Bio pro canister

ineke

• HOF Member

Has anyone used the bio pro canisters with uv lights? I am looking for a canister to run on my 200 litre tank and unfortunately don't have the budget for a high end canister. I have sent an email to one of our sponsors but until I get an answer I am just looking at a 1200lph canister. The bio pro has a 12 month warranty and seems to have good specs but its not a brand I know anything about.

Instead of that one for that price I would go with the sunsun (also has like 3-4 other names) reviews are good, especially for that price range. Look on you tube for reviews.

Unless you're in a rush(which I know is a silly question, lol) you might want to wait for one of Ben's "Deal of the day" specials, last time he had Eheim canisters up I think he did 2215's for $119 & 2217's for $149. :encouragement:

• HOF Member

I need to have it up and running/cycled before we go away in July and I thought adding a UV light might help. I will read the specs on the ones you just mentioned plus I am still waiting for an answer from AOA about recommended sizes and prices- hopefully I will get a reply soon:encouragement:

• HOF Member

Just checked the LPH and if I get a chiller that runs at 1200 LPH then neither of these canisters are big enough. the 2217 is rated at 1000 LPH. Please correct me if i'm wrong as I don't want to buy the wrong canister now and end up having to get another one when I finally get the chiller. The tank holds 210 litres empty so about 190-200 litres with substrate etc. I really would like a fluval G 3 but that's out of my budget- damn budgets!!!!.

You can always have a lower LPH than the recommended for a chiller, increases the contact time & effectiveness. :D

Also, BB is selling his extra G3 at the moment, so maybe hit him up about it. :encouragement:

• HOF Member

Thanks Squiggs that helps as I was getting a bit confused there for a bit - I know thats not hard for me!

• HOF Member

Also' date=' BB is selling his extra G3 at the moment, so maybe hit him up about it. :encouragement:[/quote']

I have sent him a PM thanks but I expect it will still be a bit much they are not cheap filter.

Unless you're in a rush(which I know is a silly question' date=' lol) you might want to wait for one of Ben's "Deal of the day" specials, last time he had Eheim canisters up I think he did 2215's for $119 & 2217's for $149. :encouragement:[/quote']

Wow!! Did they include taps and media?

Just checked the LPH and if I get a chiller that runs at 1200 LPH then neither of these canisters are big enough. the 2217 is rated at 1000 LPH. Please correct me if i'm wrong as I don't want to buy the wrong canister now and end up having to get another one when I finally get the chiller. The tank holds 210 litres empty so about 190-200 litres with substrate etc. I really would like a fluval G 3 but that's out of my budget- damn budgets!!!!.

G3 quite small media amount compared to 2217. And the flow rate is only 700lph. A 2217 with a 18w UV light cost less than a G3 I think. Could be wrong though.

Wow!! Did they include taps and media?

Not sure, whatever comes in the normal box for the Eheims. :encouragement:

• HOF Member
G3 quite small media amount compared to 2217. And the flow rate is only 700lph. A 2217 with a 18w UV light cost less than a G3 I think. Could be wrong though.

thanks Shrimpstan I better have another read of the specs -it may have been the G4 that was recommended to me- told you I'm easily confused :)

• HOF Member

OK there is no G4 so the G3 is rated for my tank but it was probably the G6 that was recommended -I need to speak to Eshrimp- but that is way out of my price range. Back to checking out some others!

For the price you are looking at cant go past the sunsun many many good reviews...best for its price. If you put good porous filter media in it then it will do as good a job as any other filter.

• HOF Member

I've been looking for it Chi but can't seem to find any actually for sale unless under different name. will try again.

yeah they go under different names depending on country...sunsun, pro aqua, aqua top, grech, etc......

• HOF Member

Thanks Chi you helped me pick out a filter with everything I wanted including a UV light within my budget. Your help is very much appreciated.

I would love a good high end canister or ten but having said that I use the Pro Aqua ones, there are some other equivalent ones... You can get 1000LPH for under $100 and I mines still running after 3 years.

No probs ineke, glad to help. The most important aspects of a filter is the flow lph, the amount of good bacteria (media) it can house, that the water flows through the proper media, mechanical-(chemical if required)-biological not just have the water flow in the top and pumped back out from the top of canister...as long as the filter can do this and with the proper filter media then you're good to go.

• HOF Member
I would love a good high end canister or ten but having said that I use the Pro Aqua ones' date=' there are some other equivalent ones... You can get 1000LPH for under $100 and I mines still running after 3 years.[/quote']

thanks for that. I have just ordered the Pro Aqua 1500 LPH. With UV light . Glad to hear you are happy with yours . It is nice to be able to get the high end canisters but sometimes money just doesn't go that far.

No worries, I have the 1500lph one too. I am going to buy one or two of the 2000lph ones for my main planted tank once its ready.