Classifieds and time limits

jayc

Can someone explain the reasoning behind time limits on classifieds?

There are a few with "Time Left - Expired" on them and I can't even view it. 

Does that mean the classified has been closed, and you can' purchase the item/shrimp anymore?

Or are the items still available, but this time limit has blocked anyone else viewing it.

Why do we need the time limit?

Can the original poster reset the time limit to "reactivate" the classified?

Edited by jayc

It's the same as with the old forum where we used to just close and move threads that had aged beyond the first couple of pages. It's to ensure that the sale threads are still current and that we don't have open sales that are fairly old. Depending on your membership you can relist the advert a number of times without re-entering the information. The reason you don't see closed ones is because after a couple of days, closed ads are removed, again to ensure we keep only current sales in view.

Thanks for taking the time to explain this Nogi.

Ok, so expired classified adverts, doesn't necessarily mean that the seller has sold all the items, right?

So if I see something that interests me, but has expired, I could still potentially PM the seller.

However, closed adverts are 100% sold out.

Have I got it right?

• 2 weeks later...

How do I return to my existing ad to update remaining quantities ?

Can we have a longer time limit to edit our own ads?

I'd also like to be able to edit the price, for example, lower the price if there is no interest.

I like the old forum classifieds where I could post updates or have public conversations with buyers.

Don't seem to be able to do it with this version of the classifieds.

Not sure but definitely can see the hassle. Mods can edit but thats no good if you gotta wait

How do I return to my existing ad to update remaining quantities ?

Can we have a longer time limit to edit our own ads?

I'd also like to be able to edit the price, for example, lower the price if there is no interest.

I like the old forum classifieds where I could post updates or have public conversations with buyers.

Don't seem to be able to do it with this version of the classifieds.

What do you mean by longer time limits to edit ads? Is this the ad duration or another time limit? You should be able to edit the price, I just checked on another sale item and it worked. Could be a permissions thing, I can investigate if you don't get this option.

With public conversions relating to the sale, get your buyers to use the Q&A tab:

post-25-0-62514400-1402189056_thumb.png

What do you mean by longer time limits to edit ads? Is this the ad duration or another time limit? You should be able to edit the price, I just checked on another sale item and it worked. Could be a permissions thing, I can investigate if you don't get this option.

With public conversions relating to the sale, get your buyers to use the Q&A tab:

attachicon.gifClassifieds Questions.png

I thought it strange no one has asked this before.

It's not the ad duration. 

It's a time limit to edit the ad.

I can't edit my ads anymore after 1 day.

This is the error message.

Oops! Something went wrong!

[#10CFDM2003]

Too much time has elapsed for you to edit this advert.

Hmmmm I can't see an option to change that. I'll get in touch with the author to see how to do this.

I have been able to edit on members behalf after that period of time, but sorry Nogi, did not report the error!

On a that subject of posting a question ... the original ad poster does not get the button to "Ask a question".

I thought i'd try using that to update the ad, but alas, the ad poster can't "Ask a question".

Ok, I found the setting, it was set to only allow edits for up to the first 30 mins. Wow, I guess some sites are pretty strict. I've removed the restriction across the groups that have access to the Classifieds. If I've missed one let me know.

Yay!

Confirming this worked.

I can now edit my ads.

Glad to be able to help make this forum the best!