moss ID please

perplex

post-1081-0-40993800-1427973210_thumb.jp

also what other moss's are neat like this?

i dont like peacock moss anymore

post-1081-0-40993800-1427973210_thumb.jp

Edited by perplex

I usually dont comment on moss ID its to hard because it grows so different for every one.

I think with most mosses, to get that effect you will have to keep them trimmed all the time, nearly any moss can be made to look like that.

Bob

Isnt'it Chrismas moss (Vesicularia montagnei)?

Same kind of "leaves" than the pearl, but grows in triangle

Edited by Matuva

I usually dont comment on moss ID its to hard because it grows so different for every one.

I think with most mosses, to get that effect you will have to keep them trimmed all the time, nearly any moss can be made to look like that.

Bob

+1 to Bob's comment.

Don't be fooled into thinking the moss in that picture grows like that.

It needs meticulous trimming and grooming. Ie. hard work.

As Bob said, I think trimming is key to getting any moss to look like that.

Pearl moss naturally grows like this

This is MY pearl moss

Untrimmed and untouched since I placed it in there on a mini shrimp cave

post-118-0-32509200-1428019221_thumb.jpg

post-118-0-32509200-1428019221_thumb.jpg

Edited by 2OFUS

Hey sorry to hijack - but speaking of lowlight.. my tanks get intense light from window. Lots more lumens penetrating through the water than any standard lights ive noticed. Moss is growing slowly for me though in most of my tanks. Is this just lack of nutrients as tanks are lightly stocked? Nitrates Always read 0, theres no discernible algae - but I just thought perhaps would I get a better result if I shade the sunlight a bit?

Poss

Hey sorry to hijack - but speaking of lowlight.. my tanks get intense light from window. Lots more lumens penetrating through the water than any standard lights ive noticed. Moss is growing slowly for me though in most of my tanks. Is this just lack of nutrients as tanks are lightly stocked? Nitrates Always read 0, theres no discernible algae - but I just thought perhaps would I get a better result if I shade the sunlight a bit?

I dont think intense light would be slowing growth. Growth of plants depends on three factors (light, nutrients and CO2). If any one of the three is low, the mosses will grow slow. I would suggest increasing both nutrients and CO2 if you want to see faster growth. The risk is that you could get algae growing quickly, so it might be best to leave well enough alone.

• Like 1

Bob

yea i know, but i like the green colour of it, alot of other moss's are dull dark green ect

thanks for the replys

The Green might be to do with the light over the tank??

Moss are a really hard one to ID accurately, the Scientists that ID moss do it under a scope and look at the leaf formations and many other things, not the over all shape a growing form, growing conditions make a huge difference to how they grow and look, the easy ones are flame, pearl and ones like that. The one in the photo on the tree has the classic triangular growth.

I bought Xmas moss years ago and a scientist ID it as normal Java, it was grown differently, Java is a broad sword to draw but a number I have bought and sent off came back as the same thing from the same scientist. She loathed doing OS moss, as she held a strong view it should not be here. Retired now DAM.

There is a member here that may shed some light on the subject as they work in that field.

Bob

Edited by northboy
  • Like 1