Sign in to follow this  
jayc

Dead shrimp - Failed moult? opinions pls

jayc

This afternoon, found my 1st gen CRS ... dead. :sorrow:

Mother to 20+ offspring. May she rest in peace.

I also noticed this ...

post-1355-139909865765_thumb.jpg

post-1355-13990986577_thumb.jpg

Notice the deformed head area.

Legs also look funny.

What's not so evident in the photos is that the "skin" - the red part, on the head ... is loose!

As in it's peeling. No it's not the shell, which is clear/off white. You see a tiny spec of it in the 2nd pic, top right.

I think it's a failed moult. (I hope)

Cause there is a moulted shell nearby.

However, I'm open to opinions. Why does it look so deformed?

post-3460-139909863834_thumb.jpg

post-3460-139909863838_thumb.jpg

BlueBolts

+1 on a failed moult....is her body soft to touch ?

Squiggle

+2, looks like a failed moult to me too, doh! :dejection:

jayc

Yes body was soft to the touch.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• sdlTBfanUK
      Your Caridina should be fine with that PH, it may be the new substrate and setup causing it to be a bit lower than you expect but if my previous attempt is anything to go by it should creep up very slowly as the tank settles and matures! My prior tank setup started at PH5.5 and all was well, and the current setup is PH5 though the next colour change is PH6 so it could be anywhere between those figures???  Hope the berried female is still doing well, or has she had her babies yet? Babies will be microscopic and hide to start with. Simon
    • Steensj2004
      My PH seems to stay so low anymore. I float around 6-6.2 at all times now. That blows my mind. Not sure why, driftwood maybe?
    • Grubs
      The photo is not a DAS.  The only place I know that breeds DAS commercially is Aquagreen  for half that price.  https://www.aquagreen.com.au/catalog.html I do keep them and have bred them in the past but I don't have any excess at the moment.  I'm going to try and breed them again this summer.  They have marine larvae so are not easy but on the flip-side they live for 5 years or more and are hardy. The photo at that site looks to be a Paratya  which will also eat filamentous algae but not as voraciously as DAS.  My Paratya came in the mail from https://www.livefish.com.au/tropicals/shrimp-and-crays.html You can get them in local rivers but I find the ones from livefish do better in warmer tanks (Livefish are in QLD) - these breed in fresh water in your tank (easily).  
    • Crabclaw
      Oh no it’s magnetic... could be a problem with my magnet cleaner. Although, depending on the attraction I could just use the mag cleaner for the top 3/4 of the tank and get a scraper or something for the bottom.
    • Crabclaw
      Ooh I just found a sand that looks almost perfect, it even comes in the right package size for my tank. https://www.aquaticsupplies.com.au/products/pisces-iron-sand It’s another Pisces & Oliver Knott creation; AquaIron. Says it doesn’t alter the KH/GH/pH/TDS etc. Only problem is it says it should not be added to established tanks due to... cloudiness?? What do u think about this one?  Thanks again for your guys’ help!