GH issue

hoang1912

I dont know for some reason, my GH keep increasing from 5 to 6 in few days after water change. In my tank, I cant find nothing will increase my GH. I use matrix, pro sub and eheim ring for the filter. I am using mosura bt-9 and tonic pro, but it doesnt increase GH when tested

Though that there are something wrong with my GH test kit, so I bought a new one and test water, it give me the same result.

I also test the water from RO unit, it GH green from 1st drop. Then I put salty mineral and found out that: Whenever my EC over 200, gh is 6 and under 200, gh is 5. Test Ca as well, only 25 ppm. This mean water come out from RO + mineral have EC= 230 I get GH = 6 and Ca 25 ppm => the CA:Mg ratio is wrong. Is that happens with u guys?:Scratch-Head:

I am planing to use polyresin to reduce GH but it quite risk since it have to be monitored really carefully. Any advice?

I put mineral straight into the RO water, my EC for that mix is ~210, I change 15% water every week.

After water change, GH down to 5 and few day after, it raise to 6 again.....

Just wondering if you adjusted the Ca:Mg ratio if that would help stabilise the GH?? Also, which substrate are you using?

black earth. I dont think anything wrong with substrate. the Ca:Mg from the salty mineral GH+ is right, I dont know why this happens to me. May be going to try the new bottle of mineral GH+

For some reason I keep thinking about the filter media. I can't remember where but I have heard that matrix can affect WP but I haven't experienced this, it might be worth checking if this is causing the problem? :confused:

It might. Because I putted a new filter to this tank 2 months ago with full matrix. But how can I check? shut that filter off? I dont want to kill all bacteria in that filter :(

Btw, my tank dont have any rock or ornaments

Hook the filter upto a bucket

test the water before and after

let it run in the bucket for acouple of days

thats what I would do :)

Unfortunately, I put that filter parallel with the other. Have to finger it out how to take out >"<. What if it true? Have to put away all that matrix? :( it's 5l. That's water in the tank.

With the RO+ salty mineral, anyone have any idea?

Just tested water in the tank, 6 times with 5 GH drop I got 4 green and 2 orange >"

Hmmm, another instance of suspect seachem matrix raising GH.

Watching this thread with interest.

Why don't you take some matrix out to test in a cup?

That's just a recommended minimum amount, as jayc said, put some in a cup of RO water & test it to find out if it is the problem, you need to confirm it first. Make sure you test all the differtent media so we can eliminate them if they aren't raising the GH :encouragement:

Matrix tested (1 matrix /2 RO water), nothing wrong even I shuffle them. Still green from 1st drop. Other filter I am using eheim 2217 come with sub pro, ring and carbon pad.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys because I'm by far no professional.

But when I use to do my 10% water changes weekly with RO water and salty shrimp to an EC of around 200-210 my GH and EC use to creep up a lil higher each week then I started doing water changes with EC around 140-150 and my tank has maintained a steady EC of 220 and GH of 5 ever since, maybe try keeping the EC of the water your changing with at a lower EC to combat the slow EC and GH increase... All I've read about matrix is that it can increase KH but I have used matrix when I bred discus and apisto's with out any problems.

As my friend also using matrix as well, 6 filters full of matrix without any problems. With salty mineral, it have to be GH=4,5 even u have EC 100 (tds 50) or EC 400 (tds 200) isnt it?

That sounds like a very reasonable theory dude! I always find as we get more into a hobby or interest we focus more on the more difficult problems or causes & tend to overlook the simple solutions. I am a big fan of the K.I.S.S. theory(Keep It Simple Stupid) but I still find myself going to the more difficult stuff & it usually requires someone who is(as you said) "no professional" to bring me back to the simple solutions, well done DG! :encouragement:

I just got a brand new mineral GH+ from Dean, take it out and test.

EC 170 (tds 80) GH green at 5 drop

EC 220,300 GH orange at 5 drop.

It happens with my old mineral GH+ as well. Is it the same thing as u guys?

Thanks squigs! You learn the K.I.S.S method quickly in this hobby!

hoang I don't test the GH of my RO water as I found that at EC of 140ish (TDS just above 90 at EC x 0.64) my GH is always about 4-5. I just focus on my EC being at roughly 50% of desired tank EC and it's fine maybe at your 15% water changes keep you EC of your RO water a lil higher than 50%. It will take a few weeks to come down but slow and steady wins the race in my opinion!!

with 15% water change every week, GH down to 5 from 6 then it raise up to 6 in few days. That's the problem and I cant find the source of raising GH.

I am testing matrix and see how's it goes.

Matrix is "completely inert" according to the seachem website.

The amount you use should not affect water parameters at all.

But maybe they have changed manufacturing processes or now use cheaper materials that isn't as good as the original.