New Shrimp!

Jess

I got some new shrimp yesterday! :D

Gbang very generously donated a few beautiful Red Cherry Shrimp to help with my attempts to breed some redder babies, and I also bought some CRS and CBS culls from him at the same time.

I’ve only ever had Red Cherries before and, in my infinite wisdom, just dumped them straight in the tank when I first got them. Luckily they were fine, but this time I've been a bit more delicate and drip-acclimated them. Took me a while to figure out because I’m hopeless at that sort of thing, but I managed it in the end and felt ridiculously proud of myself xD

Here’s a photo :P

25rh1xc.jpg

Didn’t get any decent photos of the Cherries before I put them in the tank, but they’re now in this breeder box with my reddest girl (and a lot of little snails, apparently).

34qldsj.jpg

Here are a couple of the CBS and CRS during acclimation

vihem0.jpg

And here’s what they looked like today after a good night’s rest

r1an1j.jpg

I think one of the CRS females was saddled (haven’t seen one before so not entirely sure) so I’ve put her and one male CRS in the breeder box with the Cherries for now. What do you think? Is that a saddle?

ivbho2.jpg

I’m so excited about these new little guys so I’ll be sure to update this thread with their progress. :D

Thanks again to Gbang for being so wonderful and helpful!

Wow Jess good luck with your CBS and crs hope all goes well I know my 1 st attempt was a quite upsetting one lol they are nice looking culls though good on Gbang for sharing the love of shrimp with all

Hehe, thank you ;D

Here's a few more photos of the new guys that I took earlier today

One of the very Red Cherries

2qleutv.jpg

A couple of CBS - is the one on the right what you'd call a "hinomaru"?

14boysj.jpg

And a male Cherry that for some reason hasn't turned back to his red colour yet. Hoping he's not sick!

qqehed.jpg

Still feeling thrilled to own such beautiful little guys. Found myself lying awake at 2am last night, wondering what they were up to and trying to resist the temptation to turn the light on and have a look xD

You've gone shrimp mad Jess lol I sit in front of my tanks every night with my son and we just watch them I talk to him and show him the different types grades etc also the fish and hopefully when he can talk he'll be a mini aquarium expert

Them some very nice coloured female Cherries. Good quality, Nice shrimp!

You've gone shrimp mad Jess lol I sit in front of my tanks every night with my son and we just watch them I talk to him and show him the different types grades etc also the fish and hopefully when he can talk he'll be a mini aquarium expert

Awww, that sounds so cute! I bet he grows up to be marine biologist or something, hehe. Hopefully his first words will still be "mummy" or "daddy" and not something like "Mosura"though! :D

And thanks, Triggs ^_^

-Update-

Very sad to say that I lost one of my beautiful CRS a couple of days ago. She was one of the two in the breeder box. After I found that she had died I let the other CRS out of breeder box and realised he was really pale. I'm guessing that being in the breeder was too stressful for them, for one reason or another (too much light, too much heat?). Thankfully the other CRS has coloured up beautifully after being let out of the box and doesn't seem any worse for wear. Lesson learnt.

All the others seem to be doing well so far. All the Cherries in the breeder box seem fine, no deaths there. The CRS and CBS each seem to have staked out there own little "territories" of about 20cm square, or at least that's where they always seem to be. For example, one little CRS likes to hang out around the rocks beneath the Rotala Wallichii, and one of the CBS has a particular section of driftwood that he really seems to like. It's very cute ;)

Got a new (well, second hand) little 10 litre tank that I'm going to try putting a pair of Cherries in. Might need to start a blog to keep a little journal of the developments :)

They totally do! I actually made some little "houses" a while ago (mini flower pots with gravel glued to the outside) so it's very cute seeing them hanging around outside as if they own them :P

So, yesterday the suction cups that were holding by breeder box to the tank sort of...failed. I woke up and found that it had slipped to the bottom of the tank and all the nicely red shrimp had swam (swum?) out and a whole lot of others had gone in (seriously, there were so many in there it was like that were having a party or something).

I have temporarily abandoned the attempt at segregation while I hunt for a new breeder box. I'm waist-deep in Uni assignments at the moment so I haven't had a chance drive across town and check out the other LFS over there, but I will hopefully be able to find floating plastic one. :)

In the meantime, Gbang's pretty red shrimp seem to be enjoying their freedom. They're pretty easy to tell apart from the rest, so catching them again shouldn't be too much of a problem. I should probably take this opportunity to get some good photos of them, just need to find where I put my camera...