Inert substrate for cherrys

Trav80

Hi all,

I'm setting up a new 3 foot tank for my cherrys (red & yellow), and picked up 40kgs of midnite black 2mm gravel. I was told by the guy at the shop it was inert and he uses it for multiple tanks with ph ranging from 5.5 to 8.5.

I thought I was being smart and tried to placing it in the tank without washing it and using bags to cover it ala benibachi / shrimps and style so it would not cloud up to much. That seemed to work but the gravel was not black it was brown but the tank was clear the next morning. I tested the ph a couple of says ago and it was 8.9, my tap water is only 7.3.

I decided to give it all a good wash, took me 2.5 hours and now it is black but once the tank was refilled the ph was still sitting very high at 8.5.

Is midnite black gravel really inert or am I doing something wrong?

that PH is crazy high mate, especially for black gravel. are you sure your ph pen is calibrated correctly?

is there any white in it at all?

I'm picking up some ph4.01 & ph7.01 calibration solutions on my next day off just in case, but I did check it against the API ph and high range ph test kit. So I'm sure it's ok, just needs to be calibrated lower as it takes a fair while to get a solid reading as it was calibrated with ph10 solution at the factory.

There isn't much white pieces in the substrate at all, it's mostly black and brown/red. I have left the tank empty so in a few days I will give it another good wash just incase it's the dust/dirt in the soil.

Where are you going to get your calibration solution?

I'm getting it from the manufacturer, Hanna Instruments. They are only 15 minutes from me. I think they said a 500ml bottle was around $25 or so, I was going to get them from overseas but the shipping would make it to expensive.

Have now washed the gravel so many times that I have lost count. PH out of the tap is 7.3 and the PH in this tank is 8.2.

I hate being BSed to, the guy at the aquarium swore it would not increase or decrease the PH at all, he even showed me some that would increase it.

Now I have 40kg of 2mm black gravel I can't use and I'm back to square one. Any ideas on a dark/black substrate that is inert?

Dean, do you recall the name of the stuff you were using in your 4foot cherry tank?

What brand of black gravel did you buy?

I'm thinking that you may have been sold gravel that is commonly used for African Cichlid tanks - which has been designed to raise and buffer the PH ......

If you asked for inert gravel, and got something else, then take it back to the dealer and ask them to swap it over or give you your money back ;)

After all, you simply didn't get what you were after ....

It was 2mm midnite black gravel. I will try get down to the aquarium this weekend. I figure they won't do anything, if that's the case I will not go in there again.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• ngoomie
      Yeah, cancer risk was a thing I'd seen mentioned a lot when looking into gentian violet briefly. I kinda just figured it might only be as bad as the cancer risk of malachite green as well, but maybe I should look into it more. I've been doing a pretty good job of not getting it on my skin and also avoiding dunking my unprotected hands into the tank water while treating my fish at least, though. Maybe I'll just not use it once I'm done this course of medication anyways, because I know a store I can sometimes get to that's pretty distant carries both malachite green and methylene blue, and in pretty large quantities.
    • jayc
      Can't help you with Gentian Violet, sorry. It is banned in Australia violet for potential toxicity, and even possible cancer risks. I thought it was banned in Canada as well. At least, you now know why there isn't much info on gentian violet medication and it's use. But keep an eye on the snails after a week. If it affects the snails, it might not kill them immediately. So keep checking for up to a week. Much safer options out there. No point risking your own life over unsafe products.
    • ngoomie
      Hello! I have a tank that currently does not contain shrimp, but does contain neon tetras which I am currently treating for Ich, as well as some bladder snails. Shrimp will be a later addition, likely cherry shrimp but I'm still doing research just to be sure. Initially I'd intended to buy some sort of Ich-fighting product that contains malachite green after doing a decent bit of research on it, most of which indicated that it should be shrimp-safe so I'd be good if I ever needed to use it again once shrimp were actually introduced (though I should note I'm aware shrimp can't get Ich, I'm more wondering in case the tetras could get Ich again, or something else that responds to similar medication). I ended up not being able to find any MG-containing products without either having to travel quite far or wait multiple days for delivery (which I was worried could lead the Ich to be fatal), and ended up picking up 'Top Fin Ick Remedy', a product that contains gentian violet which is a triarylmethane dye like malachite green. The bottle has two slightly differently worded warnings about its use with invertebrates ("not recommended for" and "not safe for" respectively), but when I'd been researching malachite green, I'd also heard of products that contain MG but not any other ingredients that would be harmful to inverts still being branded with warnings that they could be harmful, just as a "just-in-case" since the manufacturer didn't test it on any inverts, and I'm wondering if maybe it could be a similar situation here. I'm having a very very hard time finding information about gentian violet's use in fishkeeping at all though, it seems currently extremely uncommon. What I will say though is that I'm on day 2 of treating my tetras with it, and the bladder snails seem just fine -- in fact today I noticed what looked to be a bladder snail that appeared to be newly hatched (because of its size) that I hadn't seen before that was zipping around the tank without issue. But obviously, shrimp are not snails, and bladder snails are also notoriously hardy little guys, so what I'm seeing right now could easily be totally inapplicable to cherry shrimp. It might even be inapplicable to other species of snails, for all I know. Has anyone else here ever used anything that contains gentian violet in a tank that actually does contain shrimp? Were they okay, or should I make sure to not use it once shrimp are added?
    • sdlTBfanUK
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58BrDSEY8KE  
    • beanbag
      One interesting thing he mentioned was "Bacteria pressure", which I guess just means number of bacteria around.  Yet I see all these other videos from shrimpkeepers bragging about how much bacteria their filtering system holds. Also interesting is no mention of using anti-biotics to treat bacterial infection.  I think that has fallen out of favor recently.