Sign in to follow this  
buck

Chitinolytic bacterial disease?

buck

tumblr_nhspfwChc71qjnrnyo1_500.jpg

Chitinolytic bacterial disease, Shell disease, Brown spot disease, Black spot disease, Burned spot disease, Rust disease? A few of my snowballs are coming down with this. im not sure if it was the new shrimp but its a little sus that after I added them to the tank I have an out break ive never had before. has any one got any tips?

my ammonia was up a little at.25ppmish Nitrate and Nitrite 0 Kh 71-89 tds 177 temp is 26. So fare i have droped 1/3 of the water, boiled so cholla wood and added the water to the 1/3 water replacement to get some tannins in there. And added 2 caps of prime to the system to drop the ammonia quickly. I could probably drag a portable ac in to drop the temp down if its going to help

2OFUS

i d also boil Afew almond leaves and make a concentrate almond leave tea and add it in little bits to ur whole system

I'd also add alittle bit of internal parasite clear just Incase it helps the shrimp

2OFUS

Indian almond leaves are also an anti bacterial

• Like 1

buck

Ok ive been snapping away geting post mortem pics and some on live shrimp, a couple off them look like its turned white and is fading out so im hopefull my cholla log tea has worked i reboiled them and added the water and the logs to the tank so fingers crossed they pull through. Praying my ial turn up tomorrow and I can get them in there too.

buck
tumblr_nhsz4nTzqx1qjnrnyo1_500.jpg

buck
tumblr_nhsz2otsoa1qjnrnyo1_500.jpg

buck
tumblr_nhsyzaIdvV1qjnrnyo1_500.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Wilbergz
      Tap is what im using, thank you for the help
    • Subtlefly
      Thanks for your input.. the tank is cement and is under our house, its what I use to top up my outdoor pond when it loses evaporation and the shrimp living out there are breeding.  I will certainly look into test kits but to begin with I am just going to cycle the tank with plants.  Thanks again!
    • sdlTBfanUK
      It is best to test the parameters of the 'source' water and go from there. Many people use dechlorinated tap water successfully with cherry shrimp (me included), but rainwater or RO water you will need to mineralise the water. I guess it is a bit too early at this stage as you don't have the tank yet, but you may want to ge the test kits so you are ready to go anyway - TDS meter/pen, GH, KH, PH and of course ammonia/nitrite/nitrate for cyclng the tank. I guess you can make life easier when you have the tests by testing the different 'sources' so you can get any minerals etc ready as well, and decide which source is going to best suit cherry shrimps? Rainwater is likely near to RO water so will likely need minerals added, and what is the storage tank/guttering made of, as some metals are toxic to shrimp, especially copper? Sorry, got a bit off original topic. All the equipment you originally listed looks good and well thought out from what I saw but as I am in UK it isn't the same 'stuff' here so hopefully someone from Australia will help with that aspect. Simon
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I have often got odd groups of fungus growing when setting up new tanks, though not seen it on any shrimp, usually wood or ornaments etc and that clears itself in time once the tank is properly cycled and settled down. If he seems happy and active just keep a close eye on him and see how it progresses (hopefully disappears). Maybe the tank wasn't quite ready for him? I'm not quite sure how quickly/easy it is to cycle/establish when there are no plants, it may take longer as they are usually a part (speed up) of the process I would think, and if you have just got an ammonia reading this week? Keep testing Ammonia/nitrite and nitrate regulary at this point? If the ammonia gets too high it is normal to do a large water change, but that may trigger a molt so only do that if absolutely necessary. Don't overfeed the fish either (common mistake) as that may cause extra ammonia? What water are you using, RO or Tap? Simon
    • Subtlefly
      So we have a rainwater tank under our house and I have a pond in the yard - was kind of planning on using rain water or water that has been cycling through my backyard pond, native pacific blue eye fish and native red nosed shrimp out there doing their own thing.   If I am stuck and in a drought then I might have to resort to filtered tap water...  does this sound like a plan?