New to being shrimpless

Ebhan

Hello SKF, I sadly unlike all of you cannot become a shrimp addict and for this i am envious. icon13.png

I am a Tasmanian shrimp onlooker and that is about all i am capable of becoming due to our crazy quarantine laws but alas i still love the idea of being able to keep shrimp and one day once i am back on the mainland I will.

In the time i am simply here to learn as much as possible and to see not only about your scaping but also to learn the do's and don'ts about ferts and co2 as this will most likely be my next avenue a fully planted tank (even with our limited supply of plants.. CURSE YOU QUARANTINE icon8.png) the one good thing however about not being able to have shrimp is that is will not increase my already severe MTS with tanks 6 and 7 on the way and plans for many more.

Hope to learn alot from you guys and from what i have seen you are a bunch of friendly Aussies just doing what you love.

Cheers E.

Hello Ebhan! :)

You're here! That's great to see...and trust me: you won't be shrimpless forever! :victorious:

There is lots to learn here at SKF and people are incredibly friendly and generous.

And we all love photos! So why don't you post some pics of your tanks and fish....

Good to have you on board!

Petra

Welcome to the forum dude, definitely the best place to be to learn about shrimp & most of us know a fair bit about plants too. We love pics so whack some up when you get the chance. Hope you have as much fun here as we do! :encouragement:

funny-animal-gifs16_zpse79f1750.gif

• HOF Member

Hi and welcome to SKF. It certainly sucks with quarantine laws but there are ways and means to getting a few shrimp as our other Tasmanian members may be able to tell you. This forum is full of friendly members willing to share their knowledge with you. Keep posting and the forum will open for you. We love to see pictures of tanks and love seeing nicely scraped tanks so even without shrimp you will be able to fit nicely into this community. Ask lots of questions as we don't believe there are any silly questions here. Hope you enjoy our forum and eventually get to enjoy our little shrimp friends.

Hello and welcome to SKF!

Maybe you could try for some local shrimp. Iv had a quick look through the net and as well as the protected Pygmy Mountain Shrimp you have down there (which in my opinion is quite a cool looking little shrimp), you also mite have a local variant of paratya (galss) shrimp in your waterways. I havnt been able to find any solid info on that so far. I guess the only way for you to know exactly is for you to go down and have a dab. Try a local (clean from pollutants) creek that is slow moving and dab around in the plants along the bank.

post-3809-139909855396_thumb.jpg

post-862-139909854001_thumb.gif

Fish tanks

Here are some of my tanks so far, they aren't where i want them to be but the main thing holding me back at the moment is the fact that any dirt substrates have to be ordered in as non of the LPS supply actual substrate, just varying forms of gravel usually in hideous shades of neon but i am over time achieving looks similar to those that i want but my next two mission for tanks 6 and 7 both 70L are full planted scapes (nice substrate, probably co2 and hopefully see if i can find some glass shrimp or some other shimp to got into them.

:victorious:

so here is my biggest tank, 3ft planted completely with anubius sp. nana, paco, barteri and lanceolata and have been able to custom order more species (still on their way) after quisical looks from the lps when i started asking after them by scientific name and saying i didn't want it on driftwood

post-1567-139909864367_thumb.jpg

My next treasure is my Pineapple fighters outback tank with his little crew of Black bar Endlers, just a little 5Gal with some anubius nana and java moss for the endlers to spawn in (looks like i have three mothers about to drop their first lot of fry within the week) i have room in my other tanks for the fry as well as i don't want to overcrowd such a little tank. I have other lights for this tank but the globe needs swapping as it has a horrible pink hue which makes the red sand GLOW bright orange so until then a desk lamp it is.

post-1567-139909864371_thumb.jpg

I also have a tank for my Breeding pair of angels, no successful spawns yet but each one lasts longer than the last and i can see they are spending more time fanning and caring for the eggs each round and once they get it down pat i will remove the bristle nose family that live in the cave as they make a quick meal of the eggs if the parents drop their guard. also just a couple of Phantom glass catfish to add a bit of excitment.

post-1567-139909864374_thumb.jpg

My last tank is a bit of a mess at the moment, more of a "It can go here till i have room tank" currently with a bunch of tetras some synadontis catfish, my red flame swords some banana lillies reaching maturity and a good place to let my java moss grow to x100000000 it's original size so it takes over all of my tanks but will re scape this tank in the near future, probably after the setup of tanks 6 and 7

[ATTACH]5208[/ATTACH]

so they are my tanks (there is one other which was filled today with true breeding blonde endler (shout out to one of the forums members) but it is still in it's most basic form but photos will come soon.

Thanks again for the warm welcome and one day i will have shrimp:encouragement: and looking into the process involved with trying to get yabbies in Tasmania so far as I'm aware i haven't seen anything saying you cant but knowing my luck they will be

post-3758-139909854034_thumb.jpg

post-3758-139909854039_thumb.jpg

post-3758-139909854044_thumb.jpg

post-3758-139909854047_thumb.jpg

Wow, very nice...... imagined if you could get your hands onto some of the varieties/colours of shrimps...you'll surely get MTS.

Wow' date=' very nice...... imagined if you could get your hands onto some of the varieties/colours of shrimps...you'll surely get MTS.[/quote']

GET MTS??? i'm sure he's already got it! :congratulatory: But don't worry Ebhan...it can only get worse.

Your tanks all look lovely...and I love the idea of an "It-can-go-here-til-I-have-room" tank. I need one of them too!

I'm looking forward to seeing the picture of your blonde endlers that you bought from that really really nice and helpful forum member. :o

I'll get some photos up of them soon Garnelchen just so that

really really nice and helpful forum member.
can see her beautiful fish ;) and i have to admit i do have MTS and it is only getting worse.. can only what will happen when i get my hands on shrimp, luckily i won't have a salary to support to severe a case for a few more years

Is that a real cacti

no just a plastic one, the whole arrangement in the sand is all cemented into a gravel/resin block thats the reason the cork isn't floating

I was going to say I'll bet I know that really nice forum member, nice work to whomever they may be!

My big tank became a 'it can go here till I have space tank' since I finally got space I'm going to tidy it up tonight.

Some nice looking tanks, you are already suffering MTS :)

Oh and I meant to say that a couple of our forum sponsors sell the earth substrate with shipping :) highly recommend them!

Awesome looking tanks dude, can't wait to see them filled with little critters, I'm sure the extremely helpful member will get help from someone helpful who will help them to help you get a helping of happiness, lol :victorious:

I'm sure the extremely helpful member will get help from someone helpful who will help them to help you get a helping of happiness' date=' lol :victorious:[/quote']

Oh Squiggs...you are confusing me again.....just like the other day when you were trying to explain the difference between Fantasy and Science fiction to me :dejection:

Hahaha, it's so simple, fantasy is fantasy & science fiction is science fiction, see simples! :victorious:

haha sure thing squiggle, as slightly confused that i am i'm sure that there are forum members that can cheer me up. on that note my planted tank i want to do with a decent substratee ( which no one in tassie sells) which sponsors have nice substrates as i already picked the lights i want to run with help

Well there goes next weeks pay check :( probably a good the tassie Quarentine is so strictly or else I wouldn't be able to afford rent ;)

Never mind...at least that's money well spent! :congratulatory: