whats this stringy stuff in my java moss

K9932

+1 looks like gibba, only way to get rid of it is the chuck the lot & start again. :dejection:

Yeah it's that friggin' stuff.

Have been picking it out somehow it's broken off and is everywhere.

Only bought the moss today. Didn't realise it was in there.

Not good...not good at all! I would give the person/place you bought the moss from a piece of my mind...just introduced a carnivorous weed into your tank!

I had an infestation of it years ago, courtesy of some purchased moss too. Decided to reserve, and it thought me patience, And to curse very silently...LOL....I picked and eventually removed it all...I had a nano tank though

It can be beaten, but it takes a LOT of patience and a constant checks for new bits taking off that got missed on your last inspection. Apparently it does have a rather nice above water flower, so for experiment sake you could make a bog garden terrarium and grow it for its own sake, I have even seen that there is quite a few fans of the stuff, mainly because it is carniverious and aquatic.

I found what worked for me in cleaning out of moss was to have the moss in a tub of water with the gibba, some tweezers and another couple of containers of water also with you. One container to put the recently picked over and cleaned moss into and the other to drop the gibba into.

And every time you see a bit of the stuff floating about in your tank or settled somewhere don't put off ripping it out, get it then and there.

I got hit with this a couple of months ago and didn't know what it was, actually thought it looked nice until I realised it was carnivorous (thanks to threads on SKF!)

Spent a few hours in initial removal, then check every couple of days to make sure its not growing back. Just remove what you can every time you see it and you will beat it eventually!! Mine was spread throughout two three foot tanks.

In your case, at least you have spotted it early, big bonus!

I was excited to find Java locally as normally postage costs makes it not worth it.

However I introduced it into my TB tank, my SW tank and my cull (Which I'm not too bothered by)

The seller doesn't know that he had it in his tank. But I will definitely inform him.

I've plucked most of out of the tank. And have the rest in a little container to pick it all out hoping I cam preserve the Java moss.

Sad day..

Terrible stuff to get rid of, but if patience persists you will eventually beat it. I think it can even come through your tap water same as snail spore.

Okay. I'm done. I've been picking and plucking the crap out of this lump of moss in a container and it doesn't seem to be making a dent!

Does anyone have any cheap java moss available?

Or other types of moss that are cheap?

I paid $5 for this lot so I'm devo to throw it out :(

Central coast, NSW.

I think I'm good now though.

I spent all last night trying to get it out and I think it's all gone..

I think.

It will be in a separate container for a while before I decide if it's safe to go back in the tank. And to see if any of the nasty stuff comes back