Crystal shrimp I got for free

andy-Eco-tank

It was a good day yesterday got given five juvenile Crystal shrimp off a friend.

Not a hundred percent sure what grading or what they are called.

Here is some pics of them can't find the red one for a photo. :(

post-963-0-75996400-1404098016_thumb.jpgpost-963-0-13112300-1404098046_thumb.jpgpost-963-0-56935900-1404098070_thumb.jpgpost-963-0-25648800-1404098104_thumb.jpg

They look great! They are fun to keep and to spot at this age! They will grow up pretty quick!

• Like 1

Crystal Red, Crystal Black and Golden Bee (aka Snow white).

Gotta love free shrimp!

Crystal Red, Crystal Black and Golden Bee (aka Snow white).

Gotta love free shrimp!

Thanks for that Jayc.

I can't find any of them I think I have them in to big of a tank or there just to bloody small all I can see is red from my RCS.

Once they get settled and into feeding routine, you will see more of them. They may be off moulting due to the change in water parameters too!

Good to no this is new to me.

I see 3 golden bees and a mischling? Likely outcome...more golden bees?

I see 3 golden bees and a mischling? Likely outcome...more golden bees?

My Friend I got them of was saying that they would be a test run for my tank and if all goes good I can get some more off him but better grade.

Fingers crossed. I'm getting a RO filter and peat moss soon ill age the RO with the peat moss for one mouth then use it for my water changes. So round the time all that will come together the crystal's will be close to breeding age and that's when I'll be giving breeding my Cardinal tetras a go.

I would forget the peat moss ....use ro water and salty shrimp bee shrimp mineral gh+ (goggle it) then check the site sponsors.

Fantastic score dude, they look awesome! :jig:

Definitely don't need the peat moss if you are using RO water, Salty Shrimp GH+ is a must though! :thumbsu:

Thanks for the point in the right direction with the salty shrimp Gh+ but the crystals and not my main concern.

The peat moss is for breeding my Cardinal tetra's and having my main tank as close to the spawning tank as I can to grow my fry out so I'd like to get my PH down to a stable 6.2 with the shrimp soil and RO water and peat moss (black water)

So it looks like i'm in the market for another cube tank for the Crystal shrimp just don't no where I'm going to put it. Lol

Good point Gaz, Fulvic Grains will lower the pH very well. It looks like you are using shrimp soil so I think that will buff the pH down when you're using RO & GH+ to around 6.5(depending on depth of soil) & if it's not enough then the Fulvic will do the rest naturally. :thumbsu:

Thanks for that I'll look in to fulvic never heard of it before.

Good going on the shrimp :) i prefer snow whites over the golden bees :D hopfully they grow up nicely and breed for you.

Have you got a chiller for summer?

Good going on the shrimp :) i prefer snow whites over the golden bees :D hopfully they grow up nicely and breed for you.

Have you got a chiller for summer?

Yes iv had the chiller on the tank for the last 6 months it's a hailea 150A works well and it's set at 24° So not to work it to hard witch is no problem right now my heater is the one struggling darn cold snap.

Yeah i know that feeling, i have an eheim heater i think its 200w and i have to set it below what i want it to regulate. So for it to maintain 24 i have to set it for like 22, however i had it previously set to 18 and it would keep my water around 22 then one morning i woke up and my tank was down to like 20 degrees so had to adjust

I'm only just getting the temp back to 22° now found it was not working this morning it was down to 20.6°.i think the thermostat is not accurate in the heater so I just played with It till it turned on just gotta keep an eye on it now.

You should be able to calibrate the eheim

How so? I have had it for ages and never done it before  ? 

Why not use fulvic grain to lower ph

Good point Gaz, Fulvic Grains will lower the pH very well. It looks like you are using shrimp soil so I think that will buff the pH down when you're using RO & GH+ to around 6.5(depending on depth of soil) & if it's not enough then the Fulvic will do the rest naturally. :thumbsu:

I found this not sure if I'm allowed to post the link here is just a screenshot of the label have you come across it before and do you know where I can get some from. Looks to have everything I'll need for my fish and shrimp. Can you take a look at it and let me know what you think.

post-963-0-41053300-1404298797_thumb.png

Lifted from elsewhere but basically

1. There are 2 rings - blue ring (temp setting) and red pointer (calibration mark).

2. If you did not play with the red pointer setting as yet since taking out the the box, factory calibration should be close.

3. Rotate the blue ring to the temperature setting you wish - at the red point mark.

4. Monitor the temperature of the tank for a period of time - they recommend 24 hrs.

5. Check the temperature of the tank - if it is not the same as the temperature in your heater setting, then

6: Move the red pointer (without disturbing the blue ring) to the temperature number on the blue dial. This is now the calibrated temperature setting.

7. Now rotate your blue dial to the align the temperature setting you want to the red pointer.

You may need to repeat this procedure if the temperature settings are still off slightly. (i recall having to do 2 or 3 times for my various heaters).

Hopefully this makes sense to you. It certainly baffled me when I first got them. I have 4 Eheim heaters. I do prefer the simpler single dial heaters, but I have noticed that the temp settings on those don't really match the temp in the tanks anyways.

***** NOTE: when you are adjusting the settings, make sure to DISCONNECT the POWER CORD! Do not plug in a heater out of water. *****

***** NOTE 2: Make sure the heater is off, and cool to the touch before removing and adjusting! *****