Some Native shrimp photos for you

northboy

Hi All,

Here is a couple of photos of some you most likely will not have seen, I will post more when I find them and take more.

White C zebras I was working on but lost in a move of house.

P1020594.jpg

Normal C. zebras

ZebrasinTANK014.jpg

Riffle shrimp

SHRIMP005.jpg\

C. confusa or the false Zebra shrimp

Bobgeneral1025640x383.jpg

C. typus

080.jpg

Bob

Nice pictures mate. riffles are awesome because you can get several colour forms depending on what tank they are in.

The mass of Zebs is wild caught and breed.

I have and sell the natives (when I have Stock), the max out for most around 5 bills, some go a little more.

Native vary in the difficulty of breeding, the coastal ones GENERALY rely on a platonic Laval stage and the up land ones have large eggs like Crystals and Cherries. So large egg = easy . small egg = HARD

Riffles actually change colour to suit there mood, Red and or dark Blue are a stress colours so keep an eye on them. Same as Blue in Zebras is a stress colour. Blue in Typus is a stress colour to.

Time to brag a bit, I discovered a new type of Caridina 18 months ago and am waiting for all the BS to be done so I can name it.

Bob

Riffles actually change colour to suit there mood' date=' Red and or dark Blue are a stress colours so keep an eye on them. [/quote']

I'd disagree that dark blue is a stress colouration as the some of the ones have collected have been blue. You are probably right that stress could be causing a red colouration as I've never caught a completely red one, except for transparent red patches/lines amongst black colouration. However I've never had one die whilst red.

I wouldn't be surprised that the differences in our observations has to do with where the shrimp are collected, as different populations can have different characteristics, even if they are the same species.

Time to brag a bit' date=' I discovered a new type of Caridina 18 months ago and am waiting for all the BS to be done so I can name it.

Bob[/quote']

well done mate. Are you describing it or is someone else?

I wont disputer your observations. I will only quote what I have observed over 20 odd years and with the range of these guys there is bound to be differences. they are found from VIC to Iron Range Cape York, it was a recent finding in Iron range. (its a bit further than that but that is close enough)

I have collected them at night by spot light and 50% were light blue, next day through transportation and new tank stress they were Dark blue and Red, once adapted they went clear, then when settled they would change colour with there mood but never Dark blue or red again, with stress it is not colour alone it is the pattern as well. They have the ability to change colour at will and if one of the scientists can raise the funds she is going to look into it.

There is two distinct and different populations up here one coastal and one highland, the low land ones seam to only get to 4cm and the upland ones get to a staggering 6.5/7cm long, but both seam to change sex at 35mm, the low land ones have lots of stripped patterns and are harder to breed, the upland ones don't have the stripes and are easy to breed

Bob

The museum at South Brisbane will describe it and I get to name it. I am trying to find out if the guys doing the description got laid off in the recent BS in QLD politics

Bob

I guess that read like a smart A.s comment, it was not meant to be. It is just that I have had a lot to do with native shrimp for many years, long before shrimp became the new fad and i am glad they have finally got there time in the spot light. i was saying what I have seen in Brisbane populations and Northern one as well.

I can not Waite for Fresh water crabs to have there turn, we have lots of really nice ones in Australia, 7 species up here and one has fantastic regional variations in colour.

Bob

Don't worry, I took it how it was meant.

My shrimp are from near Coffs Harbour, NSW so its not surprising we notice differences.

This stuff really interests me particularly as you note two different types (coastal and highland). I dont know which mine would be as they are found in a little feeder creek on a mountain that flows into a brackish river not more than 10km from the sea (following the river). That said they get to 6-7cm so maybe there are only the "upland" type here.

The museum at South Brisbane will describe it and I get to name it. I am trying to find out if the guys doing the description got laid off in the recent BS in QLD politics

Bob

Have you decided on a name?

Do you find males and females together? I've only found females in the small area I collect from and have read that they tend to be found in single sex groupings.

also how do you keep your riffles? (Tank size, water parameters, food ect).

in fact I'd be interested to know how you keep all your native shrimp if your willing to say.

Yes I do find male and female together up both up land and low land, the up land ones are not brackish reliant (we think) because they would have to get up the Barron falls (some shrimp do) and then 3 other falls 2 of the falls are just as high as the Barron falls.

I don't do any thing special for my tanks or water, except to add Coral to ones i want to harden up, our water from the tap is like rain water KH 0 Gh 0 conductivity 1% some times.

When it comes to breeding some species I have to harden the water, once again just coral, I know, I suck but hay that is why I live here, I could not deal with the water you guys have to deal with OH and what is a heater LOL.

When I get round to building my fish room I will do a journal with everything I am doing and why. A good part of it will be dedicated to Shrimp and Native shrimp will be the lions share of that.

Bob

Sorry food, almond leaves, Veg and bits of fish, prawn for that matter any thing, in saying that I found the Zebs need leaves any sort of leaves, with out them they never do as well or breed for me.

I have some video of Zebs and C. longirostris in the wild some where I will have to find it and put up a link for you guys.

Bob

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Bob. Would love to see the video and definitely keen to see your fishroom as it progresses.

Any chance you would be the Bob who wrote the article on riffles in Aquarium Keeper Australia, Vol 1, Iss 2?

AH yes it was me, that was a while ago.

I have some articles on the go for the Pommy mag, have not done any thing for a while though, must get finger out.

Bob

Had a feeling it was you, I remembered the article when I caught the riffles the other week, just took me awhile to dig it out. Maybe you should add the article to the library here on SKF as the profile for riffles. Alternatively I'm happy to write it up (using your article as the baseline) if you're happy to give me permission to plagiarise your article, adding in my own tweaks of course:).

By Pommy mag, do you mean Practical Fish Keeping. It's definitely one of the top, if not the top, aquarium magazines on the planet. Would be great to see your work there, the riffle article was great.

Yes you can write it up if you like, we have done a lot more work on them since the article so if you want the new info to I will dig it out, also going to get some fry photos one day LOL.

Yea PFK when I get to rewrite them.

There is a library? I have a lot of stuff part written, like the first time I found Zebra shrimp and Typus, collecting shrimp in the Johnstone river, if you guys want them I will have to get photos and finish them,

Bob

Sweet I'll do that ASAP and send it to you so you can add anything if there are gaps.

There is a library on the home page for the forum. I'm sure everyone here would be keen to see your work. Once it is done, you will need to send it to one of the mods to be posted. As far as I am aware Loach (and Triggs?) is in charge of this.

Just post it up as a regular thread and a Mod withh promote it. Nogi and Myself are in charge of the Library and its creation :)