Blue Fairy Shrimp - Neocaridina NOT Blue Jelly Shrimp (?)

BlueBolts

A pair of Blue Fairy Shrimp, with a recently berried female....apologies for iPhone pic.

post-15-13990984601_thumb.jpgpost-15-139909846013_thumb.jpg

There's been some confusion on the identity/variety of this shrimp.

Imke (well know shrimp breeder) clarified this recently ....

"The name of Blue Jelly shrimp has been adapted in Europe falsely.

Blue Jelly originally are bluish variant of Panda and king Kong shrimp, say caridina species.

Blue Fairy shrimp is a neocaridina type, fallen from red heteropoda, and seen in Taiwan first.

However, a German shop sells the neocaridina blue type as 'Blue Jelly' shrimp, and everything is mixed up, as Europeans now name the neocaridina type as 'Blue Jelly'.

It is a Neocaridina cf. heteropoda a 'blue rili' without red pigment."

If anyone has any further info, or comments to it's name, history etc....please post on this thread, so that we can clarify and confirm the variety/name etc...

Thanks

post-24-139909857325_thumb.jpg

post-24-139909857328_thumb.jpg

Hello,

as you are quoting my blog, I feel like giving some extra information. Blue shrimp seem to confuse everybody, but at least, we are only talking about common selling names.

The Blue Jelly has originally been the Blue Panda variant presented by Aaron Li (Taiwan); now used in Europe for blue neocaridina heteropoda (derived from red Rili shrimp), 'thanks' to RENDO shop (I add the link for information). The picture presented on the shop pages had been originally 'lend' by another Taiwanese breeder calling this shrimp 'Blue Fairy Shrimp'. To make confusion perfect, the guys in the US call the blue neocaridina heteropoda 'Blue Velvet Shrimp'.

So, we actually have:

neocaridina heteropoda pale blue body coloration: Blue Jelly (Europe) / Blue Velvet (USA)

neocaridina palmata (former zanghiajenisi): Blue Pearl Shrimp (Europe)

neocardidina ? in dark blue: Blue Sakura (Europe)

cardina cantonensis: Blue Panda or Blue King Kong with a blue body coloration: Blue Jelly by Aaron Li)

caridina serrata: Aura Blue Shrimp

- Imke

Thank you so much Imke...and great to see you in SKF !!!

So, what's the international name for these shrimps, and what should us Aussies refer them to ?

Will they produce Blue Rilli's, or is this variant purely without red/blue pigment ? Would you mix them with actual Blue Rilli's, or keep them as a separate variant ?

Thank you.

Well, I cannot advise you how to call your shrimp - best thing is to refer to the name your seller gave you.

For Blue Rili, there are only a handful of people having them, as the blue normally is inside the flesh and it is outsanding having one shrimp with having the blue on the outer shell. Ebi Ken from Canada has such shrimp: http://ebi-ken.blogspot.de/2012/01/full-blue-rili-is-something-real-and.html

The Blue Velvet will always look similar to Blue Pearl, but also very nice:

http://youtu.be/sw8vxa-y-Nc

• 7 months later...

I thought i'd bump up this post because shrimpsider's description of the types of blue shrimps is the most accurate in my opinion.

Now my question is what are the shrimps that i've got called? The blue from rilli but still with a bit of red? Red rilli blue gene (but i always thought this was a normal red rilli who kicked out blues)? I've been calling them "blue rilli" but that's apparently incorrect, and I don't want to call them "red rilli" because red rillis are red and clear.....

Quoting imke's blog/post, the blue jelly is used to also describe blue panda or blue KK with a blue body colouration. The blue velvet I often refer to is the variant off the red rilli blue body, thus some of its shrimplets are occasionally having the red caps/tails, but wthi selective breeding, these will eventually breed 100% true.

So the shrimp that you've got is the blue velvet, IMHO, the reference to rilli should always have a clear body, coloured head/tail....

wow that is so cool! i like the look of the blue velvets :) I have some red rili with blue gene maybe i can develop some :)

Just gotta get rid of all the other cherries in the tank first lol

• HOF Member

That's the hard part Oz I have my biggest tank devoted to Red Cherries and they are what started my journey but now I am seriously thinking I will just have a few of my best reds in a small tank and put my rillis in the big tank . It seems a bit silly to have so many reds that I'm doing nothing with when I could use that space for a better cause.

BB where do the blues that come from the chocolates come in? Are they completely different or can you use them to get better blue in the rilli or is this another little project for me to see the outcome? The chocolate blue seems quite intense

Agree with BB, only a Rilli if coloured head/clear body or vice versa. Just need to selectively breed to reinforce the gene, the blue as

a pure coloured cherry is our favourite cherry. They just look great in the tank, really stand out, my son's favourites.

"A Rilli (Urdu: رلي ) is a traditional Pakistani patchwork quilt made in the rural areas of Sindh and Balochistan. It is used as a bedspread, blanket, or carpet."

Maybe? lol :)

Nice work torface, but you don't need an excuse to procrastinate at work, you do it quite well without one, lol :smiley_simmons:

I don't care what you call them......I WANT! They are soooo pretty! :congratulatory: