Activated Carbon

Twellsy

Hi All ,

Over the last couple of weeks I have lost a large number of CRS and CBS ( in two different tanks ) only seems to be females and when they are berried , cherry shrimp share the same tanks and they seem ok and breeding

I have checked all parameters they are all good

ph6.4 - tds 180 - temp 23 and so forth and done a few water changes

I was told to add some activated charcoal to the filters and touch wood , fingers crossed haven't lost any for the last 5 days and have a couple berried now.

my questions are

1. How long do I leave the bags of activated charcoal in the filters for ( been 5 days so far )

2. When I remove the bags do I throw the charcoal away or can it be reused ( my thought was to throw as not to put anything contaminated back in later )

3. Do I throw the little bags away or can they be reused , again don't want to put anything contaminated back in later

Cheers Twellsy

That's great that you've(touch wood) found the problem. :D Activated carbon will exhaust in about 3-4weeks & you cannot recharge it, so definitely throw it away. Also, you can reuse the bag it is in, just need to give it a good rinse & it will be fine, good luck dude! :encouragement:

Advice given so far is good. Only advice I'll add is .... Definitely don't use charcoal/carbon long term. And,

You can reuse it in your garden or potted plants. It's great for plants. Only nutrients absorbed can be released for the plants.

Thanks for the replys , I will remove the bags in a week or two then and throw them into the pot plants

As for the draw string bags I think I will throw them instead of taking a chance ( knowing my luck ), I had to buy these seperate anyway and weren't that expensive. About $3 each

Thanks again

Cheers Twellsy

I also have a question about active carbon. Does it increase GH? since I put a bag of active carbon in my tank, I found that GH keep increasing to 6 instead of 5. Want to confirm this with u guys.

If you rinsed it well enough it should have no effect, carbon should only become a problem when you leave it in for too long. :D

Someone remind me the purpose of having carbon in the tank as i cant recall been so long since i used it. I still have a heap from when squiggle or someone send me some extra.

Thinking of buying a hob filter so i can just put it in the hob when needed and remove it as opposed to having to mess with the canister.

• 7 years later...