chicken's heart

chonghanhow

Got any pics ?

I occasionally feed my shrimps cooked chicken breast

And I also give them green grapes and other not so commonly used foods

I think it would be a good food in MODERATION, from what I am told Beef heart is not so popular with the Discus breeders these day?? I havent had Discus for years so I am out of touch, may be wrong. 

In the wild Shrimp will chow down on any thing at all. I would suspect they would get a fair amount of protein in the wild. 

Bob

• 2 months later...

Beef heart is no good for any type of bony fish as they can't process the saturated fats. Heart has less than the other body parts but still not much good. It is/was popular with cichlid breeders because it's cheap and bulks them up quickly. It leads to fat ugly fish with unhealthy fat deposits on their organs, and a considerably shortened lifespan. The same goes for all mammal meats and probably poultry too, although I haven't checked that specifically. An exception could be made for anyone keeping Great White Sharks. 

I probably don't need to specifically voice my opinion of those breeders, you can read between the lines in my statements above. 

I imagine the same goes for shrimp. As I understand it animals don't specifically need protein in their diet; they need the amino acids that make up the protein - and the amino acid profile of these meats is not optimal for shrimp. I consider prawns, squid and mussels as far superior sources. 

Well said Kiz, I used beef heart for a short while many years ago and did not like what I was seeing with the fish, so used prawn instead with the same out come and better colour.

Shrimp will eat any thing, but that is some thing they are unlikely to get in the wild and with so many foods for shrimp these days, I don't think there is a need for mammal products, thought only no finger pointing or picking on any one

Bob

Absolutely Bob, I'm not picking on anyone here. As always my comments are for educational purposes. Something I thought of after writing the post above is fat ugly rainbows fed too much of the wrong proteins. Of course they like plants and insects. 

The cichlid breeders I referred to above were well aware of the damage they were doing to their fish, but profit margins were more important. 

Was not pointing at you Kiz, covering my ass.

I gave up giving fish mammal protein long ago, yep it makes the fat, to fat.

Some thing I noticed was Electric yellows feed to much fat, high protein food and hart, had a lot of black I them, put the same fish on 100% veg and they went a nice yellow again, in time.

Shrimp go for any thing and I have seen it in the wild many times, but not mammal's that died in the water?? they were western rivers both times I spotted it and not many shrimp in those rivers in question, so could not form a view on that one. To clear that up there were Macrobrachium on the carcases no Caridina's

Bob