New to Shrimp Keeper & SKF

keego

Hi All,

I returned to fish keeping, after selling up tanks while kids (4) were toddlers, several years ago now. I'm just starting to build a small fish for cichlids, when I came across cherries and instantly become fascinated with this little crittes. Looking forwards to learning and keeping cherries.

Thanks

Keego

Welcome to SKF Keeho. Yes shrimps are fascinating ! Absolutely got many of us hooked and developing MTS (multiple tank syndrome). Lots to read on this forum, and a great community :-)

• HOF Member

Hi welcome to SKF lots to see and learn here and lots of friendly people happy to share their knowledge with you. The forum will open for you as you post so the more you post the more you see. Feel free to ask any questions we don't believe any question is silly here so just ask and someone will be sure to answer. Hope you enjoy our forum:encouragement:

Welcome Keego,

Lots of beautiful shrimp varieties available to keep. Lots to learn be sure to ask lots of questions.

Welcome & enjoy

Thanks @Newbreed & @ineke. I'm currently converting a 900x460x460 tank, that was housing 10 mpangs, removed substrate, just added 18lts of Fluval Stratum. I've recently order 1) chocolates' 10 juveinle & trio, & yellows' 13 females, 5 males & 10 juveinles. Planning on obtaining some blues before Xmas.

Be warned, the different colours will cross breed. It is usually recommended to keep the different strains in their own tanks.

Mixing colors in one tank may not give you pure color offspring.

Thanks, I currently got 10 empty sitting around., will be a couple of weeks between obtaining yellow. hoping to have at least 1 triple 6ft wide rack in place and start. With these 900 tanks, Im thinking of dividing them into 3 sections. How much tanks space is required? of would you kept a colony in a 3 ft tank

Welcome to the forum, definitely the best place to be to learn about shrimp. Sounds like you have a good plan, can't wait to see when you get it all up & running. We love pics here so whack some up when you get a chance. Hope you have as much fun here as we do! :victorious:

funny-animal-gifs-animal-gifs-you-know-that-feel-when-you-want-to-dive-headfirst-into-the-arctic-ocean_zps7a111f6d.gif

• HOF Member

Size is an individual thing, if you have the room then a big tank is best but if you seriously start breeding shrimp and decide to selectively breed them ideally you want 3 areas or tanks for each colour. Things to think about would be how to divide, water circulation- ideally if the 3 ft is divided into 3 sections it is good to have the same water conditions in each section so you can pick out the shrimp you want to keep and just put them straight into the next section so you need to think about water circulation, will you have holes cut in the dividing partition to allow water out one end and water in the other end. Also if a 3 ft tank is divided into 3 you will need to watch population as well you don't want shrimp having to climb over each other to get food they need a bit of space to scavenge. Look at the shrimp tank photo section when that opens for you and also the tank journals that some members have put up.

Above all water conditions are paramount, stable water conditions are extremely important for The Crystals and TB's and still important for the Cherry family but they are a bit more tolerant :encouragement:

@ineke, thanks, I'm interested in cherrys, as stated above . I have some chocolates coming Monday, then 1st week of December yellow. During the 24hrs on this site I've seen so many different varieties. Very much interested in Blues, then I find there are several types of blues, all very attractive. head spinning reviewing the in-depth breeding members perform. My first aim is to provide a healthy environment for the shrimp. baby steps first. heaps of reading & reviewing member experiences.

Cant wait.

Welcome to the forum' date=' definitely the best place to be to learn about shrimp. Sounds like you have a good plan, can't wait to see when you get it all up & running. We love pics here so whack some up when you get a chance. Hope you have as much fun here as we do! :victorious:

funny-animal-gifs-animal-gifs-you-know-that-feel-when-you-want-to-dive-headfirst-into-the-arctic-ocean_zps7a111f6d.gif

Thanks squiggle