lodo

Wild bettas

lodo

Since I did our endler guppies, thought I'd do one for the wild betta species we currently have.

There's so much variety available in them which is why I love them so much.

Betta enisae

post-893-140863091978_thumb.jpg

Betta patoti

post-893-140863095649_thumb.jpg

Betta macrostoma

post-893-140863098761_thumb.jpg

Betta rutilans Sp. Green

post-893-14086310586_thumb.jpg

Squiggle

Wilds are sooo Purdy! :D

Pyriel

Ooooh that first one *wants*

lodo

Ooooh that first one *wants*

The first one (betta enisae) have finally held eggs to term, so we have a handful of little swimmers in the tank.

Such amazing blues on the adult males face.

newbreed

Love the blue on the enisae, looking forward to pics of fry!!

lodo

Will try upload more photos of some of our betta species.

So much variation which is amazing.

Aquarium strain betta pallifina

post-893-141077917395_thumb.jpg

Betta gladiator "sabah"

post-893-141077923047_thumb.jpg

Betta Sp. Antuta

post-893-141077929144_thumb.jpg

Betta bellica

post-893-141077933167_thumb.jpg

CNgo2006

Are you james by any chance @lodo

lodo

Yes I'm James. :)

Sprae

Where does one get native bettas? Any in Melbourne?

lodo

Wild bettas are native to South East Asian (Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia)

We get ours either specially imported in for us, or coburg aquarium imports in their own from time to time.

We are in Melbourne, and currently have a few species available if people ask if we have any, but we rarely publicy advertise any for sale.

newbreed

Where does one get native bettas? Any in Melbourne?

Couldn't hurt to post a WTB ad in the SKF Marketplace Sprae. If anyone has some they can PM you!!

They look amazing!!

• Like 1

lodo

Thought I'd share one more photo of a wild.

Here's a juvie betta ocellata which we bred.

We are guessing we have 4 pairs out of the fry, unfortunately the dad got dropsy so we have a lone adult lady.

Can't wait for their full colour to pop out.

post-893-141087833984_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

lodo
post-893-141087849883_thumb.jpg

smicko

Nice collection you have, i didn't realise there was that many types of wilds available.

Not sure if you are aware but the importation rules are being changed in march next year so if you're after other types you should get them before this happens, basically with the tests they want done on imports i fear that we won't be able to get anymore in.

Would you have any of the rutilans or enisae available for sale?

They look magic, if you do could you please pm me a price with shipping to brisbane 4132

Cheers mick

lodo

Full aware of what's been proposed.

We are visiting our importer today to ask about getting a box of mixed wilds into Melbourne, and then if we can put the offer to others to help fill the box.

We have also been discussing with wild collectors who will help us get true localities of species.

smicko

Great to hear, are you getting different types this shipment or adding numbers to existing stock?

Cheers mick

lodo

Plan is next time we organise an import we get a large mix, add some new types for some of our lone partners, and try to bring in a large range of localities of each type.

Working with two different importers right now to find the best and cheapest option for quarantine.

Hopefully we can get it done by 1st or march.

Spoke to one importer today, and they said it will take a few years still for it to come into effect, and they will have a few years of complete crap with it all, but it will start sorting itself out (this is what he thinks, but its still early days)

Dont want to disclose too much with what get told as it is just his view.

smicko

That's understandable, five years ago they were going to ban all fish imports so this is a rather watered down version.

I'm still interested to know what you have for sale.

Cheers mick

lodo

Thought I'd update this with some of our newest wild bettas. Love these new guys a lot.

Betta dennisyongi

48b6e96687df131df58eee70f525308e.jpg

e1973ef0ff39066a8b576ebb42e25bc0.jpg

Betta rubra

2810a9ba0feed27f1460d865d730beeb.jpg

a3417b82f9b87ed32b8192cf3ca2d478.jpg

830f0a6ddaa277f4a30e80a0bda54bf8.jpg

• Like 2

newbreed

So many amazing varieties of wild betta! It was an eye opener seeing so many on display last week!!

Anyone considering keeping something unique in the fish realm, definitely consider some of these! They have such inquisitive personalities!

kizshrimp

Yeah I put the Anabantids right below Cichlids for intellect and character in freshwater tanks. Bettas are my favorites of them. 

lodo

Problem with cichlids is every man and his dog breed them.

bettas take a lot more work, conditioning, and knowledge of behaviour I feel to be successful.

What I may do is make a thread for what wilds are available and from where. Some amazing species currently through aquarium industries, but they list them with common names which makes it hard for hobbyists to request their store get a certain species

• Like 2

smicko

That would be awesome if you could do that, I would be interested to know where to get some.

Cheers mick

kizshrimp

Yep agree with that lodo, plenty of cichlid breeders out there and not many with wild Bettas. 

But I have to say that some Cichlids are difficult to breed and take an equal level of skill and understanding to succeed with. These are the species you don't see much, that few people are breeding. 

+1 Mick - James do that list. The current AI names suck, their price list used to have latin names I'm sure. 

newbreed

Just to add another variety not already pictured.

These are some of the Betta gunung raja I picked up the other weekend.

Boy

post-558-0-33585000-1425967877_thumb.jpg

post-558-0-03327400-1425967881_thumb.jpg

Girl

post-558-0-15354000-1425967879_thumb.jpg

Together

post-558-0-31603300-1425967874_thumb.jpg

The images don't really do their colours justice. But something for reference.

• Like 2