breeding program finally underway

ineke

• HOF Member

As most of the older forum members know I have had an ongoing battle to get my Crystal breeding program up and running. It seemed that no matter what I did i could not get a berried female. I tried everything that was recommended, bought canister filters, RO system, Benibachi soil, salty Shrimp GH+, minerals , different foods, different tanks, more shrimp , stable water conditions, but NADA not a single berried crystal -for months AND MONTHS well over a year actually. (had the same problem with my Yellows yet everything else was breeding).

Over the last couple of months I have finally been rewarded with many berried girls and a large number of shrimplets.I am extremely pleased with the way things are now going and will soon be able to start selectively breeding the better grade ones but for the moment I'm happy to just have babies in the tank.

I don't know what the break through was except slowly lowering the TDS to 140ppm from 160ppm and starting to use Black Water Extract- (TechDen have this at a great price) although I can't say that this is what got them going I have only heard good things about it. I also used this in my Yellow tank and they have finally bred for me too with over 20 babies happily swimming around. I have to say perserverance and patience is one thing that was bandied around a lot in helpful posts -that goes without saying and eventually works. I had a lot of help from BB (thanks BB) and encouragement from Squiggs and many other members which helped stop me from giving up. I have also been given and swapped lots of Crystals from Eshrimp who has been a bit of a mentor for me and encouraged me to continue too.

CSC_0519_zps491fbce7.jpg

DSC_0520_zps170db02b.jpg

I am also happy to report I have berried tibees and Mischlings now too so things are moving along nicely. Still have Chocolates, Rilis and Blue Velvets merrily bubbling along too.

• Like 1

Great that its all coming together! It's so frustrating when nothing happens, for months, and you did really well to not throw in the towel.

And now you get to enjoy all the lovely shrimplets!! That's got to be the best reward I reckon!

• Like 1

Awesome ineke you must be stoked :)

Edited by Ronskitz
  • Like 1

• HOF Member

counted 37 babies out and about today. looks to be 3 different sizes so at least 2 more girls to drop.  :D

woohoo! You'll have more soon then you'll know what to do with! Talk about breaking a dry spell :p

• Like 1

You ripper! There is nothing as good as a success story.

• Like 1

So glad it has finally happened for you Ineke, i know how you must have felt with nothing happening, but perseverence eventually pays off. This is one reason i am being so patient with my third attempt at CRS and making sure my tank and all parameters are stable. It will be so exciting to see baby shrimplets swimming when my time comes (can't wait).  I am so happy for you, good luck and enjoy :thumbsu::D:goodjob:

• Like 1

• HOF Member

Thanks guys. It is great to sit back and finally see things happening. It's so frustrating when you see so many people having their first CRS shrimplets within weeks of buying shrimp and you just not being able to get a single berried girl! But happy days now my turn is here.

Hang in there Gary - if it happened for me it will happen for you!

Congratz ineke. Exactly which blackwater extract ? I remembered browsing and there were several brands/type ?

So happy to see success for you ? Yahoo

• Like 1

• HOF Member

I'm using the TechDen branded one but it's made by  G&K Lloyd Jones, it's good value and a flat rate delivery regardless of which size you get. I dosed all the tanks as per instructions and now just add the required amount to the amount of water I put back in on water change day IE ; 10 litres out 5ml Black water extract back in - you can add more if you want. I found 5 more berried girls this morning :mom:

Edited by ineke

I noticed the techden brand one reading the product description removes calcium. Could this pose as a problem later down the track as it strips calcium from the tank water?

Edited by CNgo2006

• HOF Member

Will need to keep an eye on that Chi. At the moment my calcium levels are high so shouldn't be a problem but will test again in a month or 2 and see what readings I get.

congrats ineke :) love to see baby crs they are looking so cute...

• Like 1