Where to start?

Rodders1172

I would like to start up a nano tank for a few shrimp and I'm not sure which aquariums are best. Anybody have any recommendations? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hey mate, firstly welcome to the forum.

What type of shrimp are you thinking of keeping? Cherry shrimp are generally the first place people start and you have a variety of colours to choose from. One of the benefits of starting with these is they are easier to care for and tolerate higher temperatures then that of CRS which you will require a chiller for to avoid them all dieing as they like temperatures around 22 degrees.

There are plenty of options in terms of nano tanks one of the biggest things you have to look at is the type of filtration the tank will operate with as you want to avoid shrimplets being sucked into the intake and suffering an excruciating death. filters such as canisters and what not you can buy a stainless steel mesh guards to avoid that problem.

The other thing which will affect your decision and setup going off the type of shrimp will be what substrate and what not to use. Presuming this is your first shrimp tank if you opt to try your hand at shrimp like CRS etc you would be best off investing in a substrate which will buffer your ph level to around 6 such as benibachi up aqua shrimp sand there is a few options and obsviously some are better then others. 

Be sure to ask plenty of questions were all here to help :) 

Edited by OzShrimp

Most tanks are suitable for shrimp with a few modifications to stop shrimp getting into the filters or jumping out. I would suggest going with a tank as big as you can afford/fit because it will make it easier to keep water parameters stable.

The Fluval Edge is popular with shrimp keepers, if you don't mind working through a tight entry point. I use an Aquamanta Xanti 40, which I've only had to add a mesh to prevent shrimp climbing into the filter, though it hasn't stopped a couple of tiny shrimplet explorers!

You can find my review here ..

http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/index.php/topic/5827-aquarium-xanti-40-by-aquamanta/

Also have a look through the shrimp tank setup subforum, see what other shrimpkeepers here are using.

I've kept cherry shrimp in my community tank with decent success. So not sure on species? Had a look at a few tanks, I like the aqua one nano 30 but I'm open to others. Early stages yet so just gathering ideas

Hi and welcome to the forum I've just set up 2 tanks for shrimp I bought the aquaone nano 40 tanks hold around 55lit and I have to say they are fantastic planing on getting another 2 shortly if you have a look in the shrimp tanks I've posted a few picks up

Hi and welcome to the forum I've just set up 2 tanks for shrimp I bought the aquaone nano 40 tanks hold around 55lit and I have to say they are fantastic planing on getting another 2 shortly if you have a look in the shrimp tanks I've posted a few picks up

Aquanano is plastic or glass housing? 

Had a look at your pics and have to say they look amazing. Was looking at the nano 30 to start with as I have restricted space.

Thanks they are coming along slowly the 30 is a cool tank I wanted the 40 just a bit bigger I would get the nano 60 but they arnt avail in aust only in the uk I also got the spray bars for the pump outlet look much better but again not avail here had to get from uk but everything else is easy to get here keep us updated with what you decide to go with

Yeah I will do, probably end up with a nano 30 to start with and see where I end up. Having a few algae issues in my community tank so once that is clear I can concentrate on a nano.

I have to agree with the nano40 with a small mod to the filter intake. It makes a great shrimp tank

Yep they are a great shrimp tank I didn't mod my filter intake I just got some black sponge with tiny holes and cut it to fit right behind the intake it works a treat plus it helps keep the 2 cartridges a lot cleaner I've got the black sponge right behind intake then white polishing pad behind that then the cartridge it's a tight fit but there is no way anything can get into the back of the filter so no shrimp getting caught in there I did it to both my 40s and you would never no it's there that's what I like bout the nano tanks you can't see anything at all

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• sdlTBfanUK
      I would hazard a guess that perhaps those eggs were unfertilized and thereby unviable? Did the eggs change colour, usually yellow to grey as the yolks used up, or any eyes in the eggs. Is your water ok, using RO remineralised and the parameters in range, as I have heard others say that if the water isn't good it can 'force' a molt? How is it going overall, do you have a good size colony in the tank, you may have reached 'maximum occupancy' as a tank can only support so many occupants.
    • beanbag
      Hello folks,  The current problem I am having is that my Taiwan bee shrimp are molting before all their eggs have hatched.  Often the shrimp keep the eggs for 40+ days.  During that time, they lose about half or so, either due to dropping or duds or whatever.  Shortly before molting they look to have about a dozen left, and then they molt with about half a dozen eggs still on the shell.  Then the other shirmp will come and eat the shell.  These last few times, I have been getting around 0-3 surviving babies per batch.  I figure I can make the eggs hatch faster by raising the water temperature more (currently around 68F, which is already a few degrees higher than I used to keep it) or make the shrimp grow slower by feeding them less (protein).  Currently I feed Shrimp King complete every other day, and also a small dab of Shrimp Fit alternating days.  Maybe I can start alternating with more vegetable food like mulberry?  or just decrease the amount of food?
    • ngoomie
      Yeah, cancer risk was a thing I'd seen mentioned a lot when looking into gentian violet briefly. I kinda just figured it might only be as bad as the cancer risk of malachite green as well, but maybe I should look into it more. I've been doing a pretty good job of not getting it on my skin and also avoiding dunking my unprotected hands into the tank water while treating my fish at least, though. Maybe I'll just not use it once I'm done this course of medication anyways, because I know a store I can sometimes get to that's pretty distant carries both malachite green and methylene blue, and in pretty large quantities.
    • jayc
      Can't help you with Gentian Violet, sorry. It is banned in Australia violet for potential toxicity, and even possible cancer risks. I thought it was banned in Canada as well. At least, you now know why there isn't much info on gentian violet medication and it's use. But keep an eye on the snails after a week. If it affects the snails, it might not kill them immediately. So keep checking for up to a week. Much safer options out there. No point risking your own life over unsafe products.
    • ngoomie
      Hello! I have a tank that currently does not contain shrimp, but does contain neon tetras which I am currently treating for Ich, as well as some bladder snails. Shrimp will be a later addition, likely cherry shrimp but I'm still doing research just to be sure. Initially I'd intended to buy some sort of Ich-fighting product that contains malachite green after doing a decent bit of research on it, most of which indicated that it should be shrimp-safe so I'd be good if I ever needed to use it again once shrimp were actually introduced (though I should note I'm aware shrimp can't get Ich, I'm more wondering in case the tetras could get Ich again, or something else that responds to similar medication). I ended up not being able to find any MG-containing products without either having to travel quite far or wait multiple days for delivery (which I was worried could lead the Ich to be fatal), and ended up picking up 'Top Fin Ick Remedy', a product that contains gentian violet which is a triarylmethane dye like malachite green. The bottle has two slightly differently worded warnings about its use with invertebrates ("not recommended for" and "not safe for" respectively), but when I'd been researching malachite green, I'd also heard of products that contain MG but not any other ingredients that would be harmful to inverts still being branded with warnings that they could be harmful, just as a "just-in-case" since the manufacturer didn't test it on any inverts, and I'm wondering if maybe it could be a similar situation here. I'm having a very very hard time finding information about gentian violet's use in fishkeeping at all though, it seems currently extremely uncommon. What I will say though is that I'm on day 2 of treating my tetras with it, and the bladder snails seem just fine -- in fact today I noticed what looked to be a bladder snail that appeared to be newly hatched (because of its size) that I hadn't seen before that was zipping around the tank without issue. But obviously, shrimp are not snails, and bladder snails are also notoriously hardy little guys, so what I'm seeing right now could easily be totally inapplicable to cherry shrimp. It might even be inapplicable to other species of snails, for all I know. Has anyone else here ever used anything that contains gentian violet in a tank that actually does contain shrimp? Were they okay, or should I make sure to not use it once shrimp are added?