Sign in to follow this  
beginner

Can see shrimplets

beginner

Hi

last week my berried female dropped her load and till this day I have not seen any shrimplets.

are they that tiny that they can not be seen with naked eye?

do they hide around in dark places?

or have they just not survived?:sour:

please advise.

thanks

Squiggle

How heavily is the tank planted? You should be able to see them straight away with the naked eye but if you have heaps of plants then they will be harder to see. They will be hanging off the plants, mosses & leaves, makes them harder to see. :victorious:

CNgo2006

Turn off all the lights, wait around half hr then go to tank with torch, you may be able to see them then when they come out to graze.

BlueBolts

+1 with the torch when the lights are off..... The reflection off their eye will give them away too :-)

beginner

Hi Squiggle this is my tank - and when switched off lights and came back did see 4 babies.post-1567-139909855494_thumb.jpg

post-2944-139909854104_thumb.jpg

beginner

thanks CNgo took your advice and saw the babies - this is now nightly routine - wife thinks I am crazy.

beginner

yep BB this is what I am now doing - if goes on for much longer will need glasses.

blackcat

Its so exciting shrimplett :-) watching

jayc

One of the more essential pieces of equipment for shrimp watching is a good hand held magnifying glasses.

It's amazing what you can see with them.

DeagonTheo

Agree with the magnifying glass. While we're on the subject, has anybody noticed wether they drop them all at once or over a day or two. I have a couple of female CRS ready to drop, but one seems to have lost half her eggs since yesterday, I don't know wether they've hatched or died.

I'll try that torch trick.

Squiggle

+1 to the magnifying glass & a good strong torch. :encouragement:

@DeagonTheo, I've had both happen, sometimes they drop them all in a matter of hours & in other cases they have held on to a few for a day or two. One example of where this is quite common is when you cross Pandas with Bluebolts to get Shadow Pandas, the normal TB's will drop at the normal time & the mamma will tend hang on to the Shadows for up to a couple of days longer. Don't ask me why, it's just been observed by a large number of people on both this forum & others. :victorious:

Squiggle
Hi Squiggle this is my tank - and when switched off lights and came back did see 4 babies.post-1567-139909855494_thumb.jpg

Definitely lots of places for the shrimplets to hide in there, I'm sure there will be heaps more than you can see. Awesome news dude, congrats on your new shrimplets :encouragement:

warren63

Once they are dropped what is the best way to ensure they have the right food available?

Squiggle

You should be right with the biofilm & all the bacteria on all the surfaces but you might want to supplement this with some powdered food, biozyme, aminovita-p, gravitas, spirulina, barley grass & a very good food is bee pollen. Use these once a day for the first couple of weeks & you should be right :encouragement:

DeagonTheo

Yeah I just hope she hasn't booted some of the eggs, I keep seeing one or two little squirts running around so hopefully they're new ones.

I'm thinking of buying one of those headsets they have in Optometrists so I can see better.

jayc

Don't clean the sides and back of your glass so biofilm can grow.

Bee pollen is great, and only costs about $15 at your nearest health food shop. One bottle of that will last for ages.

Squiggle
Yeah I just hope she hasn't booted some of the eggs' date=' I keep seeing one or two little squirts running around so hopefully they're new ones.

I'm thinking of buying one of those headsets they have in Optometrists so I can see better.[/quote']

Hahaha, classic!! You should get one of those old doctors mirrors on the headband too & really get everyone convinced you've lost the plot! :smiley_simmons:

DeagonTheo
Hahaha' date=' classic!! You should get one of those old doctors mirrors on the headband too & really get everyone convinced you've lost the plot! :smiley_simmons:[/quote']

I'm keeping shrimp, I think I've already lost the plot. For a couple of years I was selling Java Moss by the bucket to guys who were keeping shrimp. My wife asked what are shrimp, I said I don't know, little prawns I guess.

One day I bought some Peppermint Bristlenose with some little red things in the bucket, I've been hooked ever since.

DeagonTheo

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Squiggle viewpost-right.png

Hahaha, classic!! You should get one of those old doctors mirrors on the headband too & really get everyone convinced you've lost the plot! smiley_simmons.png

Hey I might look for one of those on Ebay along with some thick glasses.

Here we go, not overkill is it. 20 times magnification.

post-3614-139909854108_thumb.jpg

Squiggle

Hahaha, very cool dude, where do I get a pair, lol :victorious:

DeagonTheo

On Ebay, where else, under $5 including delivery from Hong Kong, maybe we can get a bulk discount for Shrimp watchers.

Squiggle

Hahaha, I'm in! :victorious:

Wraithie

thats awesome haha

DeagonTheo

This is what I really need, my eyeballs are getting strained from looking for shrimplets, I wonder if I can get one on Ebay.

post-3614-139909854154_thumb.jpg

beginner

Make that 2