TWINSTAR Shrimp

BlueBolts

Just received the new TWINSTAR shrimp...a new product that acts like a UV...information of the mechanics seems difficult to obtain, and appears to be a guarded secret. I'm an absolute sucker for new electronic gadgets, blinking lights etc....so despite receiving good advise to avoid it, I decided to purchase one...

null_zps95113e81.jpg

Anyone with info/experience, please add to this thread. I will attempt to journal my findings, once I install this tonight... You tube has a vid on the gimmick, I mean gadget :-(

Looks interesting BB, where did you purchase it from and how much did it cost, send PM if you don't want to post it here...

Very interested to see your experiences with this. The info I found (brochures, ect.) were very vague and poorly translated, and gave me the impression things were a bit dodgy. Statements along the lines of 'so effective it doesn't need to run 24hrs like a UV' make me very suspicious. I would like to know what mechanism they are using to sterilise the water.

Holy s***, I just realised what it could be. They mention that the device uses a weak electrical current and the video shows lots of bubbles coming from the device. My guess is that it creates ozone. O3. Ozone is the only thing that rapidly sterilises everything without super harmful side effects. Been used in aquaculture for years. Likewise a system for using ozone in saltwater is really difficult, hence the reason why Twinstar might only be available for freshwater.

If that is the case, you should be careful BB. Ozone can be pretty harmful as it is an oxidiser, however it should break down underwater quickly as it is super reactive. The half life of ozone is something close to a second. Since twinstars brochure says they only use a weak electrical current there probably wont be massive amounts of ozone produced. Another thing to watch out for is that ozone can reduce the bioavailability of iodine i.e. It prevents iodine from being used by living things. Iodine is essential for brain health and neurosystem function in humans, but I admit I don't know how important iodine is for the healthy functioning of shrimp.

Furthermore ozone kills algae cells by lysing them, i.e. Damaging their cell wall and causing them to break open. The brochure mentions that the microbubbles break down free floating algae and spores.

Ozone breaks down chemicals too as it oxidises them. For example ammonia can be rapidly oxidised using ozone into ammonium nitrate, has been done in aquaculture, likewise nitrite goes rapidly to nitrate.

The question then becomes, well how can we prove my suspicions?

Well as I stated before ozone can breakdown chemicals in the water. We know that TDS is a measure of how much chemicals are dissolved in water. Therefore we can see if it is ozone by measuring TDS as ozone will reduce TDS by breaking down and removing some of the chemicals.

BB would you mind taking some measures of TDS to confirm my suspicions? Perhaps before and after running the device, and over the long term too. TDS should either decrease, or at the very least stay the same over a long period of time depending on how much ozone is produced.

We know that TDS is a measure of how much chemicals are dissolved in water. Therefore we can see if it is ozone by measuring TDS as ozone will reduce TDS by breaking down and removing some of the chemicals.

BB would you mind taking some measures of TDS to confirm my suspicions? Perhaps before and after running the device' date=' and over the long term too. TDS should either decrease, or at the very least stay the same over a long period of time depending on how much ozone is produced.[/quote']

The tank is cycling, and has no inhabitants, except plants......and Better still, it has a Fluval G3, so I can monitor/graph the TDS fluctuations when it's on/off etc..... wooohoooo, see I love technology.

DocFish suspects that its ...

I am convinced it is most probably electrolysis to create hypochlorous acid (like in chlorine bleach) - it requires a small amount if chlorides (from salt additives) in order to produce it, but if you use any water conditioners for removing chlorine from your tapwater, then it wont work... It just gets reduced again....

Too much of it will kill your filter and inhabitants - Hence the note I saw saying not to add any extra sodium chloride salts.... If your chloride levels are high, then it could be a problem unless they have a built in conductivity meter and make a heap of assumptions.

Personally, I would not use it unless you want to sterilise a tank, or if you have an existing problem - but the chlorine will destroy any medications.... Good side it will remove tannins or other brown/red colouring from the water, making it clearer.

Fishmosy, received an email form MrDocFish, and he noted that "You cant get ozone from water and electrolysis - you normally get O2 and H2 gas - very explosive. It is a very small version of the chlorinators used on swimming pools"

Just clutching on assumptions due to lack of info, so great of we can keep throwing ideas etc...

If it is a chlorinator (or any other form on electrolysis unit) then calcium (got lots in a shrimp tank) clogs up the anode and the plate will fail to operate.... Unless you regularly bath the plate in acid to clean it....

I feel that this unit poses more possible problems than what it is worth... For what it promises to do, there would be better and safer options.

Very interested to see how this works for you dude, I have to say that I'm a bit apprehensive but, like you, I love my gadgets! :encouragement:

Thanks Mr_Docfish. Squiggles, besides loving gadgets, I'm also stubborn as a mule, and need to experience good/bad......just the way I learn ! LOL

Ive hooked up the unit, but will do a complete water test this afternoon, before turning the unit on, and will determine whether any WP changes etc....

Will test for PH, TDS, GH.....anything else ?

Fishmosy' date=' received an email form MrDocFish, and he noted that "You cant get ozone from water and electrolysis - you normally get O2 and H2 gas - very explosive. It is a very small version of the chlorinators used on swimming pools"

Just clutching on assumptions due to lack of info, so great of we can keep throwing ideas etc...[/quote']

Electroloysis of water does produce some ozone as well as hydrogen and oxygen. However I suspected that the ozone would be produced in the main box and then pumped to the plate as running an electrical spark through air produces ozone.

Is the cord that runs from the main box to the plate an electrical cable or airline or both?

If its a power cord, I think DocFish would be right. Some sort of electrolysis.

Yeah, it just a power cord to the unit..... The instructions is in Korean....anyone here can translate ? I'll scan and post it up. :-)

Tanks been cycling since the 1st September (7-8 weeks), shrimpless/fishless cycle, BUT added KNO3 on the 1st week to assist with the cycling. 10% WC each week, using RO/Salty Shrimp.

WP

PH - 7.3

Ec - 246

TDS - 165 @ 0.67 Convertion

KH - 2

GH - 4

Temp 26.5

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 0

Phosphate - 0

Just powered up the Twinstar Shrimp..

th_null_zps9904d085.jpg

From this

th_null_zps833351f3.jpg

To this

th_null_zps234accb6.jpg

ONLY lasted 15 seconds.......and it stopped creating the mist...unsure whether there's a electronic timer/sensor that activates it periodically ?

Will redo the WP test in 48 hours....

I have seen the videos for these on youtube, lots of claim but for the life of me it makes no sense as to how and why it works and as you say very little tec info to support. i will be following this thread with interest.

Got the English Manual ! Yeah .... Send an email to the company, and they responded immediately....sent another with more specific questions about the "salt issue"

005f1baa811398e4ee8bfd583d12e9a6.jpgaa328d5963be18f40ebf9637091c220f.jpg

+24 hours, and the tank is absolutely crystal clear.... There's no shrimps in the tank ATM, and will add some "test shrimps" soon :-(

Will keeps updates on two area of the tank, one showing brown (diatom) algae

null_zpsf874cff1.jpg

and the other, this green algae, which in encouraging in the tank

null_zps811d2caa.jpg

I've posted on the other forum about the other twinstars. Shrimp is new, but i still suspect the same gig. I think it works by ionization rather than by electrolysis, i suspect it probably forms Hydroxide Radicals or something similar like double depronated water, which really likes to react with everything. I doubt that it is Electrolysing water, as the Hydrogen doesn't sound that safe, but it does mention not for saltwater use, perhaps they are hinting that it produces chlorine gas.

Unless of course the wire going into the water is infact a tube and not a wire?

Thanks...I've just added 2 x Test Shrimps (Wild Type Cherry) to the tank. They volunteered, otherwise it would have been via a ballot. Lol... In the name of science.... :-)

I saw these in HK the other day, one particular shop had them in every tank and the tanks looked crystal clear.

The diffuser is a consumable, and replacement between 9-14 months... Presume the unit itself will last as long as most electronic items last these days...not long :-(

Both cherry shrimps looking great this morning....will add a CBS today...

Saw these in action in one of the Singaporean aquarium shops, Green Chapter.

They aren't cheap units. It's priced at a point that is still a bit out of reach for most. Especially when no one knows if it works.