Noob Sponge Filter question...

Dostalgia

Hi all,

Never ever heard or seen sponge filter in action, until I started researching on shrimp keeping... So i have really no idea how this work, please excuse some noob question i am about to ask.

First question, besides an air pump (what type and how big?) and sponge (again what type and how big a sponge filter?) is there anything else i am missing here?

I have tried youtube to see some videos, the sponge filter seems to create alot of surface agitation, is this good or bad for shrimp keeping?

Since the sponge filter is air driven, in winter, will this cause temperature fluctuations in a nano tank?

I have an eden 501, i kind of like how it works and the flow doesn't seem too strong for shrimps.

So for my second 45m tank, would i be better off with another eden (with sponge protecting the inlet) or should i invest in a sponge filter? I quite tempted to get an eden511 (instead of a 501) with the internal heater option (anyone know where i can a set in Au or Melbourne, please let me know me! :X)

Many thanks in advance!

EDITED TO ADD: Tank size is 45cm x 22cm x 30cm

Question One: Yes that is all you need. Sponge filters work using air displacement. As the air bubbles rise to the surface they drag water with them, which creates a current that draws the water through the sponge and out of the tube (uplift pipe).

The type and number of sponges and airpump that you need will depend on the size of your tank. Can you post it up so we can better advise you on this?

Surface agitation is good for shrimp as it ensures high dissolved oxygen levels and helps to remove carbon dioxide from the water.

Temperatures in winter should not be hugely affected by using an air pump unless you have the air pump outside and drawing in cold air. Most air pumps are warm to the touch, in part because as you compress stuff, it warms up. So the air being compressed inside the air pump would be warming up anyway. Regardless, if you suspect your tank will get cold in winter, an aquarium heater will keep everything warm.

Never used the Eden filters so I'll let someone else comment on that.

Don't thing there's a "rule" to the size of sponge filters to tank size volume.....the larger the better (more surface area, as the sponge becomes a smorgasbord for the shrimps to munch on).....

I've used both the Eden 501 / 511 ... Thought they were good, BUT depends on your tank volume. I tend to aim for a 8-10 times turover (i.e. if tank is 30 lt, my cannister filter would do a 240-300 lt/hr). I eventually swapped them for the eheim 2211.

+1 for the Eheim over the Eden. :victorious:

Also, with the sponge filter I think fishmosy has explained it better than anyone could, well done mate. The only info I can add is that you don't want too much air going through it as it becomes counter productive & there will be more air in uplift than water. My general rule is that you turn up the air till you can hear it then slowly turn it back till there is no sound from the bubbles. When you start to set it up you'll understand what I mean about the sound. :victorious:

I love sponge filters. Yes like fishmosy said all you need is an airpump .

Filtration requirements vary wildly from tank to tank. It all depends on stocking levels, feeding amount and frequency, water change amount and frequency, plants vs. no plants, substrate vs no substrate etc.

If you are fiddler (someone that reorganizes the tank regularly and generally just have your hand in the water weekly) get the best filter you can.

I don't fiddle, do not overfeed, do regular water changes and sponge filter maintenance, so I find sponge filters are great.

Though I am yet to try first hand how sponges only do for high end shrimp.

Short answer is you cannot over-filter, but you definitely can under-filter a tank. If you are not too experienced in aquariums I'd go with a canister filter with sponge on the intake.

Well put Ben, the only thing I will add is only clean your filters in a bucket of water from the tank, this is to keep a much bacteria alive and working as you can and don't waste the water give it to your favourite plant, it will grow well. My belief is clean and filter should NEVER be in the same sentence as well as blocked up should not be in the same one.

Serkan is a twice a year clean regular enough for you??? one I cannot clean as it has Vall growing in it, yea I know I am slack and twice a year is not recommended.

Bob

Thanks for the reply fishmosy and everyone else.

have updated tank size to my original post :)

the only thing I will add is only clean your filters in a bucket of water from the tank' date=' this is to keep a much bacteria alive and working as you can and don't waste the water give it to your favourite plant, it will grow well. My belief is clean and filter should NEVER be in the same sentence as well as blocked up should not be in the same one.[/quote']+1 That is what cleaning a filter is; squeeze the sponge half a dozen times in the same bucket during the water change every 30 water changes or so; earlier if you notice the filter struggling. Regular enough for me ;) I always argue that my tanks for breeding and raising fish not display :encouragement:

Its a fairly small tank so any of the smaller commercially available sponges will suit fine. I like this type

http://www.aquariumonlinestore.com.au/products-page/aquarium-filters/air-driven-filters/double-bio-sponge-filter-lge/

as I think they look better in shrimp tanks than the stand alone types,

http://www.aquariumonlinestore.com.au/products-page/aquarium-filters/air-driven-filters/sponge-filter-104/

however I mostly use large stand alone types in my tanks because most of my tanks are three foot long or bigger. Note the the twin filter is reliant on suction cups to hold it on, and the suction cups will lose grip and need replacing from time to time.

Either type would suit, its up to you.

Its a fairly small tank so any of the smaller commercially available sponges will suit fine. I like this type

http://www.aquariumonlinestore.com.au/products-page/aquarium-filters/air-driven-filters/double-bio-sponge-filter-lge/

as I think they look better in shrimp tanks than the stand alone types' date=

http://www.aquariumonlinestore.com.au/products-page/aquarium-filters/air-driven-filters/sponge-filter-104/

however I mostly use large stand alone types in my tanks because most of my tanks are three foot long or bigger. Note the the twin filter is reliant on suction cups to hold it on, and the suction cups will lose grip and need replacing from time to time.

Either type would suit, its up to you.

Thanks fishmosy for the advise!

Got a new question, I saw some pictures where the person have connected a canister intake to a sponge filter.. is that even possible? Is there an adaptor for it or do you have to DIY yourself?

Yeah this is a very good idea, it stops the shrimplets getting sucked into the inlet of the canister. I don't think there is a commercially available adaptor for this, definitely a DIY thing. :victorious:

We have done something similar, we attached a powerhead to the top of a sponge (it was for ciclids so it 'super-powered the suction) One downside was when the filter clogged it all 'sucked in' and didnt allow any more filtration.

To answer your question on the DIY, we heated the clear plastic tube that comes out the top of the sponge(with a heat gun), and jammed it onto the base of the powerhead- it now fits perfectly!

• HOF Member

I just used the sponge itself from the sponge filter - they come off for easy cleaning - and popped that over the canister intake with the plastic guard from the canister intake left in situ. Works a treat and the baby shrimp love it.

thanks everyone for the advise :)

the diy option seems very easy and without a need of power tools, will definitely look into it :)

Cheer! :)