Hello

Jodster

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to keeping shrimp, I have Red Cherries which seem to be going ok but want to know a bit more about other shrimp varieties, I am looking to next get some Yellow cherries which I understand to be just a colour variant of the red's and live in the exact same conditions, is this so and any other info would be appreciated

• HOF Member

Hi welcome to SKF. Are you intending to keep them in the same tank? All colour varieties of cherries will interbreed and you will end up losing your individual colour varieties so you need divided tanks or separate tanks for each colour.

Welcome to SKF, yes, all cherries WP are similar, their tolerance to varying conditions are great, although productivity will drop if the PH gets <6.5'ish. Cherries come in a varieties of amazing colours ! As you post, the forum will open up, alternatively premium membership for $12.50 will give you entire access to the forum, including the classifieds...etc. there's. HUGE shrimp sale happening at 10pm tomorrow (Sunday) !

Thanks Bluebolts and Ineke, I do have some other tanks with bristle nose and L numbers which shouldn't harm the shrimp in theory, but how would the shrimp 'feel' with large tank mates?

Iv heard that a lot of plecos are omnivorous and will eat baby shrimp if I'm wrong would love to know then I could put them in my breeding bn tank lol

• HOF Member

If they feel threatened they will hide all the time and you won't see them. In theory the BN and L numbers won't eat them but I don't know whether in fact they won't . Generally most fish will eat anything that will fit in their mouth. I keep my fish separate from the shrimp but someone else may be able to tell you if theirs are safe as we have a few breeders on this forum

Bretty4527 I hope they will be 'ok' with bn's otherwise I will need a stack more tanks!

Depends on the tank setup (lots of hiding spots and zones where the L & Bristlenose can't get access) and whether the shrimps can maintain and expand their colony even if they're being harassed. BUT, a shrimp only tank is the best outcome and advise :-)

The shrimp sale happens periodically, and done by Boss Aquaria (Dean)... The $ for the shrimp sale was great ! Thisis promises to be even better. There's also a auction each month.... I thing it's coming up too ?

So i'm just trying to get my head around this forum, do I need to build up points of something to get access to other parts of the site? How does this work?

With the shrimp auction would it be worth my while to pay the $12.50 if I was looking to get say 10 yellow cherrie shrimp or should I just purchase of one of the other sites such as gumtree?

One of the guys said it was the best $12.50 he has spent lol I just asked if people have crs/cbs and a couple of people sent me a msg saying what they have and how much ect

I hear that shrimp are pretty good in the mail, do you know how long they will 'last'. I mean shipped in the mail

With the shrimp auction would it be worth my while to pay the $12.50 if I was looking to get say 10 yellow cherrie shrimp or should I just purchase of one of the other sites such as gumtree?

Definitely the prem membership is the best option. At SKF, we have a Code Of Conduct, and you are assured of getting what you're paying for etc....

Hey Jodster, welcome to SKF. Price will depend on the grade of the shrimp but you are looking at $1- $15 per shrimp for yellows as a really rough guide.

Re mailing shrimp: we do it regularly using special breather bags or similar. Most often they go express overnight post, though people have had them lost for much longer with only minimal deaths

Welcome to the forum, premium is definitely the way to go, you get access to the classifieds, auctions & the SKF library. Mailing shrimp has definitely gotten a lot safer for the shrimp since Kordon breather bags, they have lasted up to two weeks with minimal losses. Hope you have as much fun here as we do. :encouragement:

image_zps2f2cc2b2.jpg

Wow, they are very hardy Wraithie, I wouldn't have thought they could go more and a couple of days in transit.

Hi and welcome, plenty of colour variations with cherries, just remember to keep them separate as they will interbreed Welcome to SKF