Could i be cooking my shrimp??

Peppy_11

Well as per usual my shrimp aren't doing great :/ Should change my forum name to problem peppy. My tank has been shut down, restarted with lots of pro guidance from the best, new soil etc. and. . . . Still some deaths. All I can think of is that my light may be too toooooo strong for them. I know it is overkill but am not sure if it could be doing damage. My shrimp are always hiding too. 72watt led on a 40cm cube? Thoughts?

What is the water temp?

Why do you need 72W of light in a 40cm cube tank? Are you growing lots of plants?

If the water temp is between 21-25 Deg C, then you should be ok.

If you need that much light to grow plants, then the plants should be providing shade.

If you are seeing death of shrimp, not attributed to old age, then the problem might be something else, not the intensity of light.

You mention you have restarted your tank, can you give more details?

How long ago was it restarted, what's the water parameters, are you adding any fertilisers or other products into the water?

Apologies for all the questions, but we need more info to assist with diagnosis of the problem.

Everything in my tank is spot on. Its been cycled n running for a few months, I have a chiller so temp is no issue, and I have shade, and its not that I need a light that strong, I bought it as it matched the lighting on my cube. Ascetically pleasing I guess. Just figured it would have something to do with lighting if all they do is hide in the back of the tank and drop off one by one.

Stress maybe? I use to have very bright led light on my 4ft. They were always hiding. Change it to much softer led light and they are out and about a lot more now.

Everything in my tank is spot on. Its been cycled n running for a few months' date=' I have a chiller so temp is no issue, and I have shade, and its not that I need a light that strong, I bought it as it matched the lighting on my cube. Ascetically pleasing I guess. Just figured it would have something to do with lighting if all they do is hide in the back of the tank and drop off one by one.[/quote']

Shrimp will hide if they feel in danger or if they feel sick. They wouldn't necessarily hid because it's too bright. But why don't you test it by leaving the lights off for a day? It's not difficult to do this test.

Hi Peppy, post up your tank, what's your substrate, nitrate, and if you wanted to diffuse the lighting, get some frogbitz, and see whether it makes a difference....do you have algae issues with your lights ? How long do you keep them on for ? Are they feeding OK ?

70 watts!

Thats a heaps of LED's are you sure they are actually 70w?

Exactly what light are you using?

People need to keep in mind wattage with LED's is different to T5 and other lights.

Lumens plays a bigger part...

I put 2x twin 1ft T5HO (24wx4.. yup thats 96w... T5HO..) over my tank to boost initial growth, shrimp didn't even flinch when I flicked em on...

I think either:

a. its not 70w and its something else.

or

b. It's 70w of LED' with Lumen output higher than a MH globe... which is doubtful..

Bit more info an some pictures wouldnt help :)

im not sure if im able to post links to non sponsors websites so delete if inappropriate. This is the light I have http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/lights-led/led-high-power-clamp-on-light/72w-led-clamp-on-lamp-light-for-planted-fresh-water-aquariums/prod_2611.html. On a 40cm cube with thick benibachi and they are on approx. 8 hrs per day with a timer. I don't battle too much algae, just usual algae on the glass. im picking up a t5 tonight in the hope that it will help

im not sure if im able to post links to non sponsors websites so delete if inappropriate. This is the light I have http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/lights-led/led-high-power-clamp-on-light/72w-led-clamp-on-lamp-light-for-planted-fresh-water-aquariums/prod_2611.html. On a 40cm cube with thick benibachi and they are on approx. 8 hrs per day with a timer. I don't battle too much algae' date= just usual algae on the glass. im picking up a t5 tonight in the hope that it will help

Try and get the light and high up as you can.

Do you have to wear sunscreen if you are in the same room as the tank?

That thing would be crazy bright!

I would suggest that its bright, and they simply don't like it.

Sit under that for even 20 minutes and I reckon you would be hating life.

Maybe add more hides for them closer to the front, and frogbit or something, lots and lots of it to give some shade.

Yer she pretty bright. Think itd be more suited to a 2foot cube. I am getting a single tube aqua one T5 today as I cannot possibly add any more shade, and just selling the LED's. Hope my shrimp become happier and more active :)