Snails

ineke

• HOF Member

So guys we have this lovely new area to post about snails and no one is talking!!!! I have stopped squishing mine because Bob and Garnie made me feel bad. Now my tanks are getting over run again so I'm back to squishing. But I guess that's not really the type of snail post this thread is for:p:p

I'll admit I squish the tiny ones, my shrimp get sooo excited and fight over them.

I also have some little golden ones from Garnie, a golden apple and a striped apple.

• HOF Member
Bugger' date=' busted![/quote']

there is nowhere safe on this forum Ninja they find us everywhere :mad:

Well Dean did do us a favour by putting in this section, ( By the way Dean, thankyou) and now no one is using it?

And Fishmosey was gunna do a catalogue of Aussie snails for it, and where's Garnie?????

• HOF Member

It's OK Fishmosy you should know by now we like giving people a hard time!!!!:congratulatory:

That dirty 4 letter word that starts with W keeps getting in the way of fun Ineke you know (work)

In my spare time I have been out a lot Ineke, got a few freshwater Morays a couple of night ago Gymnothorax polyuranodon they are beautiful, I think we were looking at a spawning event, will know a bit more soon, got a different Giant Pipefish 20cm long, it went to a scientist.

Had another close encounter of the toothy kind to

Google Croc Pig Mulgrave river, not my shots but good ones from one of my spots.

Bob

Was that the 'rapids' pipefish you were telling me about? Or something new?

Did you use the new traps you were telling me bout to get the morays?

It was a different Pipe Ben and we were walking the Mowbray when we found the Morays, not the first time for them there because it is a well documented spot for them.

Got a Silver Grunter to, (Mesopristes) new pet

I put up a link with the Croc and Pig, its not the one I ran into, that was only 1.5mys

• HOF Member

That croc had a big pig scary stuff! No wonder hubby always lets me walk closer to the water than him!!!!

Ineke that's a bit rough, I always take the danger side no matter who is with me. I am about to head down to where those photos were taken, for a look see.

The Silver is in a pond for now Ben, they are not too aggressive and will live with most things, at the moment it is striped with yellow fins and will change at 12cm to silver. There is one population at Cape Tribulation that stays stripped to adult size or 25cm at least and they look really nice.

Ben, the Matts got a 1.2mt Forktail Catty that is in one of their backyard ponds, makes the Redtail cats look small LOL, we are now planning a trip to catch a 1.5mt+ one, as soon as they get a spare pond big enough. Going to put a 1000lt pond in the back of the ute to bring it home. We have not worked out how to catch it yet?? hook and line? drumline? or jump in and grab it because they will swim around the boat without fear.

Bob

Was that the catfish he showed me the pic of? Its a solid fish.

I'd probably go hook and line but super heavy gear so you can get it in quick and minimise stress. As long as you hook them in the mouth there shouldn't be a problem. Seen a few big fish caught that way survive the move to captivity with no problems.

You could probably slip a rope in down through the mouth (if you're game) and out the gill slit so you can keep it in the water until you get back to the ute.

HA HA Squig not for me, don't know what will be in them holes.

Ben we were going to tether it to tow back to the car, the one he showed you will look like a runt to the big guys LOL

Bob

What's the issue with squishing snails? I can't control the population of rams horns any other way, loaches are amazing but I was told they eat anything with a shell so in shrimp tank it's a nogo.

I will admit a big rams horn got back at me this morning. He actually drew blood in our little altercation