newb to forum and to shrimpkeeping

bozzy

hello all.

i bought some cherry shrimp a few months ago as something a little different to the fish i had and for tankmates for my yabbies. the more i watched them the more i enjoyed watching them. then they started to multiply and multiply. from my origional 20 i now have over 100 with at least 20 berried females.

i did a little research and decided to branch out into another color and a better breeding setup.

i set up a divided 3 foot tank and purchased 25 yellow cherries (still juvenile). the yellows are in half of the divided tank with the best 12 cherries in the other side. my plan is to selectivly breed the yellows and reds adding new bloodlines in every second generation till i can get shrimp with a solid color.

the culls will go into my 4 foot tank with the yabbies and will either be sold off, given away or fed to the fish.

yellows when i got them home

20140108_200135_zpsddd17bc4.jpg

my shrimp tanks

20140109_203708_zps3d2e2a02.jpg

20140109_203749_zps09df27af.jpg

20140109_203741_zps90cce5d9.jpg

Welcome to the forum, definitely the best place to be to learn about shrimp! :encouragement:

Looks like you're well on your way, I feel I must warn you that shrimp are incredibly addictive & very quickly lead to MTS(multi tank syndrome) & it looks like you are starting to show signs of being hooked, lol :rofl:

Your tanks look awesome, well done! :victorious:

• HOF Member

Welcome to SKF shrimp are definitely addictive little things and we all seem to just want more and more tanks to fill with the little creatures. Sounds like you are off to a flying start .:hiya:

Welcome bozzy, life will never be the same since you contracted MTS, i'm afraid everyone on here has it and there is no known cure other than more tanks and more shrimp, good luck.

LOL' date=' I blame my kids.....[/quote']

Actually so do I

early last year they begged me for goldfish, one of the boys has been saying he wants to be a marine bioligist for a couple of years now (hes 5 1/2) so i got one of those

$30 tanks from kmart and we went to the LFS and got some goldfish.

3 weeks later it was apparant the tank was to small for 4 goldfish so i bought a bigger tank (10g) for them and bought yabby for the little tank. (the meginning of MTS right there)

then the yabby looked lonely so i had to get another tank and a friend for the yabby. (3 foot standard)

then i bought some neon tetras as ive always wanted some of them. then the tank was overcrowded. so i bought a bare 4 foot tank and light and some woodworking tools and timber and i built a stand. once that was running i moved the fish into that and bought some more fish...

so now the back room has

a 2 foot cube tank on a cabnet i built and is full of fish (doing a little thinning at the moment)

a 3 foot tank on cabnet full of goldfish (babysitting fish for a mate currently but sold him the tank so when he picks up the fish the tank will be gone too)

a 3 foot divided tank on stand i made with a 10gal tank underneath (top tank has yellow/red cherries, bottom tank is currently empty)

a 4 foot tank on a stand i made which has all my cherry cull in it along with 4 yabbies (1 adult and 3 babies)

then theres a 620t tank with bristlenoses and fry in it

and a 10gal aclimation/hospital/quarantine/spare tank which spends more time inside than it does on the verandah where it sits when its not being used

LOL, similar story to most us hobbyist …The only room I haven't got a tank is in my bedroom….gotta make the other half feel in control :redface-new: hehe

i actually had a tank in the bedroom for a few weeks but had a mould outbraek in there a week after the tank went in that we put down to excess moisture in the air from the eveporation from the tank so it had to come back out