Welcome to SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum)

Welcome to SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum), like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum) by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

NoGi    1,343
NoGi

So who's interested? I've started to do some backend stuff for this if we can get it off the ground.

• Like 5

Pickle N Cheese    0
Pickle N Cheese

sounds like a good idea

kizshrimp    252
kizshrimp

Way to go, do it guys!!

fishmosy    983
fishmosy

Brisbane is the closest capital city to me. I'm interested. 

Dpartyboy    0
Dpartyboy

Hi NoGi I an keen to help in any way I can.

buck    384
buck

if im not working when the meetings are planed im keen as!

NoGi    1,343
NoGi

I'll have some time this coming week to look into this. If you have ideas on locations, etc... let me know.

I'm thinking August for our first meeting? 

ura    14
ura

Depending on how many are expected, local libraries have meeting rooms. Let me know. I could give an informal seminar on the taxonomy and ecology of atyids. Hopefully, I will have my electronic microscope by then for some hands on stuff.

jc12    230
jc12

Good stuff. Would be keen if schedule permits. :-)

NoGi    1,343
NoGi

OK so after chatting to a few experienced people in this area it seems like we need to have informal catchups with like minded individuals initially and go from there. Kind of like our old SKF BBQs,

This is because, if we want to do it like a formal club, a number of things are needed like incorporating, public liability insurance, governance, auditing etc... Which can still happen down the track if we get the momentum. 

In the meantime, I am proposing a brisbane shrimp keepers BBQ catch-up at a park where we can still chat about the same sort of stuff that gets discussed in a club but in a less formal manner. No formal club also means not worrying about raising funds etc... to get started, hall costs and so on.

Once we have the numbers, it shouldn't be too difficult to take it to the next step which would be to incorporate, vote in a board and whatever else is needed. I just don't think we at that maturity here in brissie yet.

Facebook site for brisbane peeps: https://www.facebook.com/shrimpkeepersclubbrisbane.

Things to do to get it rolling:

• Get brisbane people to like the page
  • Confirm a date
  • Confirm a location
  • Like 2

buck    384
buck

with the addition of the fb page are we going to open it up to none skf members and let the qld shrimp fb page and QLDAF know about it and open it up to people on there?

NoGi    1,343
NoGi

with the addition of the fb page are we going to open it up to none skf members and let the qld shrimp fb page and QLDAF know about it and open it up to people on there?

Yes, feel free to tell people about the FB page. The club and SKF are mutually exclusive. It's just easier for me to post about it here rather than the 101 FB groups.

• Like 1

Kingo    10
Kingo

Sounds like a great idea guys. Absolute noob, so not sure what I can offer within a hectic work schedule. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• EBC
      By EBC
      Hi everyone, 
      I have been having a slow die off of my CRS over the last few of months. I am fairly new to this so I am not sure how to deal with this. 
      Tank: 28L
      Substrate: Fluval shrimp stratum (buffered to ~6.5)
      Current GH: 5
      KH: 0
      Temperature: 22 C
      Ammonia, nitrates, nitrites: ~0 ppm
      Bit of background:
      I started with 12 juvenile shrimp that I bought off a breeder in February this year. I started off using tap water (treated) with no problems. I got my first two berried females at the beginning of May. To this point I had had no deaths. At the beginning of June I had a couple (2) of deaths that I am still not sure the cause of. GH was low (2) at this time as I hadn't been testing for it, so that may have been the cause. Following those deaths I got some shrimp specific gh booster (saltyshrimp mineral GH+) and things seemed to recover. Berried females' eggs hatched at the beginning of June. One female became berried again in July. 
      Now the tank was a bit overgrown at this stage so it was hard to keep tabs on the shrimp. I didn't notice any more deaths until a recent move. Before moving the tank I removed a lot of the overgrown plants. Once getting it to the new place I only saw 6 shrimp (2 females, 4 male) so it seems there were a few lost between June and August. There was one small shrimp in there as well (seems the only baby who survived). 
      Since the move there was one death shortly after getting the tank set up. I chalked this one up to stress from the move. I haven't seen the baby shrimp since the second or so day after the move so I suspect that it has died as well. More recently I had a female die (at least I think it asa  female). See the first picture below. I noticed one day that she was behaving strangely. My shrimp haven't gone up to ride the floating frogbit since the first month I had them but a few days ago I noticed one up there. I went and had a look and she was just standing there. I also noticed that she seemed to be missing her long antennae. I snapped the below photo and went to work. When I got home, she was still there in the exact same spot. A few hours later, she was on the ground lying on her side. I poked at her and it was clear she was almost dead. Once I was sure she was dead, I removed her immediately. I did a test of the water and all parameters were good except pH which was high (around 7.2). Seems my buffered substrate had run out of buffering capacity due to the use of high PH tap water. I added some fresh substrate and did a water change with RO water and the pH is back to 6.5. Water change was done over the course of the day 1 litre at a time to avoid rapid swings in parameters. 
      My berried female was still doing well and her eggs hatched two days ago. She was active and seemed healthy the next day. Today I noticed her in the corner tipped over and not moving much. I snapped the below photo. I know the colour of the internal organs are meant to be a sign of bacterial infection, but I don't know what to really look for in a CRS. The colour in the second photo below looks odd to me. All limbs and antennae intact.
      EDIT: Just checked and the shrimp is dead. Anything I can do to try to determine the cause before I dispose of it?
      I am just at a loss at this stage. I feel like a bad shrimp keeper and I don't know what else to do. 
      Does this look/sound like a bacterial infection to you? What can I do to fix this?
      Thanks for your help and let me know if you need any more info!

• @farmdee6
      By @farmdee6
      Green shrimp  I looked at one of my green Neocaridina under the microscope, and I'm trying to determine if all green shrimp are like this... or just mine.  Any insight from other green or jade shrimp keepers?

• fishmosy
      By fishmosy
      There have been a few rumblings from Bob, Kiz and I about a new shrimp to the hobby, and possibly a new shrimp to science , which for the moment we will call Caridina sp. 'Malanda'.
      Thanks to Kiz for putting up some excellent pics of the shrimp themselves, which can be found here:
      Having kept both the Caridina sp. Malanda and the shrimp collected from Barney Springs (another possibly unidentified shrimp which we are calling Caridina sp. "Barney Springs", also rare in the hobby), they are quite similar in size, shape and colour and, in my opinion, could likely be the same species. These are currently with Ura for taxonomy so we will have some more info on taxonomy soon. Thanks @‌Ura.
      Anyway this is a report from where the shrimp were found (May, 2015).
      Water parameters were:
      TDS: 17
      pH: 7.4 - Water sample was taken from within the riffles which would tend to cause CO2 to gas off and therefore boost pH.
      Temperature: 19*C
      KH: < 10 ppm
      GH: < 20 ppm

Short video - excuse the rainy conditions

We found the shrimp only in one specific location - just upstream of where Bob is standing, in the long grass at the edge of the stream. We sampled further upstream, across the other side of the creek and downstream, and found none, including in areas where the grass was growing in a similar manner to where we did find them.

This is just a shot from further upstream, around the corner from the above shot.
      The creekbed within the riffles was rock, mostly covered in algae and some silt. there were no shrimp in this area.

The shrimp were found hard in against the bank, right at the interface between the water, the bank and the grass hanging into the water.

The shrimp were clearly coloured by sex - females were reddish, males blue. Note the large eggs for this species = easy to breed.

Male - Top
      Female - Bottom

We also found a species of rainbowfish in the eddies at the base of the riffles, a species of gudgeon, some sponges growing on the bedrock in the riffles and some macros (Macrobrachium sp.). None were in the same habitat as the Malanda shrimp.

This macro had a parasite attached - nasty!

• KillieOrCory
      By KillieOrCory
      I have decided to get a few more shrimp to create more tanks similar to the one I had a few years back in the video below.
      This 4 foot tank had a lot of corys and I had a population explosion of shrimps. Currently, I set one up with yellow cherries and another with orange rillis. Going to be looking for more shrimp when it starts to warm up a bit in Canberra.

• Zebra
      By Zebra
      Hey hey hey,
      Hows things everyone?
      Ive been getting right back into shrimp in a major way now, Had a few days spare so I got around to re-sealing an old tank I had laying around and building a quick stand for it.
      This is being setup as a shrimp/ low tech planted mostly somewhere for all my anubias to live I have some rather large varieties now, just some lava rock as the main hardscape, then course white sand, lots of ferns etc.
      standard aquaone heater, and the filter I'm running is an aquaone 1050 series ii. It's quite new I got it on the cheap ages ago and it's sat there lol.
      The tank was already drilled through the bottom panel from an older project, so I decided to run a closed plumbing system which seems to have stopped the notorious dead spots you sometimes get in tanks bigger then 4ft. And it's working great with only a relatively small filter.
      Probably Going to end up being for my chameleons and or something else. Loving life right now, even though I didn't sleep and it's water change day today haha 
      peace ✌️ 

• Topics

• pmasa
      Thanks for all the tips @Baccus, the route that i am currently taking is to get a at least on blue adult then separate it with a male/female and go from there. At this stage i am still waiting for them to grow to adult and to make sure that they hold their colour through to adulthood. @revolutionhope i have a feeling that black shrimp start as blue and the colour gets deeper as they get older until the point that it almost looks black. I found when i first opened the parcel with the shrimp that the stressed state caused more of the underlying blue to come out, before darkening again. I currently have 4 tanks at my disposal for shrimp, however i would like to get into the caridinas and devote a tank to them... As an aside i have found that the 3 females (+1 reddish male) in my 60L community tank are significantly larger than those in their own tanks, i am wondering if the slightly warmer temperature and significantly more abundant food is playing a role in the size.
    • EBC
      It was Fluval Shrimp Stratum which I have learned tends to have a relatively short life span compared to other soils. Will probably just replace it all in about 6 months when I move again. Any recommendations for one that will last the longest? And one that I can actually buy in Australia? But yes, I imagine that she was just weak from the pH swings from before. The three remaining males all seem perfectly healthy for now at least. I'll give it some time to make sure there are no more deaths and then maybe find a nice female to add. I have seen varying opinions on this, but how often would you suggest doing water changes (standard, not emergency) on a small tank like mine (28L)? I was doing them pretty infrequently before (~monthly; 20%) as I was using tap water so I wanted to avoid too many. Now that I will have an RO system would ~10% weekly be better? Or something else? Thanks again.
    • KillieOrCory
      Nice. Look forward to seeing the progress. I am too impatient to start from scratch but the challenge seems worthwhile to attempt.
    • revolutionhope
      When you added soil can I ask what soil it was ? Did you pre-cycle it? Also it's worth noting that if that shrimp had been through some stress while exposed to high pH they will have weakened immune systems and so other little issues can tip them over the edge.   More than once I've discovered problems and corrected them as carefully as I could only to still watch the occasional shrimp die over the following days and weeks still despite conditions being ideal I believe.   will     PS Just as an aside - ¥others will have different opinions and prefer to do multiple smaller waterchanges but my modus operandi when I feel that a tank is "stuffed" is to do one or two huuuuuuge waterchanges - carefully allowing the new water to drip in slowly over 24-48 hours and then leave it be. The three times now that I've done this to get myself out of a bad spot I have found that although some already weak shrimp may continue to pass away over the following days even up to 2 or 3 weeks later but the healthier ones bounce back quickly and are breeding already within a few weeks.
    • EBC
      No real updates unfortunately. All water parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, KH, GH, pH) were perfect on the day she died. All I can think is that the lack of buffering capacity left in the soil resulted in pH swings that killed her.  I added more soil and the water is back to being buffered at pH 6.4. I have switched to only using RO water now (bought 20L for now but have an RO unit on the way). Hopefully the substrate will buffer a bit longer now and this won't happen again. Just a shame as there are only 3 adult male CRS left in the tank plus the shrimplets from the female that just died. Could be a while before the numbers get back up on their own so I may need to replenish them (also a bit of genetic diversity would be good). How do people usually handle switching out substrate? Especially with baby shrimps around, that sounds like a real hassle and you are bound to lose some. Is there some special technique? Thanks!
  • Featured Products

• Recent Articles