Chiller installation for nano tank

Sprae

As some of you may know, I've been planning to install the chiller into my nano for some time. Here's a quick review of thesetup;

- Fluval Edge 23L nano tank

- Filter A > Aquaclear HOB

- Filter B > Eden 501 (to be replaced by Filter C)

- Filter C > new Eheim 2213 (to run the required flow for chiller)

- Fluval Tronic 50w heater

- JBJ Mini-Arctica Chiller

I've setup the chiller and filter in the garage and running for a few days now making sure all equipment is in working order. In the process I've got the filter layered bottom up with sponge, substrate pro, wool, carbon and space for most of the old media from the 501 (matrix and a bag of purigen). This will hopefully seed the new filter faster. I've noticed the flow from the 2213 isn't as strong as I feared (strong flow is a bad idea for nano tanks) so in time it will slow even more which I don't mind just as long as the chiller works.

Another problem is the 16mm tubing into the Edge, which simply won't fit as I want to keep the HOB for top ups and emergency media changes. I'll keep the existing 12mm tubing from the 501 for the new system. This way I can use the existing inflow and outflow pipes and pre-filter sponge.

Ok here's my plan on connection to the tank;

- Clear the new chiller-filter system of water

- Shut down the Eden 501

- Transfer all media into the 2213

- Put the new equipment in place

- Connect the old 12mm tubing to the new 16mm with adapters (thanks to Marcus for the idea and adapters!)

- Fill the filter with tank water and force as much air out through the chiller

- Start the new system and shake out as much air from filter as possible (Edge is filled flushed to the top)

- If all works well, drip-line top up the tank with RO mineral mixed water.

- Pray that my shrimps won't die in the process!

Any advice is appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally found away to fit the new chiller+filter into my nano! Here's what I did;

1 - The tricky part was plugging in the system. The eBay adapters didn't work as they were way too big. I went to good old Bunnings and bought 2 10-12mm adapters, 4 hose clamps, 10mm x 5 meter hose.

2 - I've had to remove all the current 8mm hose from the Eden, and replace with 10mm hose with an even tighter fit behind the HOB in the small Edge filter column.

3 - Placed the small amount of used matrix into the 2213 and added more matrix filled to the top. 2213 media has 40% Substrat Pro, 40% matrix, 20% sponge, wool and carbon.

4 - Fitting the 10mm hose to old Eden inflow and outflow pipes worked well as these are small enough for tight opening of the Edge.

5 - All those part fitted well and used tank water to fill up the filter. The initial start up was trick as I had to get all the air out and prime the 2213, but got it going after 30mins.

6 - Once all was done, I drip-line top up the tank over a few hours and after 24hrs there's no deaths and also spotted more babies!

The flow is certainly stronger but not so much as to impact the shrimps too much. I'll give the system a week to bed in and see if there's any affects to the tank. There's a slight impeller noise which I can't get rid off, as I think the small hose and fittings is limiting the filter power. Hopefully that won't affect the 2213 too much and the noise may go away in time.

Here's some photos of the system.

Photo-28-10-12-12-54-01-PM.jpgPhoto-28-10-12-12-54-31-PM.jpgPhoto-28-10-12-12-55-03-PM.jpg

Bro sprae, think you better place the filter away from the back of the chiller.. Or else the hot air from the chiller will be warming up those in the filter (or the filter itself is heating up)..

But good set up!

Bro sprae' date=' think you better place the filter away from the back of the chiller.. Or else the hot air from the chiller will be warming up those in the filter (or the filter itself is heating up)..

But good set up![/quote']

Thanks for the advice Alvin. If I put it to the side of the chiller, would that work?

i can see the from the pic, there is vents on the side for your compressor to breathe so probably no so good idea either. whats on the left side?

i can see the from the pic' date=' there is vents on the side for your compressor to breathe so probably no so good idea either. whats on the left side?[/quote']

Same size vents.

good setup mate. Is 2213's flow enough for the chiller.?

Technically yes, just within the flow requirements. But who knows if in time the flow slows down too much from clogged filter or aged set up. HexaD had the same set up and have ensured me that it's fine.

i had a prefilter infront of the 2213 before going into the chiller, and still the flow was very good! just be mindful if your using a spray bar you have to keep it clean and make sure its not clogged, otherwise should be great going forward, hope the chiller will meet your needs during summer, has it been hot enough to test it out once?

and awesome setup, but have you any upgrade plans yet? this beast is overkill on the fluval edge lol

Mate I've got multiple plans but need time to convince the wife ;)

Haven't had a hot day yet but there's a few 30c days coming up and see if it works as intended. No spray bar just using the old Eden fittings to angel the flow.

I do love overkill filtering for a 23L tank with chiller :triumphant:

BTW, I'm staying up watching the derby, are you?

2-2 now' date=' dodgy defending, great for neauts tho![/quote']

We've got no confidence or playing to plan. BR will be pissed