HELP !!! Bug spray & shrimp

lilly58

My daughter just sprayed bug spay around & I'm sure some has gotten into my shrimp tanks.

The shrimp are swimming around like crazy & now a few have died.

I have done a 50% water change with RO water what else can I do.

I don't want them all to die.

You need to cover the air pumps with towels so they don't pump any more spray in the tanks, also you need to get some carbon or Purigen/Macropore into the filters to absorb the chemicals out of the water. Cover the tanks as well so no more spray settles in the tank, open as many windows as possible to air out the house & put a fan near the tank. I hope everything gets better fast, got my fingers crossed. :dejection:

First thing in this situation is turn of your air pump. Keep the surface of the water flat so no gas can exchange. Open all windows so the fumes can escape. Once you think the fumes has escape then turn on your air pump. Maximum period for air pump to be off would be around 24 hours. This is just my opinion but I'm sure there's other way of saving your shrimps.

Thanks Guys, I have done as you suggested but...

5 dead Blue Velvets, 1 berried female

Had about 20 sunkist only half are moving

Can only see 2 DRN out of about 10

2 dead Riffle shrimp

God knows how many Cherries.

I could just cry.

Yes you could say that.... Really frustrated that the blue velvets seemed to be hit the hardest & my one & only berried female. Didn't even get a chance to take a pic of her.

The rest are looking a bit off as well. Not much I can do about it...

It was a very Big spider...

So sorry to read this, hopefully the advice given has help reduce the impact of it!! Fingers crossed!

this would be my worst nightmare alongside co2 regulator malfunction, i suggest you get rid of all bug spray in your house like I have

there are no insect that can survive a rolled up piece of newspaper whacked in its face lol!

@neosin, She screamed so loud you would have thought that would be enough to kill the spider but they must be deaf.

I had 2 tanks on the breakfast bar, so far away from where she sprayed that I didn't think they would have a problem. Yellows with lid on all OK. Choc with lid off all dead (about 30).

I never realised how lethal Baygon is. All sprays have now been binned even the air fresheners.

sorry to hear about your shrimps, its a good remainder to all just how sensitive those little shrimps are...I will take this advice and remove all sprays from the house.