Hello everyone

Carnij

Hi everyone, l’m an avid shrimp lover just like everyone else here.

I thought I’d share with you a domestic debate we have going on at our house at the moment, which l believe only people with the same interests could understand…

My hobby started off as a 5 footer which housed only plants and Ottos. Upon purchasing a few shrimps, my obsession for shrimps grew, as did my tank. As they multiplied,

I added a segmented tank on top of the 5 footer to accommodate the graded shrimps.

My wife says I should relocate my hobby elsewhere, like the garage, out of sight, out of mind.

I have attached a few photos of my setup and the question is… am I just blinded by my creation or is it truly an eye sore?

I welcome your suggestions on how l could convince her that my shrimp setup is worthy of staying indoors like her useless Birman cat.

post-3789-139909863363_thumb.jpg

post-3789-139909863367_thumb.jpg

post-3789-139909863371_thumb.jpg

I think the segmented tank is a brilliant idea. Uses the same floorspace. The discussion I would have is you now have six tanks but only using five feet of the room!!

Welcome to the forum, and no, you are not the only one obsessed by these beautiful critters!!

They are addictive and the other half will come to love them too!! Cat doesn't look fussed either way! :)

Welcome to the forum, definitely the best place to be to nurture the addiction. Your setup looks stunning, great use of limited space, the scape in the main tank is spectacular, very well done! Hope you have as much fun here as we do. :victorious:

002-funny-animal-gifs-dog-vs-water-sprinkle_zps65a1cd7a.gif

Hi and welcome!

I can understand where she is coming from, i do like my tanks in the house to look sleek and professional. The result is all my extra tanks are hidden away either in the study or under the house.

That being said i do like your setup, what i would be saying to your wife is 'i will relocate the tanks if i can have a rack to put them on' (which of course, means even more tanks ;) ) I think thats the justification i used on my boyfriend to get my rack actually...

Anywho, thanks for the pics, would love some closer up ones, and ask plenty of questions.

P.S. the cat is cute!

That's such a clever use of space.

I'd like to see how the plumbing works, as I might do the same if not too difficult.

More pics if possible please?

I think the segmented tank is a brilliant idea. Uses the same floorspace. The discussion I would have is you now have six tanks but only using five feet of the room!!

Welcome to the forum' date=' and no, you are not the only one obsessed by these beautiful critters!!

They are addictive and the other half will come to love them too!! Cat doesn't look fussed either way! :)[/quote']

Thank's Newbreed, you do have a good point, I will bring the floorplan discussion to the missus, however, I don’t think it would stand a chance as space isn’t the issue, she’s more concerned about the look of the system.

Welcome to the forum' date=' definitely the best place to be to nurture the addiction. Your setup looks stunning, great use of limited space, the scape in the main tank is spectacular, very well done! Hope you have as much fun here as we do. :victorious:

002-funny-animal-gifs-dog-vs-water-sprinkle_zps65a1cd7a.gif

Thank you for the kind words, the scaping has been neglected lately, as I only have time for my shrimps now. I’m glad you like it though, I will get round to rescaping the 5 footer one of these days.

Hi and welcome!

I can understand where she is coming from' date=' i do like my tanks in the house to look sleek and professional. The result is all my extra tanks are hidden away either in the study or under the house.

That being said i do like your setup, what i would be saying to your wife is 'i will relocate the tanks if i can have a rack to put them on' (which of course, means even more tanks ;) ) I think thats the justification i used on my boyfriend to get my rack actually...

Anywho, thanks for the pics, would love some closer up ones, and ask plenty of questions.

P.S. the cat is cute![/quote']

Thank you for welcoming me into this great forum, so much information to take on board.

I think moving the hobby into the garage might not be such a bad idea after all as I can have as many tanks as I want and we all know that MT syndrome will only get worse.

Don’t let her cute looks deceive you, she will scratch and destroy the majority of the funiture in the house, if her nails are not clipped or maintained, mind you she only aims for the big ticket items.

That's such a clever use of space.

I'd like to see how the plumbing works' date=' as I might do the same if not too difficult.

More pics if possible please?[/quote']

Thank you for the kind words, my setup is similar to BossAquaria’s rack design.

The 5 foot tank was previously a saltwater marine tank with a trickle filter underneath, which I find works extremely well.

I had intentions of designing a rack system before the segment tank was installed, I figured this design would be more suited for me as it only requires 1 heater and 1 filtration system which reduces my electric bill and as Newbreed suggested uses less floor space as well.

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab351/Carnij1/Segment-tank-plumbing.jpg

Hey mate, welcome to SKF. A rack can be useful but once in the garage you realise you have lots of extra room, so another rack wouldn't hurt, or another......