My bluebolts - help with grading

Hi all,

So I've been breeding TBs for about 18 months or so now.  It's getting to the point that I never could have imagined, where I have nearly too many shrimp (if there can ever be such a thing?!).  I'm thinking of maybe selling some (or even putting some into the live auction in September) but I don't really understand the gradings for TBs.  I figured if I posted some pics of my BBs you could comment on whether they are good or not - I'd hate to misrepresent to someone what I'm selling. 

Ok, so on to the good bit, the pics! 

1. I have some BBs that are mostly navy all over.  I know their colour gets deeper as they get older, which is why it's mostly the larger shrimp I have that are this colour. 

20781829819_4ea1829ef5_z.thumb.jpg.04857

2. At the other end of the scale, I also have some that are mostly white, with just a little smattering of light blue on their heads.

20958808592_2d6fcdc899_z.thumb.jpg.612d4

3. I also have some that aren't completely blue, but the blue they do have is almost a metallic blue speckle.  I'm not sure if this one is just a juvie who is going to grow into a full-navy style BB when slightly older.

20968610915_41ca509b1e_z.thumb.jpg.7ae54

4. Here's a family shot - anybody else's BBs tend to stick together in their tank?  Or is it just coincidence?

20346031434_336272bb69_z(1).thumb.jpg.c7

5. Finally, I think this is my favourite BB. I am wondering whether this shrimp is a result of a shadow panda TB x tibee.  There are some slightly brown-ish/clear patches on it's back that matched the colour of the tibee.  At first I thought it could be some kind of BB mischling, but my tank has always been 100% pure TB (with 1 Tibee for 6 months).  Even though the colour isn't the same from the head to the tail, I think this shrimp is beautiful.  The blue colour shines metallic under the lights and it looks spectacular, the photo really doesn't do it justice.  Is it possible to get a BB from a shadow panda x tibee?  Am I the only person who thinks a non-uniform colouration on a BB is nicer than the solid navy?  

20782068879_166fc532f3_z.thumb.jpg.d5b5b

Anyway, thanks for reading if you got this far!  Looking forward to hearing everyone's comments and thoughts.

• Like 2

I am quite interested in some guidance for this too.

I think there are different patterns of blue bolts. Going the traditional blue head light blue or white body all the why to the extreme bb's or mosura bb's. 

I think to grade the quality of the shrimp it still to do with the colour in the the legs, thickness of the shell etc.

Hopefully someone can correct me if i am talking hot air lol

I was wondering how you can tell the thickness of the shell?  Is there some kind of visual marker normally or do you have to get out a really really tiny ruler?

• Like 1