Chiller

Kimbo

Hey Guys,

Im looking to get a chiller for my standard 2 foot tank pretty soon before spring/summer hits here in Perth!

I was wondering what size would people recommend and anyone know where to get one for a reasonably cheap price?

Cheer

Kimbo

Hey Guys' date='

Im looking to get a chiller for my standard 2 foot tank pretty soon before spring/summer hits here in Perth!

I was wondering what size would people recommend and anyone know where to get one for a reasonably cheap price?

Cheer

Kimbo[/quote']

Sorry if im hi-jacking but i wanna get one for the same sized tank and im not 100% what is best.. Im in Sydney tho.. Please help us. Cheers

I'm using a resun CL-150 for my 120 lt.....works without a hitch, from ebay. I'm sure they'll be several other online/LFS having some sales over the next few weeks.....there's several brands to choose from etc...Kimbo, Seaview has a brand (can't recall) that they can convert and make the chiller to a heater/chiller without too much trouble...maybe worth looking, so that it can also replace the heater in the tank....

I'd also check your current filters if they are strong enough to pump through any chiller you're getting. Otherwise you'd need to get another pump or filter, as all chillers don't have internal pumps.

I'd also check your current filters if they are strong enough to pump through any chiller you're getting. Otherwise you'd need to get another pump or filter' date=' as all chillers don't have internal pumps.[/quote']

Mmm thx for the heads up. I guess its time to hit the books and do some reading. :)

I can't give any direct advise on what chiller to get as I don't have any small tanks. Just keep in mind when deciding, don't base your decision on price alone, if you can help it. Also don't get a unit that just barely covers what you need. If you do this a: The chiller will have to work much harder and be on for longer periods of time. b: If an extreme temp or long periods of hotter weather appears, you may find that it just can't keep up.

Also take note of what the wattage is of the actual unit. Cheaper brands are generally more expensive to run long term. So whatever you save in purchase costs are quickly (generally going unnoticed) consumed up by electricity costs. As an example, I have both Hailea and Teco chillers. The Teco was many times the purchase price of the Hailea but cheaper to run. Aside from the fact that the Teco's also heat and have UV, the stand alone 'chill' is much more efficient in the Teco. It is also quieter. I do have to admit that the Hailea is also a great unit and has run faultlessly albeit not the most accurate thermostat. I hope that helps you guys in making a decision.

That's great advise there Jamie....I'll always buy the best I can afford., and the running cost is a second consideration. But with $ increase of electricity etc....the running cat is such a major consideration !

Jamie' date=' have had any experience with JBJ mini-arctica? Teco is just out of my reach in price.[/quote']

Hey Sprae,

No mate, never had one. I did the ol' google for the spec's and honestly didn't come up with too much detail. Maybe something to do with the different brand names it seems to be sold under. No matter what you decide on, the most important is that it is easily strong enough to handle your size tank. Running costs/noise maybe a luxury not in your consideration, but if it's underpowered, just give me your money and I'll blow out my window (in your direction) every now and then (it'll be just as good). The JBJ mini states it can do up to 40g (about 150ltrs). That is it's maximum. I can't find a reference chart for the pull down v's temp/litres. But it'd be safe to halve that maximum if you need a 8-10deg pull down on a hot day. Keep in mind you guys with smaller tanks are more suseptible to temp fluctuations. Just as a side note (as I can only find one 'Aussie' seller...(no comment)), if buying from O/S, make sure it is 50hz.

J.

Thanks guys for the info! Bluebolts I might head in there on saturday see what they can do for me, Im getting my replacement tank that day aswell! Hopefully if things pan out well this week will have the money sorted to get chiller (and maybe some new shrimp!) in the next week or so. The filter I have currently was running a chiller before (which I foolishly sold as I thought I wouldnt keep crs again, just cherries :/) so shouldnt be a problem.

Cheers

Kimbo

I think the TECO chillers are the ones that can be coverted for heating as well, plus the new models have a in-built UV ! Bonus !

I'm in search for a 4 in 1, External filter/UV/Chiller&Heater for nano's........none exist ? ....Grrrrr

I think the TECO chillers are the ones that can be coverted for heating as well' date=' plus the new models have a in-built UV ! Bonus !

I'm in search for a 4 in 1, External filter/UV/Chiller&Heater for nano's........none exist ? ....Grrrrr[/quote']

Tecos are good but almost $800, need a strong flow that's not effective for a nano tank, and they need a tap convert to 12mm pipes. If Teco release a nano chiller 4 in 1, I'm willing to spend up to $500 :P

Hi,

I'm about to finally pull the trigger on a chiller too for my 2ft tank (about 60-70 ltrs). Trying to decide between the JBJ Mini-Arctica Chiller w/ Digital Controller 1/15HP for $275 or the Hailea HC-150A 1/10hp Chiller Marine Aquarium to 400L for $329.

The Hailea is probably the better one, but it is quite a bit larger and a tad more expensive. Size is an issue, so if I can get away with the smaller unit, for less $, and it can do the job fine, then that would be great.. I can't decide between them.. does anyone know of any reason NOT to get the mini chiller?

I've just bought the JBJ Mini-Arctica after a long time of looking. HexaD has been using it over the past year and has good thing to say about it.

Chiller arrived yesterday, and its now set up on my 2ft. Working as advertised so far :) Just need a few hots days to give it a good test.

Of note is that the box is came in is for the version with analog temp controller, but the unit actually has a digital controller installed. Also, the chiller is not branded JBJ, though as far as I can tell it is exactly the same as the JBJ branded version. All of this is mentioned on the 'livebearer' website where I bought it from.

The chiller was very easy to set up with a eheim 2213, and I have set the temp to 23.5. The cooling function seems to kick in when the actual temp reaches a bit above the set temp..not sure exactly how much.. I'm guessing 1 degree. All-in-all quite happy with the chiller and the price and the shipping speed :)

I'm sure my shrimp are happy too :)

edit: forgot to mention.. when the cooling function kicks in, you can definitely hear it.. I'm not sure how noisy it is compared to other chillers..but I don't mind it as it is in the laundry away from the main living area.

Thanks for that watfish. I've got the chiller too but haven't set it up yet. Going to have the same arrangement with 2213. Did the Eheim taps and tubes fit?

Noisy? I hope that's not the case as mine will be in the living room.

Hi Sprae,

you only connect to the chiller via the tubes.. the taps stay as they are.

Basically, you take the output tube from the 2213, cut it somewhere between the taps and the hard tubing on your tank, and plug the two cut ends into the two chiller connections. Obviously the cut tubing from the filter connects to the 'in' chiller connection, and other cut end connects to the 'out' connection, so that the chiller is plumbed in-line. Its really very simple :) Once it's all connected, run it for a bit to see that the water is flowing properly before plugging the chiller in.

edit: actually I'm not really sure whether the chiller should be plumbed after the filter or before the filter. I just thought it made more sense to have cleaned water flowing through it, rather than water that may contain debris.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

How did you go with the Jbj chiller? I'm in the market for one for a 3ft tank. I can't afford much, so I was thinking either to purchase a Jbj or a redsun on eBay for $325 plus delivery

hey watfish ..what is the name or link of the site you got the jbj chiller from.. $275 is really cheap for agreat chiller.. also how much was postage..?

SpraeJust wondering how you went with the noise level on the chiller?I got myself a resun CL150 heater chiller for the living room tank at home .... 'someone' said it was not acceptable!!!! To loud!

Thanks for that watfish. I've got the chiller too but haven't set it up yet. Going to have the same arrangement with 2213. Did the Eheim taps and tubes fit?Noisy? I hope that's not the case as mine will be in the living room.

Sprae

Just wondering how you went with the noise level on the chiller?

I got myself a resun CL150 heater chiller for the living room tank at home .... 'someone' said it was not acceptable!!!! To loud!

Hey mate

The JBJ Mini-Arctica has low level noise but I reckon would be similar to a regular fridge. If the CL150 sound like a fridge then it would the same