Fluval 206 V/S Eheim 2213

shrimpstan

Hey shrimp slaves,

Im going to be doing a 2ft planted tank with Black Earth as the substrate. it might end up hosting culls or wilds or something like that but primarily its purpose is for plants. i plan on using ferts, co2, LEDs and whatever is needed to make these plants boost. im tossing up between a 206 or another 2213. or should i go bigger? this will be my first full on planted tank so open to suggestions :)

My question is really something more along the lines of what do people think of the 206 fluval? im a long time eheim classic user and own many a classic canister but i have to say im keen to try a fluval.. more so just for something new.. but only if it gets the good reviews :p

Any pro's and con's i should be aware of before making a purchase?

Keen to hear thought and advice so please dont be shy and have ur say..

Fluval V/S Eheim here we go again!!

Eheim all the way mate. Stick with eheim. I would go with 2215 for your 2ft setup. I am always a fan of over filtration ;)

+1 for the Eheim 2215.

You can even mod it with the 2217 impeller to give it a flow rate boost. Like giving the 2215 a turbo boost upgrade.

so that's Eheim 2... Fluval 0 so far anyway..

thanks guys!

anyone out there using fluval 206 or 306?

honestly i don't need convincing with eheim i know they go great guns!

Eheim all the way mate. Stick with eheim. I would go with 2215 for your 2ft setup. I am always a fan of over filtration ;)

thanks mate!

i hear ya.. but here's my next question.. considering that there will not be much livestock in this setup is it necessary to over filter? its just for plants.. or do plants need filtration just as much as fish or shrimp?

thanks mate!

i hear ya.. but here's my next question.. considering that there will not be much livestock in this setup is it necessary to over filter? its just for plants.. or do plants need filtration just as much as fish or shrimp?

Well in that case 2213 should be fine.

No use asking me cause I'm a mad Eheim snob from way back, hahahaha :smiley_simmons: I've had a 2028 & 2226 for 15yrs with not problems. :encouragement:

Pro's: Eheim is Eheim, they invented the canister filter. :victorious:

Con's: Fluval is not made by Eheim, hahaha :congratulatory:

My vote goes for a Fluval G3. After purchasing 3 over the last couple of months' date=' I must say I am very very impressed.[/quote']

The G3 was actually part of my search but honestly I cant justify it just for a planted tank + culls/wilds.. there's really no need.. besides i already have 3 TDS pens :p

Also, for the price I could have another 2213 AND the 206 :p

Great little unit though! ;)

Thanks Eshrimp :encouragement:

Shrimpstan, i am no expert on canister filters as i never used them until i started to keep shrimp. I now have 1x 2213 & 1X2215 each running a 2ft tank also a 206 on a 2ft tank all do an excellent job but i must say the 206 is the quietest.

Have owned and sold both have had a fluval runn for 15years plus no probs as have had ehim do the same .If you had to ask what my pref would be go ehim.go 2215 or 2217 all my 2215 get a 2217 impeller upgrade for planted tanks as extra flow helps with co2 and fert distribution.

Shrimpstan' date=' i am no expert on canister filters as i never used them until i started to keep shrimp. I now have 1x 2213 & 1X2215 each running a 2ft tank also a 206 on a 2ft tank all do an excellent job but i must say the 206 is the quietest.[/quote']

Hi Shrimp Aqua, thanks for your reply! :encouragement:

Sound isn't really an issue as its downstairs and i have an LP60 so all u hear is bubbles :p

Does the actual flow rate compare more with the 2213 or the 2215 in your experience?

Have owned and sold both have had a fluval runn for 15years plus no probs as have had ehim do the same .If you had to ask what my pref would be go ehim.go 2215 or 2217 all my 2215 get a 2217 impeller upgrade for planted tanks as extra flow helps with co2 and fert distribution.

Hi Daydream, thanks for the reply :encouragement:

Is there any particular reason why u chose eheim over fluval? Do u know if both are still made in Germany/Italy?

Most are made in china.Found that ehim are easyer to aquire parts if needed And lets face it classic series ehim still the same as it was 30 years ago if its not broke don't fix it.They got it right first time no need to change the design.

Thanks guys for ur replys.. it ended up being a wash out eheim 5-fluval 0... and guess who now owns a brand new 2215!! :)

Thanks again for ur opinions :encouragement:

HOORAY!!! Nice work dude! :victorious:

Cheers mate! I've gotta say i was expecting more ppl to say fluval but even the guys at shop said go eheim.. ended up being a no brainer.

Decided going a bit bigger for now cos it'll last for many years.. probably much longer than the 'planted tank' im using it for :p

Glad you made the decision and chose Eheim sure you won't be disappointed, good luck.

I have a 3 foota u can have bro

Cheers mate!

I knew I bought a 2215 for a reason! ;)

I'll have to come up one day soon bro

Glad you made the decision and chose Eheim sure you won't be disappointed' date=' good luck.[/quote']

Thanks mate for ur help! I know I'll be happy :)