Shrimp noobie, shroobie?

BristledOne

Hi everyone, new to SKF and shrimp keeping in general.

I've tried having cherry shrimp once in the past with some guppies but they never bred and eventually died off.

well some time has passed since then so was thinking of getting into the shrimp and doing it right. So I've got some Benibachi soil and some other stuff on order and hopefully will do my first ever scape with proper substrate in my 2ft tank.

Currently I've got some Cherry's that are doing pretty well, been alot of moulting and berrying happening. They'll be moved from the 2ft into a slightly smaller tank soon when the 2ft starts being cycled with the benibachi.

I hope to learn alot here, as I know there is much for me to learn!

For starters, if someone didnt mind helping I cant find anything online to help me get my head around the difference between a CRS and a mishling? cant yet search the forum to sus it out lol.

Anyway, hello and thanks for having me!

Welcome to the forum, definitely the best place to be to learn about shrimp, ask as many questions as you like cause we don't believe in dumb questions here.

It's quite easy to clarify the difference, CRS are pure crystal red shrimp & mischlings are CRS or CBS that have been crossed with Taiwan Bees, either Pandas, King Kongs, Bluebolts, Wine Reds or Ruby Reds. Mischling is a German word fir hybrid & these guys are used so you get a percentage of the babies that are TBM(Taiwan Bee Mischlings). It's a cheaper option for someone to get great looking shrimp(phenotype) without the pure TB genetics(genotype). :encouragement:

Hope you have as much fun here as we do! :victorious:

Ah, ok so from now on I'll associate Mishling with hybrid/crossbreed. Thanks squiggle (btw love the name,brings back memories. upside down, upside down, upside down!)

I have family that got me into shrimp but WA fisheries were causing a bit of a ruccus and we seem pretty far behind the other states because of it when it comes to shrimp keeping, I'd really like to try and find some nice SS or SSS CRS or CBS both for my own visual pleasure as well as potentially breeding if I treat them right.

been noticing alot of shrimp packs popping up on facebook of late, not many high grade PRL CRS but lots of mishling shrimp... Would really like to start with a small number of SSS grade CRS to try to prevent drop of quality from mixed grades breeding... (figure some offspring will come out as a lower grade but then they can be sorted, bred and/or sold off)

I was going to upload some pics but hit the file size limit, am i restricted atm or is it best to upload elsewhere and link here? :)

Hahaha, yeah I used to watch it all the time, oh hurry up! :encouragement:

Also, the only shrimp that are called Mischlings are CRS/CBS crossed with Taiwan Bees, if you cross CRS/CBS with Tigers then you get Tibees.

Yeah WA has some pretty interesting rules but the are starting to relax a bit since the election.

There are no true PRL in Aus but there are people working on it but there are plenty of mischlings, lol :smiley_simmons:

Welcome to the Forum ;)

Lot of experienced members on here for brain picking !!!

Pretty sure we were talking on FB last night... :encouragement:

Welcome BristledOne, you are now destined to become a member of the Addiction club. Plenty of information here to help you out.

Hahaha' date=' yeah I used to watch it all the time, oh hurry up! :encouragement:Also, the only shrimp that are called Mischlings are CRS/CBS crossed with Taiwan Bees, if you cross CRS/CBS with Tigers then you get Tibees. Yeah WA has some pretty interesting rules but the are starting to relax a bit since the election.There are no true PRL in Aus but there are people working on it but there are plenty of mischlings, lol :smiley_simmons:[/quote']Well now, that just makes me think maybe I should get a mischling pack and see what lines I can possibly breed from their genetics?Lol, or do you mean this morning? so...very...early *sleepy face*Thankyou muchly :)Haha, yeah I tend to just jump from one to another (he says whilst sitting infront of his PC with three monitors) I got back into fish with bristlenose catfish, the shrimp have started to overtake :pJust finished draining out my 2ft and removed all the gravel, I couldnt figure out a way to get all the baby cherry reds so I've just had to turn a blind eye and save what I can.Over the coming 24 hours I hope to clean, scape and fill my 2ft tank. Just received an order of Benibachi products so going to try to take things slow and do it right the first time :D-quick edit- meaning I'll be cycling the tank before I just dump in livestock, I've got some Blue Gene Red Rili that will go in there, the red cherries are going into an all-in-one tank I set up a week ago and have had some guppies living in happily during that time so it's ready for shimp use.

Welcome shroobie!!

Sounds like you have great plans and are off to a great start, beninachi is my preference of substrate, very consistent results.

Ask lots of questions and prepare to become addicted. There are so many shrimp varieties the possibilities are endless!!

Be sure to post pics of the setup and maybe consider starting a journal thread, this will help other shroobies in the future!

Welcome and enjoy!

Yeah shroobie seems you are well on your way to addiction, slow and easy is the go to keep disasters to a minimum.

Good luck with whatever types you keep and enjoy.