SKF welcomes Disciple to our community

skfadmin

Thanks Squiggle.

Here is my intro.

I have been quite interested in keeping shrimp for awhile. Now that I have settled in my new place and I think I am ready to have a go. It has been inspiring reading these forums.

I have purchased myself a 60cm by 45cm by 45cm which I plan to pick up on the weekend. I have been reading several forums and articles about setting up a tank but there is so much information out there I am not sure how to go about it. I was thinking of just a canister filter but then I have found some articles that recommend a sponge filter too.

Anyways I plan to have the hardscape done this weekend and hopeful planting and cycling started next weekend. Feel free to give me some pointers about  filters, heating, substrates and lighting as the guy at the store I was purchasing my tank from was telling me I should get a ehiem 2217 for the tank which from my research seemed excessive.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Hey mate

Welcome to SKF. Great to hear you are starting out with shrimp.

In general, more filtration in shrimp tanks is better. I would probably go with the 2217 because you can always restrict or direct the outflow in such a way that there wont be too much current in your tank for the shrimp. Furthermore in my experience, the eheim 2217 could never filter a 600L tank (which is reccommended on the box). For starters, its rated at 1000lph which gives 1.6 tank turnovers per hour. Ideally you would want at least 4-6 turnovers per hour or more than 10 turnovers per hour in an aquascape. Anyway point is, its probably well suited to your tank.

Alternatively I would go with a Fluval 305 which has a similar flow rate, but thats just because I like the Fluvals better than eheims.

Thanks Fishmosy,

I feel a bit silly cause I only just realised that once accepted there is heaps more topics in this forum to read. I shall go through the tank set up section.

So much to learn...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• sdlTBfanUK
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58BrDSEY8KE  
    • beanbag
      One interesting thing he mentioned was "Bacteria pressure", which I guess just means number of bacteria around.  Yet I see all these other videos from shrimpkeepers bragging about how much bacteria their filtering system holds. Also interesting is no mention of using anti-biotics to treat bacterial infection.  I think that has fallen out of favor recently.
    • sdlTBfanUK
    • sdlTBfanUK
      It has been a few weeks now and I have done a couple of large water changes. I tested the water parameters this morning, GH6 and KH2, TDS 140 and PH 7.5. Obviously the PH is off but there isn't anything in the tank that should cause the PH to rise to this figure so I will just run the tank for another month with 10% weekly water changes (probably just with RO water) and see where we are at that point. The RO water tests at PH6, and the KH and GH in the tank could come down as they are at the upper limits for Caridina shrimps! There are only about 10 very small snails in there at this point, but they seem to be doing well enough.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I believe these to be very rare in Australia so you may even consider making it a longer term plan and produce your own by starting with the best CRS you can get as that is where the pure lines started! Depends how patient and interested in the project you are, but would save money as well? If I recall correctly it takes from 8 generations of selective breeding? They sell them at micro aquatic shop but do not ship to Western Australia, but that means they are available in Australia. https://microaquaticshop.com.au/products/pure-red-line-grade-ss-shrimp Good luck and just maybe smeone on here may point you in the right direction or be able to supply you with some.