shrimps, my turtles are having the problem, the bottle one does not work with the turtles, not enough water, now I use the floating ball type  , but the turtle is always stepping on the floating ball, so I have to get a professional type.

I use this for my turtles

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.67002e8dUpFOGF&id=577391076030&_u=511ae863184e

I use this for my shrimps

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.67002e8dUpFOGF&id=564431818959&_u=511ae8632159

Both pump up water from a 10L reservoir.

Here is the bottle type, in a better presentation, I have 8 of them, if you want one, let me know I'll sent you free.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.67002e8dUpFOGF&id=593406027314&_u=511ae8638984

Edited by kms
  • Like 1

The water bottle one, as you say is the same principle as the video but a specially made top so makes life much easier than making your own. I haven't seen these type of top up over here? I appreciate the offer to send me one but I don't really need one as am home every day and we don't get that much hot weather/evaporation and only one tank (shrimp) has a hole in the top and there is a light over that anyway! Again, thanks for the offer, I just love its simplicity and use of basic physics principles?

Hope you get the chiller sorted to your liking!

Simon

18 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

I found that video that shows the homemade auto top up (genius in its simplicity)

Indeed, that is ingenious in it's simplicity. And so easy to DIY it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's handy being able to put it on the edge of the tank like that, though I guess you can't then use a top in most cases? I'm sure it would work with a hole in a flat top as well but would need steadying somehow as it would be top heavy!

Good to see the shrimp are doing well still. Did you sort the chiller out, I was looking at some today ready for when I next do an order, no hurry at this stage as want to make sure it is working well first as it is going OK but not as well as last time?

Simon

11 hours ago, kms said:

What are they doing there? trying to escape?

Can we have a full photo shot of the auto top up? Maybe some shots of the tubing?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jayc said:

What are they doing there? trying to escape?

Can we have a full photo shot of the auto top up? Maybe some shots of the tubing?

for the auto top up, I have 3 different type, which one you would like to see.

ready made professional type.

homemade type 

bottle type.

apparently the water cooler is so weak, with the recent temperature, the water temperature was about 35 degrees Celsius, the cooler wasn't strong enough, I had about half the shrimps in the tank which didn't make it, may be the shrimps in the photo found that place the coolest spot.?

Or you can click on those link 6 post up for all three, and ask me any question about them.

Edited by kms
  • Confused 1

I see the bottle cap top up comes as a whole kit with different fittings for different thickness tanks etc, very well thought out!

You haven't lost any more shrimps have you? What  sort of chiller were you looking at, fans or an actual water passing through a chiller?

You are probably right about finding the coolest spot as if you are using a fan and they sit at the top with the plant leaf protecting them from the heat rising below!

Top marks for persevering as you have (I'm sure I would have given up) but probably wise to get the cooling sorted before getting any more? I plan to get a mini fan set up and you leave the top off the tank and it clips on the side, put 99% of the time it will just be in a cupboard so not a permanent set up, we don't need that here - yet anyway? The fan one I am thinking of is supposed to cool 2 - 4 degrees  (in a 60L tank) so wouldn't cope with your 35 degrees still probably!

Simon 

• Thanks 1

I did lose half of the shrimps, so I will stay off in buying more until the cooling problem is sorted out, I have about 30 shrimps left.

There are many methods of DIY a water chiller, I still have two methods I haven't tried yet, I will try those before I every think of giving up until the weathers drops, all the parts for the water chiller isn't expensive so it doesn't affect my budget.

Parts should arrive in the next few days.

My be I should get a set top fan, at least it will keep the water down a few degree.

Edited by kms
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kms said:

Thank you. That was the angle I needed. 

3 hours ago, kms said:

JayC, let me know if you want one, I have 8 spare

You're very generous. But I am going to try making one myself. But thanks anyway. ?

Do you regularly get temps above 30 degC for many days in a row?

In Aust, we get hot temps over 30 for long stretches. The only effective cooling solution is a chiller, a real chiller that runs off R410a refrigerant. Not a Peltier or phase change cooler. Fans are ok, but they have a limit on how much it can cool. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

we haven't had high temp for a long time, just recently.

if you want one just let me know. I can post more photos.

Edited by kms
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kms said:

I can post more photos.

maybe another photo shot into where the two tubes come out.

Thanks again for the offer to post, I appreciate that but don't really need a top up, in fact I am being very lazy and don't even bother to top up manually, I just remove 3.5 litres at weekly maintenance time and add 4 litres of lower TDS via the dripper (calculated on a S/S) to get back on track! The tank has quite a thorough cover so I don't get much evaporation really and we very rarely get a temperature approaching 30. I will get the JBL mini fan set at some point but expect it probably won't be used more than a few days a year so will be more of a 'peace of mind' thing for emergency?

https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/aquarium-coolers/3100-jbl-cooler-200-aquarium-cooler-4014162604293.html?search_query=cooler&results=8 

The frozen bottles of water floating in the tank worked well a few weeks ago but it was only 1 hot day and a lot of faffing about, was worth it though as I didn't lose any shrimps. The bottles thawed out soooo quickly though once put into the tank! The plastic bottles floated and the shrimps were hiding all day (probably as the water was getting too hot for their liking) so the two never came in contact - if anyone is going to try this in an emergency, leave about an inch or so of air when yo fill the bottle and freeze the plastic bottle ON IT'S SIDE (not upright) is probably best.

Anyone wanting to make their own like the one in the video (I had considered it in the passed but as I say I don't really need it) it would be best to find a container with as big a top as possible, otherwise it is a bit unstable. In fact you could just put the pipes through the base instead so the bottle still sits on its base which I assume would work and be much steadier??? Be a bit trickier though as usually bottles are made of harder more brittle plastic than caps, but the cap would still need to be used to seal the container air tight as otherwise all the water will just end up int he tank.

Simon

• Thanks 1