Forum incredibly slow and not loading

OzShrimp

Just wondering if there is a server or forum update ongoing atm as the forum is incredibly slow and some pages arent even fully loading.

Seems fixed now was this morning, thats why i thought the forum supplier was doing something 

I just recached the site and it seems ok for me. I wonder if there is a better way to present that information though?

I'm noticing it too. Experiencing slowness in the last 10-15 minutes.

Can't pin point it. As it seems to be on and off. 

But was slow getting from my treating algae in plants thread to here.

But when I got to this thread, moving to other threads was okay again. And then returning back here to post this message, it's ok again.

Can't do a ping test, I'm behind a firewall at work.

Still experiencing it, had to refresh 3 times as nothing loaded not even an error for main forum. 

Its definitely not my net lol been gaming online and all other sites are fine nil issues

What ISPs are you two with? Could be a routing issue with them?

Really need some pings or even better traceroutes (with your IP blocked out) to see where the issue is.

The server load is sitting at 0.19% which is ultra low so it's gotta be a routing issue. Can anyone post some traceroutes?

I'm at work. Not over an ISP.

It very similar to congestion issues. <edit> congestion somewhere uplink, I don't mean server congestion.

The site isn't unreachable, it's just slow. And erratic in nature.

Try running a ping for an extended time instead of the default.

Edited by jayc

I'm at work. Not over an ISP.

Yup but your work would be using a service provider. The issue could be somewhere in between us and where the site is hosted but may only be affecting one particular route common to business, home or wholesale internet access. That route could be common across the people experiencing slow response issues right now.

Yup but your work would be using a service provider.

Of course. You're right, but don't know which provider.

All good.

So, is there anything else more specific we can determine like is the slow response site wide or to specific threads as OzShrimp mentioned?

For me, I'm with BigPond brissie, everything seems to be normal.

I with bigpond, im getting it all over now not just on that thread :( dont know how to check ping lol

-Big voice- PIIIIIIIIIIIING!!!!  nope no response :)

-Big voice- PIIIIIIIIIIIING!!!!  nope no response :)

O.M.G.

That cracked me up soooo bad.  : SHOUT :

packets sent 4, received 4

round trip, minimum 315ms, maximum 318ms, average 317ms

pretty annoyed this is like corporate business, my packets came back half empty now i need some more chips :(

Edited by OzShrimp

My trace route results show congestion at Ascio technologies in the USA. This is on a Cable & Wireless service.

Looks like congestion between Australia and the SKF server in UK.

It's okay, now at this very minute. 

Will try again when I see some unresponsiveness.

Edited by jayc

Ping is slightly high but reasonable given it's not a gaming server so ping requests are right at the bottom of the QoS list. In laymens terms, it'll come back slower than it really is. I'd be worried if pings were more like >1,000ms.

One thing they found was that the memory was getting full so they bumped it up by a gig last night to see if it improves anything. Memory utilisation might be higher with the demo site I've got running (essentially 2 lots of the forum app running on the same box). I might look at moving the demo site to another host.

How's performance today?

Yeah they bumped up the RAM yesterday for the next 7 days to see if performance improves. I might look at moving the demo site over to a different host to free up RAM here. That should help brings things back to normal. Also looking at some additional monitoring to help pinpoint the issue.