Time to 'Rack' your brains! - NEW COMPETITION

newbreed

I vote for jayc. I hope you win the lotto so I can come see your room when it is done. :thumbsu:

• Like 1

I don’t have big dreams of an amazing setup but I will share the plans I would ultimately like to have.

Layout -

It is 3 tier  steel rack approximately 6.5 ft long consisting of three (3) 2ft tanks on tier one and tier two. Followed by a 6ft shallow tank on the third tier. Running along the bottom of each tier would be waterproofed mdf for stability and polystyrene for insulation.

The MDF would also allow for Up Aqua LED Z series lights to be mounted to bottom utilising something like plastic ties being applied over the light and stapled with heavy duty staples to the mdf or small screw on either side. All lights are hooked up to timers.

Below the third tier on the ground would be my sump consisting of various products, filter wool, macro pore etc. Connected to the pump would be a high quality eheim UV sterilizer and hailea chiller.

Each tank has its own drainage and outtake hooked up to the sump.

The sump also has plumbing on the side with a release valve and hose attached which when opened drains out into a drain.For the purpose of this it would be on the left side (depends on room layout)

Off to the side of the rack I would have a large water drum minimum 220litres for the purpose of storing reverse osmosis water the water would be premixed with salty shrimp. The drum is elevated approximately 1 foot off the floor on a stand. At the bottom of the drum is a plumbed in tap with hose attached which connects to the right side of the sump directly next to it allowing me to do straight water changes.

Mounted above the contained or in close proximity would be a hard plumbed FSA R/O running directly into the storage container and waste down drain or into separate container for recycling on garden etc.

Tank setup

Tier 1.   â€“ Tank 1 --  Tank 2 -- Tank 3

Tank 1 Is (CRS General tank), Tank 2 (CRS tank To hold berried shrimp and for selective breeding), Tank 3 (Cull tank and shrimp for sale).

All tanks would also contain a 2x dual sponge filters, powered by a high powered air pump distributed through narrow pvc pipe with benibachi soil.

Tier2. – Tank 1 – Tank 2 – Tank 3

Exactly the same as tier 1 however however for CBS shrimp.

Tier 3. – 1x Six foot shallow moss growing tank segregated from the sump

I would also have a small area next to the rack with atleast a 4ft tank running numerous sponge filters and filled with tap water. This tank would be utilised for cycling new benibachi shrimp soil allowing me to be able to add it straight into the shrimp tanks without and ammonia spikes etc.

Extras include having whirly birds on the roof to aid in filtering air out of the room however would have closeable vents for temperature control

When proceeding to other shrimp I could replicate this setup if the shrimp share similar tank perimeters.

• Like 1

Only six hours to get your entries in!!

I am extending entries into this competition until 11:59pm AEST tonight, Sunday 24th August!!

That gives you all a couple of more hours to get your entries in!!

Winners will be announced later in the week!!

Darn I did one and was going to do the finishing touches and post it but only remembered at 9:15 and didn't check to see it got extended! :(

@newbreed what day do we find out and who picks the winner, need to know who to suck up to lol.

Only joking just wanted to know the day of the announcement.

Cheers mick

We have outsourced the judging to keep it unbiased. All I will say is it is someone from the industry who has built many custom setups and isn't a forum member!!

Unfortunately sucking up and bribery not an option in this one! ;p

Winners to be announced by Sunday 9pm AEST. Apologies for time delay!!

Edited by newbreed
  • Like 1

Sorry everyone for the delay but the guest judge independent has been flat out & will hopefully get to it tomorrow. :thumbsu:

Is this comp for a complete fish room or a rack as some of the entrees seem to be complete fish rooms... Jus sayin lol

I agree with you lol 

Any news ? did they get a chance to judge today

Edited by OzShrimp

I agree with you lol 

Any news ? did they get a chance to judge today

Yeah changing the rules part way through is an interesting technique.

Sorry for the confusion guys! Opened it up in the hope of getting more participation!

A well thought out rack plan has as much chance of winning as a complete room setup!

Outsourced judging so no bias, but has not made things easier!

Winners will be announced soon!

I didnt even realise that it had change to a room competition until reading that post.

Ultimately its two different comps in one lol -shrugs-

Ok, so the results are in &, after a great deal of reading & imagining, the winners have been decided. But first I just wanted to say that everyone had the same chance of winning, whether it be a rack or a room, the comp was judged specifically on ideas, innovation, ingenuity & the thought that went into the detail of the design, not by the size of rack or room or how many tanks it had in it. That being said I think that we should get down to brass tacks. :thumbsu:

In first place, & I think you'll all agree, based purely on innovation, detail & revolutionary ideas for design, @jayc has totally changed the way we look at shrimp rooms & aquariums, I would definitely be visiting that aquarium every day off I have.

Now second place was a lot harder to decide as there was four entries that qualified & these four were discussed for a while, of course there was only two out of those four that could ultimately be considered & the entrant who shone through did so because of their attention to detail & great deal of thought that went into their effective use of limited space & that is @Jenbenwren

Third place was a pretty tough choice but think this entry has definitely been thinking about this for a while & adding to it with the "money is no object" attitude, it's definitely great to see people aiming so high that if they miss then it's still going to be one amazing setup. Even though it wasn't a factor in the judging, it's good to see people thinking an out more than just the shrimp tanks in their systems, having incorporated not only saltwater but a hydroponic vege garden in the system as nitrate & phosphate removing filtration, well done @smicko

I would just like to congratulate the winners & all the entrants, you all put in a great deal of effort & gave us all an insight to your dreams. Also, a big thank you to the judges for taking the time to deliberate over all the entries & read jayc's best seller fiction novel, lol. :D

• Like 2

Woohoo, awesome thank you!!!!

Congratulations on the win jayc and congrats smiko on 3rd place!!

Congrats to all winners!! Thanks for sharing your dream setups!!

Some awesome ideas in there, if only I could win lotto!!

Edited by newbreed

Well done to all entries, i am happy to have been considered in the same field as any of the ideas put forward, i could happily use ideas from each and every entrant in a fish room.

@jayc you certainly changed the way of thinking about fish tanks.

I have been contemplating your ideas since I read them and I am going to attempt to build a tank as you described.

Cheers mick

Congratulations to the winners..... I really enjoyed reading all your entries.Gets the mind dreaming of new ways to upset the missus ;)

• Like 2

Fantastic effort everyone. It was so great reading all the entries. Congratulations  jayc, Jenbenwren and smicko.

: SURPRISE :  Wha ... Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa <breath> aaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy !!!  : SHOUT :

Congrats to Jen and Mick too!  :goodjob:

@jayc you certainly changed the way of thinking about fish tanks.
I have been contemplating your ideas since I read them and I am going to attempt to build a tank as you described.

@smicko, which ideas were you thinking of? 

The underground bunker, the ultimate tank cabinet, the giant pool sized tank, or the McLaren P1??

I'm available for hire as a consultant.

Thanks to SKF, the mystery judges and the sponsors.

It was a lot of fun putting down my ideas in writing.

I've been keeping it swirling in my head thinking ... "if I ever go into business ...".
But I doubt it. So why not inspire the next generation with fresh ideas.

That was really the intent  : SHY :  Not to win some competition.

If anyone builds this place or even a smaller part of it, I want to see it first. If you have a McLaren P1 in the showroom, I want to drive it. If you get to build a tank 20m x 5m x 3m in size, I want to scuba dive in it. If you build that cabinet ... or try to ... let me know. Like I said, I'm hire-able for consultation. There are design ideas that need to be thought out but the cabinet is easily the most achievable piece right now, especially if you are good at woodwork.

Also, a big thank you to the judges for taking the time to deliberate over all the entries & read jayc's best seller fiction novel, lol. :D

Hope you liked the reading.

I call the novel - 

"Bunker Aquariums - Like viewing art in an art gallery".  : OOO :

Edited by jayc
  • Like 3