Bacterial infection

K9932

Hey guys,

So quite recently it has been brought to my attention that I may have a bacterial infection within my CBS tank. They have been dropping off (at least one every 2 days) for a week or 2 now. And my colony of 30+ is down to 4.

I have ordered a product that some have recommended to help the shrimps imune system but it hasnt shown up yet so I have no idea what to do. I have had my blue cherries in there the entire time and the 4 of the. Are completely fine. So im left thinking that this disease can't be transfered to a different species of shrimp?

What blows my mind, is that one of my berried mums had her bubs (just before she passed R.I.P) and I have been counting them every day. The numbers just keep growing. It doesn't look like any are being affected by the potentially deadly disease in my tank.

Will it only be a matter of time before they pass too?

Is there anything else I can try to eliminate this disease?

Cheers,

If new shrimps have been introduced recently/prior to these deaths, then a bacteria infection is no doubt a possibility.

but there are other considerations and more immediate remedies that should be considered.

1. Nitrates. Check your nitrates, and/or if there's been a nitrate spike...deaths can occur upto 4-5 weeks.

2. Water Quality. These can cause added stress to our shrimps, and can lower up immunity, and "inflame" the bacteria risk etc that maybe in the water. Similar to us being tired / exhausted ... We get more susceptible le to getting sick.

If you're comfortable with all your parameters, I'd immediately do a 10-15% RO water change, followed by a daily 5% RO water chnage.

I havent added any new shrimp to the tank for a good month. All nitrates have stayed stable and water parametres have been stable also.

I did have a random ph spike (from my usual 6.4 to 7.9 over night) aftee adding a mineral supplement for the first time. Would this perhaps the the cause of stress?

This guy has lost colour around his mod section in the last 2 hours. He's walking very slow and doesnt move at all sometimes. I think I might be down to 3 CBS by tomorrow :(

post-1355-139909855183_thumb.jpg

It is very important you do not share nets or anything that has been in that tank with other tanks...A Ph spike of 1.5 overnight is not good at all

They're definitely not happy…… I'd doubt its a bacterial issue, more a WP issue. As we know, stability is important…..I'd recommend the WC I mentioned before and check your TDS, and other WP again.

What mineral supplement did you add, and how much? What does the packaging say dosage should be?

Also, what temps is your tank at?

I have nets for all my tanks.

All other shrimp tanks are fine, so not sure what went wrong with this one.

I checked wp today and all are in check. My tds pen should get here monday. If not I will borrow someone's near me.

I used shirakura (think thats how you spell it) only the tiniest bit. The packaging says a pinch. Not very precise.. temp is at 23.

I came home today to find no shrimp deaths. That's the first time in weeks!

So happy right now. I know the worst is probably to come but just wanted to share this little bit of light on the topic :)