uv light operatonal hours - can we reduce running times to 10 mins per hr?

shrimphive

I'm about to buy a inline UV filter and wanting to know if running the unit for say 10 mins per hour will still be effective?

I can say with any proof to back it up but I would think not, the whole point of running it the whole time is to sterilize 100% of the water, if you only have it running 15%-20% of the time then 80%-85% of what you are trying to remove will be put back in the tank. So while you are removing any nasty's some of the time, they are still multiplying for most of the time. It would be one step forward & four steps backward IMO. :encouragement:

I am unsure of this but, if you are looking to save on power use, I wonder whether it would be more beneficial to run it for a 24 period one day a week?? That way the majority of your water volume would have contact with it.

Not necessarily promoting this way but putting it out there as a potential alternative!

I agree with Newbreed, i would be looking to run it for a period long enough to 'treat' your whole tank, but less often. Ie, instead of 10mins 24 times a day (4hr total) just run it for a 4 hour block.

Disclaimer: I havent had experience doing this, but it makes sense to me :)

Shrimphive,

Is there a reason to run your UV in that manner?

You don't have to run the UV 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Especially if it's just for preventive purposes.

But you should run it long enough to treat the tank volume a few times over. Say your tank is 100L, and your pump is rated for 500L per hour. That means the tank water is pushed through the UV approximately 5 times per hour. You could leave the UV on for 3 hours and then turn it off to treat 15 times your tank's volume. That is just an example. Pumps almost never push the rated amount due to filter media restrictions.

You don't have to leave UV on all the time.

However, if you have green water (free floating algae in the water), then leave the UV on until the tank clears, which could take a few days.

So I guess it depends on the application and what you are trying to use the UV for.

I would also suggest, if not always running, make sure you run it when you put in new livestock. Just in case not ideal bacteria come in with them.

Thanks for this question, it raises interesting ideas.

Thanks for this question' date=' it raises interesting ideas.[/quote']

+1 It certainly does. :encouragement:

Im about to add a 9 watt unit on a 150 litre tank and was goig to leave it running 24/7

do they suck much power?

Not really dude, I keep my 54watt on 24/7 & it only uses about 0.2amps so a 9watt would only used about 0.05amps, stuff all. :victorious:

Awesome!

Also im adding a Ocean free hydra filter which works on positive and negative charges to break down ammonia nitrite and nitrate anyone heard of these?

That sounds similar to the thing BB is trialling at the moment

i use to run mine for 12 hours when the lights go out as I had it on a timer, but I didnt see much difference so after 6 months or so, I never used it again.