Sign in to follow this  
Arkaedus

Shrimp Rack with partitions and shared water. Please help to do it

Arkaedus

Hi I am new with caridinas and I want to make a shrimp rack to keep them.

It would have four shelves and in each one of them would fit an aquarium of 82.5x29.5x15'5 and I want to divide it into two or three or four partitions that water communicate between them somehow but I do not know how to do it. Some suggestions to make the dives so that water is shared among all and that the young can not pass from one to another.

I added an image where you can see how the possible divisions would be interesting to divide it into four partitions but every division is very small and I want them to be communicated to compensate that they are small aquariums and achieve a greater stability of water parameters altogether all of them.

Sorry for my English I tried to do my best because I am from Spain and I am not English speaking.

Greetings and thanks.

Aquarium divisions for shrimp rack.png

Edited by Arkaedus

Madmerv

Hello @Arkaedus

First up welcome to SKFA.

There are many ways to do what you want. The first decision is are the dividers are going to be glass or acrylic.

Both have their advantages and dis-advantages. Glass is stronger and is easier to stick to glass so it will help with the strength of the tanks. It is harder to work with.  Acrylic is not so strong and cannot be relied on to stay stuck to glass with silicon so should not be part of the tanks bracing but it is much easier to cut.

So first up you could cut holes in the dividers and cover them with a small enough mesh so the small shrimp cannot go through.

You could cut the dividers 4-5cm short and have some mesh at the top so the water flows over the divider and through the mesh.

You could cut the dividers 4-5cm short and have the gap at the bottom. Cut some aquarium safe foam (filter foam) 6-7cm thick and compress it into the gap so there is no open holes. The water will flow through the foam but the small shrimp will not be able to go through. This will also add mechanical and biological filtration to the tank.

All three have their pro's and con's.

• Like 1

Arkaedus
On 19/10/2017 at 8:47 AM, Madmerv said:

Hello @Arkaedus

First up welcome to SKFA.

There are many ways to do what you want. The first decision is are the dividers are going to be glass or acrylic.

Both have their advantages and dis-advantages. Glass is stronger and is easier to stick to glass so it will help with the strength of the tanks. It is harder to work with.  Acrylic is not so strong and cannot be relied on to stay stuck to glass with silicon so should not be part of the tanks bracing but it is much easier to cut.

So first up you could cut holes in the dividers and cover them with a small enough mesh so the small shrimp cannot go through.

You could cut the dividers 4-5cm short and have some mesh at the top so the water flows over the divider and through the mesh.

You could cut the dividers 4-5cm short and have the gap at the bottom. Cut some aquarium safe foam (filter foam) 6-7cm thick and compress it into the gap so there is no open holes. The water will flow through the foam but the small shrimp will not be able to go through. This will also add mechanical and biological filtration to the tank.

All three have their pro's and con's.

Hello and thanks @Madmerv

I have designed the aquarium but before doing it I want to see if it could work or could the shrimp go through the sponge by squeezing over it? Or do you see well the design?

The heaters I have are 25W of china. These can go horizontal? My wife says the shrimps are going to electrocute and me too. Hahaaha

I say this because in the heaters box say that they should go vertical or 45º but preferably vertical, but I have seen videos on youtube that say that better to put them horizontally. Are there heaters that allow them to be horizontal?

Thank you so much

Aquarium with partitions with foam, heater and sponge filter.png

I added hoirizontal foam. What foam sponge positon do you think is better? In vertical or horizontal? Thanks

Aquarium with partitions with foam horizontal, heater and sponge filter.png

Edited by Arkaedus
added horizontal foam image

Madmerv

Hi

Shrimp can and do climb up things including airlines and heater cables so i would say if you had a nice bit of foam at the top, that was all wet for them, then they will use it to climb into the next section. A very close fitting lid would help but then you would have to move the sponge filter to going over the back not the side.

From memory, and mine is a bit dodgy, the reason for not putting glass heaters in the horizontal position is because there is a greater chance that the internal elements can touch the glass sides and when it is on that can crack the glass. Another consideration is the seal between the glass and plastic cap will have a greater water pressure on it at the bottom of the tank. Not a lot but if you have cheap heaters that might make the difference.

There is the choice of stainless steel heaters now that are not that much more expensive than glass. They are fine to go horizontal.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Adam Bomb
      By Adam Bomb
      Hello everyone! 
      My area of Michigan (48065) seems to be a black hole for shrimp enthusiasts, and my hope was to uncover folks I can buy shrimp (and hopefully moss) from locally. Since the pandemic has paused all face-to-face meetings for local clubs until further notice, it's been rough (and I can't imagine paying online retail ridiculous prices for shipped shrimp)!
      Since we only have the "City" field (for location) on profiles, is there a better way to find local people? I'd love any help you can offer. 
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Okay, so the title pretty much says it all... One of my berried tts just moulted, and she left the eggs in the moult. What happened, and why? 
      I'm going to try to save the eggs with some sort of extraction, and I'll be very careful. She was pretty far along. I think I'll use the net over bubbler method. Does anyone have experience with this, and particularly the extraction? I won't do anything until I have some idea to go off. 
      Thanks in advance.
      Crabby
      Oh and the moult is under like 2 hours old. Wasn't there when I started watching a movie, was there when I checked back after.
      Going off this video: 
      Hoping the process will be similar. 

• Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey folks!
      So I got myself a little 5 gallon (20L) recently (it was free!) to use for quarantine. I’m going to use it to qt some cory cats and maybe some tetras or gouramis for my community tank. The thing is, I’ve got it set up really nicely in my room and I want to have it actually stocked. I definitely don’t want a betta, but I found some super cute guppies on gumtree (Wild Thai Orchid) that I can never find locally. How many guppies do u think I could get in the tank?? The seller only has 4 pairs, so is selling in pairs but not trios, so that could have an affect on the amount. I also plan on adding shrimp, either of a neo or caridina variety, or native - like dae or chameleons. 
      So my questions are: how many guppies could go in the tank (assuming they breed and I keep the babies in with them for about a month each time), could I fit in anything else (with a pair or 4), like a couple of chilli rasboras or rocket killies, and will the shrimps be enough for a cleanup crew, or should I add an Otto or something?
      Cheers!
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Exciting news: I just purchased 15 tangerine tiger shrimp from a local breeder, in exchange for some of my abundance of endler fry. I’m starting the drip acclimation now, along with my other two tts males who I’m moving from my larger tank. I’ll add some photos down below once they’re in the tank. Will acclimate another hour and a half probably, and feed the fish a bit extra before they go in for safety. There’s heaps of good hiding places in this tank, and I can’t wait to see the shrimp utilising them (or hopefully not even see them)!
      Will update soon.
      Cheers,
      Crabby
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey everyone,
      I was recently (meaning today) given the opportunity to set up a breeding tank for some native inverts (or some harder to breed fish I guess, but I want to go for shrimp) in a fishroom I help out in. I've been trying to decide what native shrimp I want to try breeding, but then I remembered that it's not as simple as exotics. Can I get some input from the 'experts' (@Grubs, @NoGi, @Baccus, @fishmosy, @jayc of course, I know most of you aren't very active anymore, but I would appreciate your help if you see this message) on what native invert you guys think is easiest to breed (for a semi-noob who hasn't kept natives before). I can set it up as brackish I think, we have an archer fish tank there and are setting up a saltwater as well so should have access to those tools and materials.  
      Cheers!
  • Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• jayc
      It certainly has a weird colouration. At the moment, all I can suggest is removing the cholla wood and alder cones. Just as a precaution. I would also do a large water change, just in case there are any toxins that can be removed. 80 - 90% water change if you can manage it.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Looking at your great set up and from what we hear so far it is almost certainly something specific to this tank so removing anything that is different from the others is a good way to start. If it were that something was poisoning the shrimps by releasing something (pesticide etc) into the water you would expect that to gradually get worse as the poison level gets higher over time, and that sounds that that is what has happened! By removing the source (though we don't know what that is at the moment) there may still be some that the substrate has absorbed of course? Were the shrimp deaths all in one area of the tank (clutching at straws) and was that near the bamboo? I would remove anything that is different from the other tanks as a tester. Did you see a cycle on the tanks, I have never seen one on my tanks with a PH as low as yours/mine (PH 5 - 5.5)? I'm just interested as with a low PH (below 6) ammonia is the less toxic ammonium from my research. I doubt this is relevant to your problem though! Simon ps. As I say I had the same problem and was down to 1 red bolt (I think that died in our heatwave in the past week) just before lockdown but I have put fish in that tank for now, 10 chilli rasbora, 1 killi. I will try shrimp again when (IF) the post gets back to normal. I never did get to the bottom of what the problem was in my tank though in all honesty! Your tank looks same as mine, as does the light.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I would mix the new RO water to TDS 160 (you don't need to do the GH test everytime as the product you are using will mean that the GH is fine)! The KH alixir I use does add some KH but as I would be aiming for tank TDS of 180 (roughly, it doesn't need to be spot on, 10 either way is fine) ultimately then the extra TDS that the KH adds should be covered! From your figures above you can see that the GH+ at the level you used creates 1 GH at TDS of 20, thats usual! Simon
    • WaldoDude
      Ok thanks. Sorry yeah the TDS is 129. What TDS should I be aiming for? From what I understand when i remineralise my ro water, I should aim for a particular GH then test for the TDS that correlates to, which is then the TDS i should aim for in the future.  In my case, following the dosage for my Bee Shrimp GH+, my RO water ended up with a GH of 7 and TDS of 140. So should I aim for 140? A TDS of 140 is still a bit on the low side I think but if were to aim for lets say 170, would that mean GH would also have to go even higher? or will the addition of KH make up for that extra TDS?  I hope that makes sense haha just trying to get my head around it!
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Top up should always be pure RO water omly for the reason you mentioned. Can you retest TDS? It is probably still too low but hopefully going in the right direction? If the shrimp are having moulting issues then it may have damaged one of the eyes, I've not heard of one losing an eye though? Simon