Competition Idea

OzShrimp

I think we should have a shrimp off competition. Whereby a type of shrimp is chosen such as CRS for example and everyone posts a photo of one of their favorite shrimp (which they own) and people then vote for which one they like the most. The winner wouldnt necassarily win because they have a SSS CRS it could be someone who has a B crade CRS that people take a liking to a particular aspect of it etc.

Then the next time it might be to take photo of your Red Rili shrimp :)

Just an idea, you might not necassarily get to enter every competition depending on the varieties of shrimp you owe but opportunity would come up eventually.

Thoughts?

• HOF Member

Good idea Oz it makes an open comp for everyone eventually. I think the comps need to last a bit longer than the last couple to give everyone a chance to enter. A photo comp could be open for several days or even a week.

I think it's a great idea. And as I am banning myself from entering competitions for awhile I am happy to run the first one and give everyone else a chance.

See how many others like the idea and we can go from there. So not based on the photography or breeding skills as such, just judged by the community on their preference.

So what do you think, run it for 7 days to post the pic, then I can post a poll (I think) and give it another 4 days for everyone to vote?

And I will offer up 5 x F7 Mischlings as the first prize, 4 unsexed sub-adults and one guaranteed female. (From Chi's wonderful stock lines)

Sounds like a great mop dude, what's the first shrimp that we have to photograph? :Scratch-Head:

Sounds like a good excuse for me to clear the algae off the front glass in my tanks lol... However I dont have any CRS or CBS, but might be able to take pictures of someone elses

-edit-

That's a great prize though btw and extremely generous of you

Great idea for a comp, maybe for prizes we could offer the same type that the comp is about to try and improve genetic diversity, or minerals/ foods that are applicable to that type of shrimp.

Cheers mick

Glad people like the idea, i think the time lines are good in terms of how long they run so could have a week to take photo and then a few days or week to vote.

Could make it a regular comp (depending on prize availabilty) and set up some rules so it works like a well oiled machine.

Some rules i would suggest to ensure fairness,

* Photograph must be of one of your own shrimp (as initially suggested). Otherwise i could just like rock up to marcus's house if i knew here he lived and take a sweet photo.

* No photoshopping photos

* Only 1 photo per competition

* Photograph must be of the nominated shrimp type

I think it would be a good idea that saw our name could possibly be in the photo to prevent any photos from an external source being used?

Any others?

In terms of which shrimp should be the chosen weekly one we could have a poll once a month and the two types of shrimp with the highest votes will be the ones for that month. So highest votes the first fortnight and the second highest votes will be for the second fortnight. The same type of shrimp can not be used consecutively two months in a row. So CRS cant be in the April and then the May comps.

The other thought i had if we ran it in say a time frame like that is one fortnight you could have that particular breed of shrimp requirement and the second fortnight could be say a shrimp category comp as opposed to species dependent. By this i mean the first fortnight could be CRS omp. The second fortnight might be a berried comp where by you submit your best berried shrimp photo which allows everyone to join in. Or it could say be a headshot competition where you take only a photo of your favourite shrimps head for example.

• HOF Member

sounds good Oz. Might need to help a few of us (me) if instructions could be given on how to put your name on a photo:o

lol sorry, what i mean was like i would write Ozshrimp on a bit of paper and make sure it is in the shot of the photo

Cause anyone could digitally add their name to any photo :)

lol sorry' date=' what i mean was like i would write Ozshrimp on a bit of paper and make sure it is in the shot of the photo

Cause anyone could digitally add their name to any photo :)[/quote']

The only thing against this is that it may limit the potential for close up shots, if you needed to include signature. Would this mean all shots would need the shrimp to be in a breeding box?

With the shrimp types, should we list cherries into individual colour strains, keep TBs open to all colours, crs, cbs, SW/gb, Tibees, Tigers, Natives, and other? I can easily setup a poll to choose Aprils photo challenge if you want, just want to be sure of what needs listing.

I have another prize option if mischlings should be held for later comp too! Probably more appropriate prize for TB photo comp.

also, do we need mod approval to begin?

I think in terms of tibee's you could have a general one like you said but to provide more option keep the lights of say CRS,CBS, Snow whites and goldens separate just because of the major difference in appearance.

We could have cherrys as just simply cherries yellow, reds, blacks etc but again differentiate Rili's into a separate comp, although from same species the appearance in general is different but the different coloured rilis are all applicable in that comp.

The only thing against this is that it may limit the potential for close up shots' date=' if you needed to include signature. Would this mean all shots would need the shrimp to be in a breeding box?[/quote']

I missed this post lol, you do have a valid point and i did think of this to. I dont know how we would overcome it :( i cant really think of any other way which we could credit the photo.

Ultimately i think it will just come down to trust and i think we could say that everyone on here is pretty trustworthy. If the rules are broken then perhaps the mods could look at some sort of repercussion for cheating. As not only would it be unfair to everyone else getting involved but if they cheated to win someones donated prize i would think they would be quiet upset aswell.

Edit: Perhaps if we had a post limit for people to participate or something? Nothing drastic but atleast 10-15 posts perhaps?

Edit: Perhaps if we had a post limit for people to participate or something? Nothing drastic but atleast 10-15 posts perhaps?

On some other forums some options are only available for people with 25 post or more. I would happy with this as base entry point, if a few others agreed. We do want everyone to be able to participate but 25 post is not a lot to achieve.

i trust that everyone on here will do the right thing and play by the rules. I don't think there's a need to have your name in the image.

I can only speak for myself but I think if you submit a term & conditions & a brief outline(which you pretty much have done here) to Nogi or admin, I'm sure he will be fine with it, allow you guys to run it & we will just keep an eye on it from a distance. We all have proven that we can run comps by ourselves in the past & I can't see why this would be any different, as long as we keep Nogi in the loop I'm sure this will be a great endevour & there will be some incredible entries! :encouragement:

Thanks Squiggs. Will neaten it up and forward to Nogi! Cheers

Just replied to you pm, only change would be to allow 2 votes per person to avoid people only voting for their own :)

Happy to help run it with you i like the name you suggested in the pm lol :wave:

edit: also i think another good rule would be that the same photo cant be used in more then one competition :D

This is gonna be fun lol