New to the Forum!

Alex36

Hey Everybody!

I have been breeding red cherry shrimp for a while and am really excited to learn more about shrimp care!:o

Welcome to SKF Alex36...lots of info here, but you'll need to post and interact, and get your post count up, so that the forum will open up to you with it's wealth of info and sections. There's also the paid subscription of $12.50 that would make you a premium member and give you immediate access to all, including the classified.

Lots of colours, and variety these days. Enjoy the forum, and we love to see some pics if you can post them ? Adds to your post counts :-)

Hey also guys i am not sure how this site works yet but i am learning quickly! In my breeding community i have found that one of my shrimp is half white half red! i thought at first it was just shedding but it has been 6 months and it is still the same....i was just wondering what you guys thought of it? [ATTACH]6535[/ATTACH][ATTACH]6536[/ATTACH] (Sorry if the pics are bad quality it is all i could take)

post-1227-139909856042_thumb.jpg

post-1227-139909856045_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much BlueBolts for the warm welcome! Yeah shrimp are amazing creatures!

Wowsers....the pattern we term cherries with a clear body is a "Rilli". Traditionally the "perfect rill" pattern has a coloured head & tail, with a clear section in their abdominal. Your's with ONLY coloured head is awesome......time to buy a new tank, and selectively breed it....:-)

Red Rilli...

null_zpse1e6b4f9.jpg

There are other colour of rilli's too...

null_zpsa1b8d122.jpg7385EEB9-A9F4-4415-84D3-61C7B6F6D4D5.jpg

Really that's awesome!! thanks so much for the help!!! just one last question....what sex would it be? normally u can tell because the males are lighter but this one is both?? i think it may be female but i am not sure??

Thanks guys for all your help! i have just scanned my tank and found a really nice red guy that i think will do well with her! so hopefully i can set up a breeding tank or something in the near future! or i may just see if she drops because i have never actually seen her hold any eggs

reckon pattern (just coloured head is critical), if you're intending to just bread this variation. Just searched my tanks, and can't find one like that....anyone else out there ?

• HOF Member

I'm pretty sure 1 of our members had a picture of 1 but can't remember who it was. I have heaps of Rilis that I culled because they didn't meet with what I am looking for. I will have a look in my cull tank because I may have some.

Hi and welcome to skf :)

Wasn't it Torface who had "spider shrimp"

the rili with the red head only

Thanks guys for having a look! and thanks again for helping out! it would be awesome to be able to find a mate for her so that her genes can be carried on and hopefully create a nice new strain!

Welcome to the forum Alex! It's interesting that you got a blue gene rili out of your cherries! Is it the only one to have popped up?

I'm pretty sure 1 of our members had a picture of 1 but can't remember who it was. I have heaps of Rilis that I culled because they didn't meet with what I am looking for. I will have a look in my cull tank because I may have some.
I believe that would be me :)Currently trying to start a blue velvet bloodline and the first male I selected has similar patterning to Alex's female! Alex's even has the white saddle I hope to isolate with my paired femalemy male1836625_1465359523691914_1469470582_o.jpg

Wow he is a really nice one! I think i may have had a few males that had the gene in them but they never seemed as distinct as my female so i kind of disregarded it as i am only breeding them for the love of shrimp...hahaha! But that was until i realized how rare she was! If you find that you get any more male rili's i would surely be interested in getting one off you to pair up with my female! :) It's amazing what can pop up if you just leave them too it! i started off with 8 shrimp i got from my local LFS so it is kind of unusual that it popped up! if anybody knows anything about genes and why it happens i would love to know, it really fascinates me! If i am able to get any good young from her i would be more then happy to share them round with you guys to keep the strain going :)

Welcome to the forum Alex!! Off to a great start getting everyone thinking of new breeding programs already!!

Keep us posted on your progress, and your pics look great by the way, quite clear.

Welcome and enjoy!!

• HOF Member

I have found a few with very good head colour but they have the tiniest bit of red on their tail. I haven't had a good look will do in the next day or two and take some pictures. You should be able to breed the red tail out but I will see what else turns up. You want to try and use the ones that are nice and red like yours though.

Thanks so much for looking! I am already looking into setting up a small nano tank to selective breed! I hope I will be able to get more from her that are as distinct as her! If anybody else finds they have a male like my female please let me know!!

Welcome to the forum, definitely sounds like you are well on your way to full blown addiction & MTS(multi tank syndrome), that rili you have is awesome & definitely worth the effort to selectively breed it, good luck with it & I hope you have as much fun here as we do! :beer:

G'day Alex welcome to the fold, enjoy.