Happy Days

Shrimp Aqua

Oh happy days are here, i'm off to cairns for a week on the 1st July.  My grandson is playing Rugby League for SE Qld in the state under sixteens carnival being held in Cairns and i am going to watch.  Are there any forum members of SKF up there, i have a couple of free days and would be nice to catch up.  I can be contacted via this forum or you can PM me if you wish to make yourself available.

Damn jealous. I had an amazing time when I was up there last year. So much cool stuff to see.

• HOF Member

It's a shame Bob isn't still around he would be the ideal host. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Congratz on your grandson, and hope he has an awesome game, and experience.

Thanks guys, would be great to meet Bob, doesn't he live further south around Innisfail?  Looking forward to watching the games and the talent on show, a Qld squad will be selected after the carnival and they go into camp straight after and then play in a competition on the 13th July in Rockhampton so keeping fingers crossed.  He played for Qld last year in a schoolboys carnival down at Canberra so he is going OK.  Would still like to catch up with a SKF local though it would be nice.

Awesome stuff, a Cairns field trip would be very cool, definitely have to catch up with Bob & he can show you the places where there are no flat dogs & some where there are too, lol. :thumbsu:

A field trip would be great Squiggs, unless a local makes contact i cant see it happening.  BTW i will be in contact with you when i get back  Re:- Shrimps etc.

No probs dude, other than Bob there's one other person up there who I might be able to put you in contact with & your shrimp are sitting here waiting for your call, they keep asking if you've called, lol. :lol:

Thanks mate nice to know i can depend on you :thumbsu: definitely when i'm back

Today we leave for Cairns WOOHOO, thanks for the contact Squiggs will let you all know how things go.

All good dude, hope you & Bruce have a great fieldtrip, I know both of you are crazy old native lovers & he will know some seriously cool spots to go. Make sure you take lots of pics & write a thread about it! Enjoy your trip & hope the grandson wins! :thumbsu:

Well i have made it back to the cold, temps in Cairns were great.  The under sixteens SEQ rugby league team took out 1st place in the carnival being played over six days and are the champions for the next 12mths.  They played some unbelievable football for such young players and only had 10points scored against them over the entire carnival and this was in the final which they won 24-10.  Congratulations to all ten who were selected in the Qld rep side to play against NSW country this coming Saturday in Rockhampton.    Thanks again Squiggs for getting me back in contact with Bruce Hansen it was great to see him again and look over his new place of residence, you know he is a friend of North Boy (Bob) and the shrimp you sent him are all going OK. He still has some really nice native Rainbows, some i had not seen before and i think we may soon have a new valuable SKF member with all of his years of experience both with fish and growing Aquatic plants. Now he has the dreaded shrimp disease like the rest of us.

• Like 1

That's fantastic news dude, glad they did so well. Sounds like there's a few future first graders in there. :thumbsu:

That's awesome that you had a good time with Bruce, he is a very cool bloke & definitely a wealth of knowledge. He's already given me a few tips for some new & very exciting stuff that I hope to let everyone know about soon enough. :jig:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• sdlTBfanUK
      I would hazard a guess that perhaps those eggs were unfertilized and thereby unviable? Did the eggs change colour, usually yellow to grey as the yolks used up, or any eyes in the eggs. Is your water ok, using RO remineralised and the parameters in range, as I have heard others say that if the water isn't good it can 'force' a molt? How is it going overall, do you have a good size colony in the tank, you may have reached 'maximum occupancy' as a tank can only support so many occupants.
    • beanbag
      Hello folks,  The current problem I am having is that my Taiwan bee shrimp are molting before all their eggs have hatched.  Often the shrimp keep the eggs for 40+ days.  During that time, they lose about half or so, either due to dropping or duds or whatever.  Shortly before molting they look to have about a dozen left, and then they molt with about half a dozen eggs still on the shell.  Then the other shirmp will come and eat the shell.  These last few times, I have been getting around 0-3 surviving babies per batch.  I figure I can make the eggs hatch faster by raising the water temperature more (currently around 68F, which is already a few degrees higher than I used to keep it) or make the shrimp grow slower by feeding them less (protein).  Currently I feed Shrimp King complete every other day, and also a small dab of Shrimp Fit alternating days.  Maybe I can start alternating with more vegetable food like mulberry?  or just decrease the amount of food?
    • ngoomie
      Yeah, cancer risk was a thing I'd seen mentioned a lot when looking into gentian violet briefly. I kinda just figured it might only be as bad as the cancer risk of malachite green as well, but maybe I should look into it more. I've been doing a pretty good job of not getting it on my skin and also avoiding dunking my unprotected hands into the tank water while treating my fish at least, though. Maybe I'll just not use it once I'm done this course of medication anyways, because I know a store I can sometimes get to that's pretty distant carries both malachite green and methylene blue, and in pretty large quantities.
    • jayc
      Can't help you with Gentian Violet, sorry. It is banned in Australia violet for potential toxicity, and even possible cancer risks. I thought it was banned in Canada as well. At least, you now know why there isn't much info on gentian violet medication and it's use. But keep an eye on the snails after a week. If it affects the snails, it might not kill them immediately. So keep checking for up to a week. Much safer options out there. No point risking your own life over unsafe products.
    • ngoomie
      Hello! I have a tank that currently does not contain shrimp, but does contain neon tetras which I am currently treating for Ich, as well as some bladder snails. Shrimp will be a later addition, likely cherry shrimp but I'm still doing research just to be sure. Initially I'd intended to buy some sort of Ich-fighting product that contains malachite green after doing a decent bit of research on it, most of which indicated that it should be shrimp-safe so I'd be good if I ever needed to use it again once shrimp were actually introduced (though I should note I'm aware shrimp can't get Ich, I'm more wondering in case the tetras could get Ich again, or something else that responds to similar medication). I ended up not being able to find any MG-containing products without either having to travel quite far or wait multiple days for delivery (which I was worried could lead the Ich to be fatal), and ended up picking up 'Top Fin Ick Remedy', a product that contains gentian violet which is a triarylmethane dye like malachite green. The bottle has two slightly differently worded warnings about its use with invertebrates ("not recommended for" and "not safe for" respectively), but when I'd been researching malachite green, I'd also heard of products that contain MG but not any other ingredients that would be harmful to inverts still being branded with warnings that they could be harmful, just as a "just-in-case" since the manufacturer didn't test it on any inverts, and I'm wondering if maybe it could be a similar situation here. I'm having a very very hard time finding information about gentian violet's use in fishkeeping at all though, it seems currently extremely uncommon. What I will say though is that I'm on day 2 of treating my tetras with it, and the bladder snails seem just fine -- in fact today I noticed what looked to be a bladder snail that appeared to be newly hatched (because of its size) that I hadn't seen before that was zipping around the tank without issue. But obviously, shrimp are not snails, and bladder snails are also notoriously hardy little guys, so what I'm seeing right now could easily be totally inapplicable to cherry shrimp. It might even be inapplicable to other species of snails, for all I know. Has anyone else here ever used anything that contains gentian violet in a tank that actually does contain shrimp? Were they okay, or should I make sure to not use it once shrimp are added?