SKF Annual Christmas Competition #3 - Show your writing skills

NoGi

The Task:

To write some content (Library Article, How-to, etc…) here on SKF that helps existing and new members in furthering their knowledge in the hobby. Publish it to the appropriate section of the site and place a link back in this thread. I will select a winner the day after the competition closes.

Because you are contributing quality content to the forum, I’ll waiver minimum post count for this comp. Due to shipping costs, this is limited to Australian SKF members only. SKF staffers can also participate as they will not be part of the winner selection process.

Timeframes:

Start: Now

Ends: 21st December, 2015

Winner announced: 22nd December, 2015

The Rules:

• Must be your original work
  • Can’t be published anywhere else
  • Own pictures should be used – where there is a legitimate reason to use an external image, this will need to be referenced appropriately
  • All reference material should be cited correctly – plagiarism = no entry

Hints:

• Pick a topic that is unique or hasn’t been written about too many times
  • Paragraphs and photos make for easy reading
  • Look at some of the frequently asked questions by newcomers for topic ideas

The Prize:

A portable RO unit, kindly donated to us by FSA.

566e18b01f631_1-70DIFSA.jpg.342e013d6afb

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Jo said:

Wow, awesome prize.  If only I had some knowledge to offer anyone else on here (about shrimp, anyway)!

You don't have to be an expert in order to contribute. :happy:

If you can't write something from experience, write from research but remember to reference your sources.

On 14 December 2015 at 9:11 PM, Jo said:

Wow, awesome prize.  If only I had some knowledge to offer anyone else on here (about shrimp, anyway)!

Also, don't underestimate yourself. You can right about how you maintain a tank, how you layout a tank, feeding schedules/regimen and why. Don't think too big. Remember everyone starts at the beginning, what do you think a newcomer needs to know about, that you can share with them. 

We all have strengths in different areas. ?

• Like 2

Last day to get your entries in folks. With only 2 entries so far and such a great prize, odds of winning are pretty good. To help motivate people, there will be a 2nd and 3rd prize from what's remaining on the Christmas tree.

5667a997db7ff_SKFShrimpmas2015.thumb.png

• Like 2

Hey just checking but, is the link correct? There is 2 aquarium RO units on the FSA site, the more expensive one is labelled "portable" while the one linked does not state this. But i could have sworn I originally saw the one labelled "portable" being linked... I could be wrong :) @NoGi ? :)

Thanks NoGi. Was just curious if it was the other one, as the drinking water + aquarium water version would be awesome. Might have to buy one if I don't win the competition.... Our tap water isn't very tasty according to my wife haha.

Edited by s1l3nt

11 hours ago, jayc said:

Here's mine...

Just wondering why you enter a competition to win an RO unit with an article stating you already are using RO water?  Kind of ironic :P

55 minutes ago, FMuscle said:

Just wondering why you enter a competition to win an RO unit with an article stating you already are using RO water?  Kind of ironic :P

:P There are no restrictions to entering this comp that restricts anyone who already owns one from entering.

Mine is due for a replacement.

I have 4 tanks, so my RO unit is running almost daily. Output is reading almost TDS 10ppm

Edited by jayc

Tough choice, I'm going to seek counsel from a couple of sponsors before making a decision on the winner(s). Topic will remain locked until then.

• Like 1

Ok, after much deliberating and seeking of external feedback, I've decided to award prizes to all entries. But as with any comp there can only be one winner:

@s1l3nt - RO Unit - your pics are awesome as was the article. Hope to see more pics from you here on SKF.

Other prizes are as follows, and you guys were not far behind either:

@jc12 - Up Aqua U series (planted) 90cm LED courtesy of @newbreed

@FMuscle - Shrimp Pack courtesy of @ageofaquariums

@jayc - Shrimp Poster courtesy of @Squiggle

Great work guys. PM me your name, address and contact number so that I can pass onto the sponsors.

• Like 3

• NoGi unlocked this topic

Oh my god, woo hoo!!!! :D Cant believe I won! This seriously has made my month! Been having a shocker all month but this really turns things around for me.  Ending the year on a good note! :)

Thank you guys so much! Special thanks go to SKF, and all the sponsors, especially FSA. And also a special thanks to you @NoGi for organising the competition :) Will PM you now.

The consolidation prices are excellent too! Props to the sponsors for fronting them for us and well done everyone. 

I have some shrimp shots to update my post here which has been quiet for a while as I have mainly been lurking more than posting! I'll update my thread very soon, promise :)

• Like 3

Congrats everyone! Some brilliant write ups, amazing images and very useful information!!

May have to build a new tank now!! Thanks @FMuscle

5 hours ago, newbreed said:

Congrats everyone! Some brilliant write ups, amazing images and very useful information!!

May have to build a new tank now!! Thanks @FMuscle

Not forcing you to anything, but do it! :cool:

• Like 1