A new Gobie

northboy

Hi All

Here is a couple of not so good photos on a Goby we found last night near Port Douglas, it is not a new species, but it is one we don't find in Pairs often so they are living in one of my Cherry shrimp tanks (food laid on), They should be breedable and this pair are 1.5 and 2cm long, so good for Nanos

BumblebeeandMad043640x360_zps15b4033c.jpg

BumblebeeandMad031509x640_zpsa1afec2c.jpg

BumblebeeandMad032640x3602_zpsce40d1a8.jpg

They do have a face only a mother could love, but they are cute

Bob

Wow, very cool. Not too familiar with gobies, and would love updates ! Thanks for the post :applause:

Oh they are so cute. I love gobies. Never seen them before. If you do breed them up I'd def be interested in some :)

Very very cute dude, definitely a very cool find, well done Bob! Make sure you keep us updated on their progress. :encouragement:

That's a gorgeous fish! Feed them well so you get a big spawn for us ;)

Got a scientific name for them?

Absolutely love Gobies, have kept a few species previously, lots of character and most are pretty easy to feed provided you have live foods. Most I've found will adapt relatively quickly if wild caught and often taken to being fed directly, brilliant fish, fun and easy to keep. Breeding we never tried, too many other tank mates and didn't provide the exact conditions for raising of any fry.

Yea I like my Gobies to Big D and we have so many up here about 35 species of the top of my head with new ones being added regularly. Some are dam beautiful and some are terrors in a tank. Then there is the colour odd balls, like Gold Sleepy Cod

With the interest in these lovelies, I will offer them here first then, when they breed

As for a name, working on it.

Bob

It's gotta be a freckled goby dude! :encouragement: Or you could have a competition to name them, I'll chuck in some stuff for prizes :victorious:

Oh! They are SO cute! How big do they grow?

I hope they will breed for you soon, Bob! :encouragement:

Squig if we go down that path I will put up half a dozen as one of the prizes?

Garney they max out at 3cm, but mostly 2.5cm, the female is always the bigger of the two. They have a small mouth and that makes them even better because they can not eat so many things.

I will work on some better photos as they are winners these guys.

Bob

OH, buy the way as always, they come from Lizard country, dam things.

They are sweet looking gobies, they remind me a bit of bullrouts without the evil painful spines. I am guessing that these guys eat much smaller aquatic inverts with their little mouths. Have yours shown any interest in prepared foods? Or are they quite happy snacking on cherry shrimp? I was pleasantly surprised that my desert gobies go nuts for Wardley Sinking Shrimp pellets, as well as a native fish crumble. I also saw one of the females eat a small rams horn snail, not too sure if it was accidental or on purpose yet but if they are happy to snack on snails I can keep them well supplied.

I hope your gobies do breed for you and that the young are easy to raise.

I would like to nominate 'speckled goby' or 'zebra goby', (they do look similar to Zeb shrimp IMO)

edit: speckled zebra goby?

Squig if we go down that path I will put up half a dozen as one of the prizes?

Garney they max out at 3cm' date=' but mostly 2.5cm, the female is always the bigger of the two. They have a small mouth and that makes them even better because they can not eat so many things.

I will work on some better photos as they are winners these guys.

Bob

OH, buy the way as always, they come from Lizard country, dam things.[/quote']

Hahaha, Lizard means something else down here, i'm guessing you mean the living log rather than the flatty? Freshies not salties?

Dont mind the freshies, i'd hop in the water with them if i had a big stick, but salties, bugger that.

As for names, Marbled Clown Goby please ;)

Saltys Mr C, as soon as I get some more I will send them to Ben for a comp, sounds like a good idea

Bob