Tank division

BristledOne

Just wondering if I could get some peoples opinions on what the best material is for allowing flow between divided sections? Someone once linked me some pre-cut filter foam inserts that you simply push into the hole but I cant recall who provided the link and now I cant find them again :/

I've heard of people using stainless steel mesh with some success but I'm not entirely sure how to mount it apart from silicone it over the holes in the dividers?

If I could find them again I'd probably like to go the foam inserts as that way when they need to be cleaned I can simply clean them and pop them back in, plus it would allow more space for bacteria to colonize effectively filtering the water as it moves from section to section...

So yeah, would appreciate feedback from people on what they've used or liked and if someone happens to know of the foam inserts I speak of I'd really appreciate a link! :D

Thanks everyone!

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy,

I've received a quote from a local LFS that I'm happy with so might be forging ahead with this soonish :D Current plan is to have a tank built that is 3ft long, 12" deep and 15" high, the dividers will be 12" high so in the event of flow between sections blocking the worst that will happen is that one section will overflow into the next allowing shrimp passage. I'll use 2x Eheim 2213's in series as filtration and each section will have a pre-used sponge filter for additional airation and filtration.

My hurdle right now is the material to use to cover the holes in the divider, I'm aware Marine Grade stainless steel mesh looks to be the best option but I was wondering if anyone with experience could advise me the best mesh to use as I'm wanting water to flow through but obviously not shrimplets.

Any thoughts? Really keen to have some input from people already using dividers with flow-through.

Hey mate ,

When I did my dividers I used some black sponge from my LFS , it came in a large sqaure about 50cmx50cm and about 2 inches thick ( its a pretty fine weave ) All I did was cut a square a little larger than the hole and made a small cut around the edge so I could squeeze a square block into a round hole. Haven't had any shrimplets pass through it

I can post some photos of my dividers and the sponge tommorrow if you want

How much do you need ?

Cheers Twellsy

Thanks for your help Twellsy!

If you could send me a pic of them in use that would be great :) But that does sound like a good solution and somewhat like what I was originally after!

I'm only getting one tank to start off with, so that would mean two dividers. Only planning on having one hole per divider as I'm going to be charged for each hole cut, I figure a 60mm hole per divider should allow enough flow

Hey mate ,

A couple of photos of my tank and the foam

Tank side on ( I have 4 holes per divider , have seen tanks with 1 to 5 holes )

52D1A782-6B2D-4D59-B4A4-9F81AAC2D2D6_zps6ydkmjrz.jpg

Close up of the foam filled hole

EFB249E7-419A-4573-91F2-B10183C707D7_zpspxmsvenz.jpg

Foam held up to a light ( holes get smaller cause its squashed into the divider)

3E807D09-1C75-497C-A44A-EECA362D75F5_zpsjaqjrjy0.jpg

Foam thicknes

6DCAD849-6EDD-4CCE-B92F-E2BEFCE99980_zpspqqjm5vr.jpg

Foam in divider

77825F8F-01CD-4F4E-ACCF-C3ED96D27B17_zpsbmudmhec.jpg

Pm me your address and I will send you some foam , I have plenty spare

Cheers Twellsy

I have similar foam to i have used but i have also used fly screen aswell and siliconed it on but didnt look as good as the sponge but alot easier to clean

What I think I'll do is go with the sponge inserts to start off with and if it ends up having issues then might switch it over for some Marine Grade stainless steel mesh, but I'm unsure what size mesh would be too fine for the shrimplets.

But with that said I'm pretty confident the sponge will do the job nicely! :D

• 3 months later...

Well sadly shrimp keep getting through the foam inserts somehow in my tank so I'm looking at making the switch over to Stainless Steel mesh just to be certain it doesnt keep occurring.

What type is considered the best kind when it comes to shrimplets? I hear that #40 is the most popular choice at the moment for shrimp, but according to the ebay seller #50 is the choice for Aquarium/pond filtration

$(KGrHqRHJDYE-9FFSE)4BQBl4R(wkQ~~60_12.J

$T2eC16RHJGQE9noM,Bd(BQBZkZswsg~~60_12.J

I'm thinking of dropping the water level and leaving the shrimp in the tank while I silicone it in place. Would silicone be able to dry enough to be water/shrimp safe in a few hours? @BlueBolts do I recall you mentioning a silicone able to be used under water? or was that someone else?...

Thanks again for your help everyone :) Hopefully soon I'll get the 3ft's small quirks all ironed out soon and stop these silly shrimp from escaping their sections :p

I am fairly sure the silicone needs to be dry to cure and they recommend a few days to do so.

I had the same problem with shrimp getting through my mesh some how but never with my fly screen when that tank was used lol.

If you havent had the dividers put it re consider having more holes put in them before hand. I had a custom 4ftr built with 2 dividers. I have one divider with 3 30mm holes drilled going down and i left the other one solid so i could keep two different water paremeters and now i regret it and its just so hard to get the holes drilled without removing the divider 

Would silicone be able to dry enough to be water/shrimp safe in a few hours? @BlueBolts do I recall you mentioning a silicone able to be used under water?

Hey dude im pretty sure aquotix stocks the stuff you can use under water