Sign in to follow this  
jayc

Dead shrimp - Failed moult? opinions pls

jayc

This afternoon, found my 1st gen CRS ... dead. :sorrow:

Mother to 20+ offspring. May she rest in peace.

I also noticed this ...

post-1355-139909865765_thumb.jpg

post-1355-13990986577_thumb.jpg

Notice the deformed head area.

Legs also look funny.

What's not so evident in the photos is that the "skin" - the red part, on the head ... is loose!

As in it's peeling. No it's not the shell, which is clear/off white. You see a tiny spec of it in the 2nd pic, top right.

I think it's a failed moult. (I hope)

Cause there is a moulted shell nearby.

However, I'm open to opinions. Why does it look so deformed?

post-3460-139909863834_thumb.jpg

post-3460-139909863838_thumb.jpg

BlueBolts

+1 on a failed moult....is her body soft to touch ?

Squiggle

+2, looks like a failed moult to me too, doh! :dejection:

jayc

Yes body was soft to the touch.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Subtlefly
      All good!  Test kit is in the mail and the tank hasnt even been built yet so just trying to plan it all out ahead of time.  I bought the zero water filter and 2 extra cartridges and only plan to use it in emergencies ( unless the tank water tests really poorly) so it should last for a while.  Thanks again for your help sub
    • sdlTBfanUK
      With that filter you get the equivalent of RO water so it will be TDS 000, GH 0, KH 0, therefore you will need to add minerals to the water using GH/KH+ for the shrimps. The products will be premixed to offer the ideal balance of these 3 parameters so you only need to use the TDS meter to mix/measure the water to the level you want, so it will be really easy. I recommend getting a GH and a KH testing kit though so you can test the tank maybe once a month etc as there may be other things in the tank altering them slowly over time! It is still a good idea to know what theparameters of the source water(s) are as well? This water filter will go a long time at TDS 000, then it will creep up but by the time it gets to TDS 006 it will go up almost every litre so you need to watch for that. Mine does about 80 litres at 000, then 10 litres at 001, then 5 litres at 002, then about every litre it goes up! They say to change the filter at 006! If your tank of rainwater (or even tap water) starts off with a low TDS of coarse the filter could last A LOT longer! Simon
    • Subtlefly
      Ok thanks all, sdlTBfanUK I ended up buying the zero water 23 cup filter with the free TDS meter.  I will test my watertank water and hopefully be using this (at the moment we only really use this on the garden), but now I have an emergency source of water for the aquarium in case we have an extended dry period.  I got a couple of extra filters so this should do fine for me in an emergency.  Maybe when we renovate the kitchen at some time in the future I will look into a legit RO system. Thanks for all of your help team! sub
    • jayc
      The Brita filters "reduce" but doesn't completely remove chlorine, and other minerals.  Its okay for drinking but still lacking for aquariums.  multi stage cartridge undersink filters are also designed for human consumption, and one of the stages is to add alkalinity back into the water, since drinking water below pH 7.0 will be bad for your teeth. You want to look for an RO filter that gives you the option of turning on/off this alkalinity stage if you want a system that is both for an aquarium and for human consumption. Check out Filters System Australia https://www.filtersystemsaustralia.com.au/reverse-osmosis-water-filter/aquarium-systems.html. Ring them and talk to them if you can't find exactly what you want. They are very helpful.
    • andrew.huang083
      Hey guys, ive being think about this for a while, but BICON makes it seem so difficult and confusing to import freshwater plants from other countries into Australia. Has anyone done this before and know all the nooks and crannies? Im also not too sure about import permit costs, and the inspections and how they work. Could anyone show me a simple step by step guide to importing aquatic plants? thanks